Fahrenheit 9/11 breaks box office records in Britain

T

talking points

Fahrenheit 9/11 breaks box office records in Britain

Mon Jul 12, 9:30 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - The prize-winning polemical "Fahrenheit 9/11" which savagely attacks US President George W. Bush for the war in Iraq has smashed box office records for a documentary in Britain.

The movie has taken 1.3 million pounds (2 million euros, 2.4 million dollars) since its release on Friday -- the biggest opening weekend for a documentary.

Britain's previous highest opening weekend for a documentary was set by Moore's last film "Bowling for Columbine" which took 158,000 pounds in its first three days.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" now looks almost certain set to become Britain's highest grossing documentary, overtaking the record currently held by mountaineering film "Touching the Void", which took 2.58 million pounds.

It is also the hottest cinema ticket in France, where it opened on Wednesday.

Its success in Europe is mirroring that which the documentary has already recorded in the United States, where it has been playing to packed theatres since June 25.

> Fahrenheit 9/11 breaks box office records in Britain

> Mon Jul 12, 9:30 AM ET

> LONDON (AFP) - The prize-winning polemical "Fahrenheit 9/11"
> which savagely attacks US President George W. Bush for the war in Iraq has
> smashed box office records for a documentary in Britain.

> The movie has taken 1.3 million pounds (2 million euros, 2.4 million
> dollars) since its release on Friday -- the biggest opening weekend for a
> documentary.

> Britain's previous highest opening weekend for a documentary was set by
> Moore's last film "Bowling for Columbine" which took 158,000
> pounds in its first three days.

> "Fahrenheit 9/11" now looks almost certain set to become
> Britain's highest grossing documentary, overtaking the record currently
> held by mountaineering film "Touching the Void", which took 2.58
> million pounds.

> It is also the hottest cinema ticket in France, where it opened on
> Wednesday.

> Its success in Europe is mirroring that which the documentary has already
> recorded in the United States, where it has been playing to packed
> theatres since June 25.
It's a brilliant documentary that I've seen twice. Brilliant and sad. I am not proud of being an American.

> It's a brilliant documentary that I've seen twice. Brilliant and sad. I am
> not proud of being an American.

So you think a 90 nation coalition was led into Afghanistan by the USA in order to build an oil pipeline for Unocal (plans for which were dropped by Unocal in 1998)?

Some fools will applaud anything.

90 nation coalition?!?!?!?
LOLOL.
Yes,I think it included The Peoples Republic of Klingon,Ozland,Wonkaworld,Lesbania,Dykeland,Wankersville,not to mention Jizzania.

Get a grip.

How many countries are there in total?

It can't be that much more than 90...!

Re: How many countries are there in total?

> It can't be that much more than 90...!

90 isn't even half.....

It depends how you count. 193 sovereign nations, plus a bunch of dependant areas and disputed territories.

America assembled the largest coalition of nations in the history of the world
after 9/11. Which isn't surprising, considering 80 nations suffered casualties in the 9/11 terrorist attack.

> 90 isn't even half.....

> It depends how you count. 193 sovereign nations, plus a bunch of dependant
> areas and disputed territories.

> America assembled the largest coalition of nations in the history of the
> world
> after 9/11. Which isn't surprising, considering 80 nations suffered
> casualties in the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Oh, stop! Oh, wait - don't forget Afrika Bambatta and the Zulu 'nation', also Stankonia.. The nations that participated (including Costa Rica which has no military) were all under extreme pressure from the U.S. to do so. And most did so against the will of the people of their country. The coalition, with the exception of Britain was simply bowing to whatever the U.S. wanted for fear of making Bush mad.

Fahrenheit 9/11 is pure propaganda, so you obviously can't claim to care about truth

> 90 nation coalition?!?!?!?
> LOLOL.

That was the count in the coaltion after 9/11, who supported and offered assistance in the global war on terrorism as we went into Afghanistan.

> Yes,I think it included The Peoples Republic of
> Klingon,Ozland,Wonkaworld,Lesbania,Dykeland,Wankersville,not to mention
> Jizzania.

> Get a grip.

You need to get a grip. Even France and Canada sent troops to Afghanistan, moron.

Michael Moore thought the Taliban should be left alone though. And so did Saudi Arabia, who Moore says Bush has been trying to please.

Moore thought the reason we went there was for a Unocal pipeline that was dropped in 1998!!

Currently he considers the jihadists and Saddam loyalists in Iraq to be "the revolution," "the minutemen."

Michael Moore is on the side of Islamic fundamentalist jihadists, and an enemy of the truth.

