Explosive Kegs

The following is a post made by 'alainsane' from this thread. My responses are preceded by '----'.

So you're saying that the growing fondness and the shared experiences (neither of which was amply developed imo) was a proper build up for the semi-consensual rape scene that occurred in the tent? Pshaw.

---Your emotive and grossly inappropriate use of the word "rape" in this context betrays an extremely limited, and somewhat prudish, understanding of the complex sexual dynamics that often occur between consenting adults.
There is a reason why you feel so uncomfortable watching "that" scene, but you haven't mentioned it in this post.
Perhaps if the film had been two or three years long, the relationship leading up to "that" scene may have been "amply developed" enough for you.

I suppose When Harry Met Sally would have been just as romantic if Harry had taken Sally forcefully and violently in the bathroom of the roadside diner on their first road trip. Or if instead of Oooohing in her ear, the masked man had instead fingered Amelie on the amusement park ride. Orrr....(to be fair to both sexes) what would we have thought if Buttercup had shoved Wesley to the ground, straddled his face and commanded, "Eat me, farm boy," with Wesley replying a muffled "As you wish." Would we have stood for these betrayal of characters and still considered them love stories? I think not.

----You appear to prefer the sanitised piffle churned out with such regularity to appease those who like everything neat and tidy with a happy ending grafted on so you can feel well and truly "entertained".
If realism is so traumatic for you, then perhaps you should wrap yourself in the duvet with a tub of Ben & Jerry's and watch a nice harmless old Doris Day movie.
You might want to select one where Rock Hudson isn't the co-star, I know how sensitive you are to "that" type of thing...

The betrayal of characters arose when the moviemakers or author or whoever took a character like Heath Ledger's--a man who by his own words seems to be a virgin of every kind--and put him in a situation where's he's wetting his palm so he can lube his penis before penetrating his partner. How would he even know how or why to do that?? Is that the expectable consummation of their burgeoning relationship? Reasonably, wouldn't some kind of touching/fondling have preceded that act...if they were trying to set up a good love story, I mean.

----"a virgin of every kind"?
I think we can safely assume that he'd, more than likely, enjoyed intimacies with women, given that he is an attractive man, and it may surprise you to know that the method of lubrication you describe, sometimes referred to as the "spit 'n' shove", is often used by heterosexual men prior to "normal" intercourse.
I suspect your wife can confirm this.

Yes, there are gratuitous hetero sex scenes in movies. I don't particularly like those scenes either. And rarely are the movies containing such scenes the ones I hold dear--certainly not in any "love story."

The basic problem lies in the hype that surrounded the movie. It's trumpeted as a love story like no other, and indeed, after that dubious start, it was a touching and tragic love story. It doesn't explain or excuse what happened before, though.

----"dubious", "doesn't explain or excuse".... have you heard yourself?
I'm not sure what happened to you in life to give you such a jaundiced attitude and make you feel so "uncomfortable" about "that" scene in Brokeback Mountain, but i don't suppose you have ever been moved to post your objections to any other scenes, depicting sex acts, in mainstream movies.
The number of times I've seen male characters forcing themselves on their female conquests, who often appear to be unwilling participants, or at least initially, is too numerous to mention. 'Basic Instinct' springs to mind, but there have been literally hundreds more.

Let's face it, the root of your discomfort lies in the fact that it is two men, and that the sex is primitive and perfunctory, not sanitised and "romantic", as you would have it.
"That" scene was both vital for the movie, and, in a wider context, vital for the continuing development of understanding, tolerance and acceptance of those who have been, and continue to be, persecuted and victimised in society.
The fact that the central characters were not depicted in the usual fashion, that of simpering effeminate caricatures, to appease the delicate sensibilities of the majority of heterosexuals, who can only tolerate gay men on screen if they can laugh at them, is to be applauded rather than criticised.
It's not too long ago that a similar fuss would have been made about an "inter-racial" kiss being shown on TV, and how "uncomfortable" did it make some people feel to see a black man having sex with a white woman?

I suggest you watch the movie again with an open mind, you may discover that the scene where Jake Gyllenhaal's character is beaten to death because he is gay is where your discomfort should begin and end.

Last edited:
realitybites said:
It feels too raw, animalistic, and exclusionary for my tastes. I mean, I for one would not want to be the mere target of an explosive, physical release. Perhaps most men can relate, but I think it doesn't sit as well with women. It reminds me of a certain, uncomfortable scene from Brokeback Mountain.
God that's so funny. but really and I know what you mean. Plus I guess it's unusually "testosterone" like for our usually so sweet Mr. Morrissey, but come on now after all he is a man, hmmm?

----"a virgin of every kind"?
I think we can safely assume that he'd, more than likely, enjoyed intimacies with women, given that he is an attractive man,

Ennis tells Jack: [SIZE=-1]"You may be a sinner, but I haven't had the opportunity."
Only the very naive would conclude they were talking about anything other than sex.

Spit & Shove: how romantic.

You addressed my main points very much the way Morrithey argues--by not touching on the fundamental point made and trying to make much of very little. Brokeback was sold as a love story. If moviemakers and media hypers didn't want audiences to be jarred painfully out of their expectations of a homosexual love story, perhaps they should have been more careful to apply the spit before they shoved.

There's a whole range of love story-esque, but that scene did not fit any of those. Bad Education has scenes just as realistic (and unromantic) as the tent scene, but it wasn't billed as a love story. From RottenTomatoes.com: [/SIZE]Critical Consensus: "..Brokeback Mountain's gay love story is imbued with heartbreaking universality, helped by the moving performances of Ledger and Gyllenhaal."
[SIZE=-1]
The activity in the tent scene would not have violated the love story model if it'd been staged later in the movie...and under circumstances other than drunken, hazey, violent horniness.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
alainsane said:
Ennis tells Jack: [SIZE=-1]"You may be a sinner, but I haven't had the opportunity."
Only the very naive would conclude they were talking about anything other than sex.

You addressed my main points very much the way Morrithey argues--by not touching on the fundamental point made and trying to make much of very little. Brokeback was sold as a love story. If moviemakers and media hypers didn't want audiences to be jarred painfully out of their expectations of a homosexual love story, perhaps they should have been more careful to apply the spit before they shoved.

There's a whole range of love story-esque, but that scene did not fit any of those. Bad Education has scenes just as realistic (and unromantic) as the tent scene, but it wasn't billed as a love story. From RottenTomatoes.com: [/SIZE]Critical Consensus: "..Brokeback Mountain's gay love story is imbued with heartbreaking universality, helped by the moving performances of Ledger and Gyllenhaal."
[SIZE=-1]
The activity in the tent scene would not have violated the love story model if it'd been staged later in the movie...and under circumstances other than drunken, hazey, violent horniness.
[/SIZE]
You seem to be focusing too much on semantics to overcompensate for or divert attention away from something else. I don't go into the cinema and demand that the film live up to the press release (which is always incredibly lame and broad for marketing purposes) of all things, but instead want to see something worthwhile no matter the subject or content. With Brokeback Mountain I know I got that.

dazzak said:
You seem to be focusing too much on semantics to overcompensate for or divert attention away from something else. I don't go into the cinema and demand that the film live up to the press release (which is always incredibly lame and broad for marketing purposes) of all things, but instead want to see something worthwhile no matter the subject or content. With Brokeback Mountain I know I got that.
Divert attention from what else, Dazzak? There's nothing else about this movie that I have a problem with. My fundamental argument has been and is "Don't sell a movie as a "love story" and then have something so unloving occur between the two characters we're supposed to care about." Drunken, hazey, violent f***ing is not loving and is not an integral part of a love story. No greater proof of that is needed than trying to inject that same kind of action into other much-beloved cinematic love stories and seeing how they would fail or suffer as love stories.

Having characters act in ways contrary to the way they've been developed is bad film making...i.e. making Ennis look like a seasoned sex pro when he's a self-proclaimed virgin is bad film making.

alainsane said:
Having characters act in ways contrary to the way they've been developed is bad film making...i.e. making Ennis look like a seasoned sex pro when he's a self-proclaimed virgin is bad film making.

Here, here! There is a fundemental lack of the understanding of story in our culture due to the lack of good story telling on the big screen and other mediums. Just because a film like Brokeback may be a significant step toward gay culture being accepted in the mainstream does not absolve it of having to remain believable to the line of the love story in the eyes of the public. Its not anti-gay, its anti poor story telling. Not to say that the film on the whole is worthless, but perhaps this portion was a misstep.

zom

zom said:
Here, here! There is a fundemental lack of the understanding of story in our culture due to the lack of good story telling on the big screen and other mediums. Just because a film like Brokeback may be a significant step toward gay culture being accepted in the mainstream does not absolve it of having to remain believable to the line of the love story in the eyes of the public. Its not anti-gay, its anti poor story telling. Not to say that the film on the whole is worthless, but perhaps this portion was a misstep.