But keep clapping! I notice you didn't reply to my questions about the Unocal pipeline, so I take it you're as disinterested in truth and reality as Moore.

By the way, I saw Bowling for Columbine on cable, and I notice Moore goes on about irrational fear and fear-mongering. he carries this theme over into the new movie. Well, then, what we should we say about about Moore's claim that America is run by a secret cabal that is in league with the terrorists?!? This isn't spreading irrational fear??

I guess it would be too much to ask the fat ignoramous and his clapping audience of fools to look in a mirror.....

> Oh, stop! Oh, wait - don't forget Afrika Bambatta and the Zulu 'nation',
> also Stankonia.. The nations that participated (including Costa Rica which
> has no military) were all under extreme pressure from the U.S. to do so.
> And most did so against the will of the people of their country. The
> coalition, with the exception of Britain was simply bowing to whatever the
> U.S. wanted for fear of making Bush mad.

You're confusing the "Coalition of the Willing" in Iraq (substantially smaller and more controversial) with the post-9/11 international coalition assisting in the greater war on terror.

Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 is pure propaganda, so you obviously can't claim to care about truth

Moore just seems to be offering an alternative type of voice - one that's quite different from the timid, inoffensive voice of American media. Freedom of speech is hard when you've got advertising revinue to worry about.
Moore's ultimate argument is somewhat specious, but it is entertaining and basically true at the human level.

> That was the count in the coaltion after 9/11, who supported and offered
> assistance in the global war on terrorism as we went into Afghanistan.

> You need to get a grip. Even France and Canada sent troops to Afghanistan,
> moron.

> Michael Moore thought the Taliban should be left alone though. And so did
> Saudi Arabia, who Moore says Bush has been trying to please.

> Moore thought the reason we went there was for a Unocal pipeline that was
> dropped in 1998!!

> Currently he considers the jihadists and Saddam loyalists in Iraq to be
> "the revolution," "the minutemen."

> Michael Moore is on the side of Islamic fundamentalist jihadists, and an
> enemy of the truth.

> But keep clapping! I notice you didn't reply to my questions about the
> Unocal pipeline, so I take it you're as disinterested in truth and reality
> as Moore.

> By the way, I saw Bowling for Columbine on cable, and I notice Moore goes
> on about irrational fear and fear-mongering. he carries this theme over
> into the new movie. Well, then, what we should we say about about Moore's
> claim that America is run by a secret cabal that is in league with the
> terrorists?!? This isn't spreading irrational fear??

> I guess it would be too much to ask the fat ignoramous and his clapping
> audience of fools to look in a mirror.....

Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 is pure propaganda, so you obviously can't claim to care about truth

You're as stupid as someone who says they subscribe to the Limbaugh Letter because the liberal media doesn't tell the truth like Rush does.

Again, I ask you, do you think Afghanistan was invaded for a Unocal pipeline that Unocal dropped in 1998?

If you do, by all means, support Michael Moore's film, and I can dismiss you as a fool. Anyone who applauds a film containing deceptions from beginning to end cannot claim to be on the side of truth and honesty and an informed citizenry.

If you don't, you ought to call the film what it is: Deceptive propaganda.

> Moore just seems to be offering an alternative type of voice - one that's
> quite different from the timid, inoffensive voice of American media.
> Freedom of speech is hard when you've got advertising revinue to worry
> about.
> Moore's ultimate argument is somewhat specious, but it is entertaining and
> basically true at the human level.

The most excellent propaganda I have ever seen was in the USA last year.
The CBS nightly "news" bulletin.
It was Orwellian in its simplicity and complete degradation of the truth;censored news for morons.
The unfortunate thing is,most Americans get their perceptions of their world from this.
As for what American news media says about the rest of the world,lol!
It has all the intellectual coherence and thought-provoking qualities of a Barney the Dinosaur episode.
America is most definitely NOT the world.

Please be specific in your criticism about the propaganda.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911notes/

> The most excellent propaganda I have ever seen was in the USA last year.
> The CBS nightly "news" bulletin.
> It was Orwellian in its simplicity and complete degradation of the
> truth;censored news for morons.

I don't think someone who supports a propaganda film which rewrites recent history should be citing Orwell as in your corner.....

> I don't think someone who supports a propaganda film which rewrites recent
> history should be citing Orwell as in your corner.....

365 hourly news bulletins yearly from this source alone,not to mention specials and the whole vast army of daily American goverment(ie:practically all US media) propaganda emanating elsewhere versus one 2 hour film???
Which is the more Orwellian???

Get a grip!

> Again, I ask you, do you think Afghanistan was invaded for a Unocal
> pipeline that Unocal dropped in 1998?