zom
I'm sorry, but anal sex isn't exactly rocket science. There's no such thing as a "seasoned sex pro" when it comes to it. I'm actually really puzzled at how that scene jars with the both of you so much, but there is an obvious explanation. Watching you try to say how it is contrary to Ennis' earlier character portrayal is frankly laughable. I really don't have a problem with people not liking Brokeback Mountain (some of my friends have given very valid reasons for not liking it), but this one is ridiculous. The fact that one of the scenes you have a gripe with just so happens to be the male sex scene is somewhat telling.

dazzak said:
I'm sorry, but anal sex isn't exactly rocket science. There's no such thing as a "seasoned sex pro" when it comes to it. I'm actually really puzzled at how that scene jars with the both of you so much, but there is an obvious explanation. Watching you try to say how it is contrary to Ennis' earlier character portrayal is frankly laughable. I really don't have a problem with people not liking Brokeback Mountain (some of my friends have given very valid reasons for not liking it), but this one is ridiculous. The fact that one of the scenes you have a gripe with just so happens to be the male sex scene is somewhat telling.

Are you honestly saying experience plays no role in sex?!? Please. You have got to be kidding me!

I never said I was jarred. I said it was poor story telling.

Let it "tell you" what ever you want. You have missed my point. Its not about subject matter, its a fault in craft.

zom

zom said:
Are you honestly saying experience plays no role in sex?!? Please. You have got to be kidding me!

I never said I was jarred. I said it was poor story telling.

Let it "tell you" what ever you want. You have missed my point. Its not about subject matter, its a fault in craft.

zom
I never said experience wasn't a part of sex, but even if I did, it wouldn't make a difference. The two have clearly had sex before, so they both know what it involves. The scene is very realistic in my eyes.

Please explain to me why exactly that scene is indicative of "poor storytelling". I am still none the wiser as to why anyone would feel this way.

dazzak said:
I never said experience wasn't a part of sex, but even if I did, it wouldn't make a difference. The two have clearly had sex before, so they both know what it involves. The scene is very realistic in my eyes.

Please explain to me why exactly that scene is indicative of "poor storytelling". I am still none the wiser as to why anyone would feel this way.

You said: I'm sorry, but anal sex isn't exactly rocket science. There's no such thing as a "seasoned sex pro" when it comes to it.

This is where you talked about experience. A word to the wise: regardless of the type of sex, there is such a thing as a seasoned sex pro.

Dude, spit and shove denotes a level of experience.

Fine. In your eyes the scene is realistic. To others it is not.

To answer the final portion of your post Ill requote alainsane:

Alain and I happen to agree on this. Perhaps it is a prefrence in method that seperates us on this dazzak. But dont confuse it for being antigay.

zom

frankly, the first time I heard it - not within the context of ROTT, but as a single downloaded from here (posted by some nice person!)...I thought he was singing about being a suicide bomber. explosive kegs, as in explosive kegs filled with gunpowder.

granted, that was b/c I'd heard it AFTER "Far-Off Places" so my brain was already fixed on the whole Bin Laden / terrorist idea.

zom said:
You said: I'm sorry, but anal sex isn't exactly rocket science. There's no such thing as a "seasoned sex pro" when it comes to it.

This is where you talked about experience. A word to the wise: regardless of the type of sex, there is such a thing as a seasoned sex pro.

Dude, spit and shove denotes a level of experience.

Fine. In your eyes the scene is realistic. To others it is not.

To answer the final portion of your post Ill requote alainsane:

Alain and I happen to agree on this. Perhaps it is a prefrence in method that seperates us on this dazzak. But dont confuse it for being antigay.

zom
You're misconstruing my words. I never said experience didn't come into sex at all, I said it doesn't take a "seasoned pro" to figure out what goes where (which is what Ennis and Jack did). They had sex, but it wasn't exactly amazing. This is what experience brings - more pleasure. One doesn't need experience to have sex, it just helps.

Do you know what really denotes a level of experience? Carrying lube around with you. Using spit is just logical and what any first timer would do. I don't understand why you associate Ennis knowing to use spit with him being a regular at this kind of thing.

The reason Ennis acts in a manner contrary to his earlier portrayal is because, quite frankly, he's never had anal sex with a man before. It's not something one does every day, so it has a certain effect on people and changes them somewhat.

For the record (and on topic), while I think the "kegs" line shatters an image I'd held of Morrissey, that image was and will continue to be far too limiting. I want to keep Morrissey in my own way, but it's just a wretched illusion. Morrissey has every right to express himself in any manner he sees fit. The line seems a sharp contrast to the "most people keep their brains between their legs" line, but he wouldn't be alive and human if he didn't have all these thoughts and feelings bouncing around inside him. The trick isn't loving/admiring people in spite of their flaws but realizing that it's our own flaws preventing us from loving others completely--including Freeyourself. ;)

Last edited:
dazzak said:
Using spit is just logical and what any first timer would do. I don't understand why you associate Ennis knowing to use spit with him being a regular at this kind of thing.

Oh please.

zom

Ennis didn't probe area conditions, find them unsuitable, back out, and then come back with some passable solution.

He whipped it out, licked his palm, wetted the head, and dove in. It suggests some kind of mastery.

alainsane said:

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

I've yet to see BM described as simply a "love story", it's usually billed as a drama/romance, therefore, if your cosy preconceptions were shattered so abruptly by "that" scene then perhaps you should research the theme and possible content of a film more thoroughly before you order your popcorn.
I also noticed that the only part of my post you responded to directly was regarding Ennis's sexual history, where you clumsily try to prove that Ennis was a "virgin", prior to "that" scene, by brandishing an ambiguous quote.
The fact that Ennis DID in fact use his own saliva as a lubricant is evidence enough that he had done it before in some context or other, so to place so much emphasis on that to criticise the validity of the scene is both misguided and inaccurate.

As for whether or not the colloquialism "spit and shove" is romantic or not, I wouldn't know, I'm attempting to educate you, not romance you.

Last edited:
Excuse me for sounding combative, but the elephant in the corner in this thread is Alan's attempt to rescue his wife, in 20 thousand words or more, when she's found herself being asked to explain or defend an opinion. See the last James Blunt thread for the debut of this new, apparently regular Solo feature.

It's boring, and it isn't sincere discussion.

The thread is idiotic anyway, but since I've begun making a post, please open your hearts and be patient as I share my thoughts on some of the previous remarks.

"It feels too raw, animalistic, and exclusionary for my tastes."

I felt much the same way when Jehne told the chatroom that her skin was glowing because Alan, whom she'd met just hours earlier, had just f***ed her. I would identify my memory of that remark as Elephant in the Corner #2 in my experience of reading this thread, actually.

"Drunken, hazey, violent f***ing is not loving and is not an integral part of a love story."

It most certainly can be, and it most likely is. I see some awkward marriage counselling in your future, Angerbauer.

"Ennis didn't probe area conditions, find them unsuitable, back out, and then come back with some passable solution."

It's an asshole, not a maze. Please, lube up. Jehne's not busy. Explore.

As for the alleged sexual experience implied by a man's licking his hand before handling his dick, that's an inspiration most 12 year old boys have had and been thankful for. And if Ennis had been fantasizing for many years about f***ing someone in the ass, as we should expect him to have been doing, then he'd certainly have been prepared for his moment in the spotlight.

Please ban my username now. Thanks.

dazzak said:
I'm sorry, but anal sex isn't exactly rocket science. There's no such thing as a "seasoned sex pro" when it comes to it.

I truly don't want to get into this whole Brokeback Mountain business, but a couple quick words. I must disagree that there is 'no such thing as a seasoned sex pro' when it comes to anal sex - one can be a seasoned pro at any form of sexual activity. At the very least, it's more difficult to assf*** well than it is to kiss well! And while dazzak is right that any fool knows 'where to put it', there's... how shall we say... skill involved in making sure that it actually ends up inside. If you've done it before, you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't, nevermind. :)

But, speaking about the abrupt quality of the sex in Brokeback Mountain, the film is merely faithful to Proux's original story. I quote,

--
Ennis ran full throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his erect cock. Ennis jerked his hand away as though he'd touched fire, got to his knees, unbuckled his belt, shoved his pants down, hauled Jack onto all fours, and, with the help of the clear slick and a little spit, entered him, nothing he'd done before but no instruction manual needed.
--

Emphasis mine, of course.

Ok, carry on.

xo, math+

Last edited:
Math Tinder said:
nothing he'd done before but no instruction manual needed.
--

Emphasis mine, of course.

Ok, carry on.

xo, math+
Thank you very much for completely blowing their argument out of the water.

And I know that one can be an expert at anal sex, but for the vast majority of people - it's fairly cut and dry (emphasis on the dry part - ouch!).