Saying that the Unocal pipeline has nothing to do with the invasion of Afghanistan makes you look as foolish as someone who says that the Unocal pipeline has everything to do with the invasion.

As dumb as I think George Bush is, I have to believe that the man can hold more than one idea in his head. You can't even mention WMDs to a republican without hearing that it was "one of many reasons to invade Iraq." Fine, then why is it so hard to believe that Unocal was one of the many reasons to invade Afghanistan?

And I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the fact that Unocal dropped the pipeline in 1998. By that logic, the fact that Morrissey was dropped from his label in 1998 proves that this "You Are The Quarry" album that we have been hearing about is pure propaganda from the left.

I could say more, but you get the general idea.

Again, you keep harping on one particular point in the film. Moore was wrong to draw conclusions about Afghanistan, but correct in the larger sense of pointing out the complex political ties between the Bush Administration and big business. It's like calling a key witness to a shooting a liar because he says the murder weapon was a Colt and not a Smith & Wesson.

Unocal did indeed abandon the pipeline. It is also true that Karzai and Khalilzad are former Unocal advisors. Coincidence? Not when you consider all the other links Moore-- and many others-- have pointed out. The United States has a strategic interest in the Caspian Sea region as well as Iraq, and whether the stooges wear Unocal badges or those of some other company, you can be sure the United States will not leave the fate of that region to chance. And for what? For money and a military strategy based on an outdated paradigm. You point to Moore's bad bit of knitting about Unocal; I say wait a few years.

In any case, that mountain of facts, which you would prefer to see dissolve into the sands of propaganda and blow away, casts a long and damning shadow over the Bush Administration.

What comes out in Moore's film is a conflict of interest. A small group of men with ties to big oil companies all but unilaterally pushed for an invasion of the world's second most oil-rich nation based on a pretext which, when proved to be false, was brushed aside as an "intellligence failure". You're a fool if you don't think the American people ouught to be outraged.

Selecting one item from Moore's film to bash may be pedantically satisfying, but it ignores the larger questions. It's hilarious to me that you single out one aspect of Moore's documentary and point to it as evidence that the whole thing is worthless.

Given that standard of credulity, how can you possibly see the Bush Administration as playing straight with the American people? If one lie, exaggeration, or-- as is the case with Moore-- misinterpretation of facts is cause to reject someone as a total liar lacking all credibility, you must really despise George W. Bush.

But of course you will triumphantly retort by reminding me that you never actually said you supported Bush, just that Moore is a liar. And in this you will be arguing, as you always do, eristically.

> Saying that the Unocal pipeline has nothing to do with the invasion of
> Afghanistan makes you look as foolish as someone who says that the Unocal
> pipeline has everything to do with the invasion.

Unocal had NOTHING to do with the invasion. The Unocal pipeline was dropped in 1998 and that's the end of that. As of now, no pipeline has been built (the U.S. is building a highway in Afghanistan though, something Afghanistan desperately needs for the good of its own people....), and if one should be built in the future, Unocal will have nothing to do with it (it's of course perfectly rational for Afghanistan to want a pipeline...).

For two, the idea that America would invade Afghanistan for one pipeline is on its face an absurd and simplistic view of U.S. foreign policy. But I don't even need to make this point, since the facts show Unocal's consideration of a pipeline was entirely a Clinton-era thing, which was dropped, and Unocal has no plans or desire to build one anymore.

> As dumb as I think George Bush is, I have to believe that the man can hold
> more than one idea in his head.

He couldn't have been holding the idea of a Unocal pipeline in his head, as Unocal dropped that idea in 1998, before Bush took office, and have not returned to that idea since. I think maybe if I repeat reality enough to you it'll sink in? Or do you simply want to believe in Michael Moore's worldview and distorting innuendo far too much?

As for holding more than one idea in one's head, I might ask you the same question. One could hold these two ideas: Bush is a bad president, and Michael Moore is a fat ignoramous who makes distorting, deceptive, ridiculous propaganda films. If you're gonna hold up Fahrenheit 9/11 as something I should respect, well then I dismiss all of your claims to be anti-propaganda and pro-truth. You're about as respectable as someone who thinks Ann Coulter is the greatest political mind of our time and that the right wing propganda video The Clinton Chronicles was a great documentary of the 1990s. Look in the mirror if you dare......

>You can't even mention WMDs to a
> republican without hearing that it was "one of many reasons to invade
> Iraq." Fine, then why is it so hard to believe that Unocal was one of
> the many reasons to invade Afghanistan?

Because Unocal dropped the pipeline in 1998 and hasn't returned to it since....

> And I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the fact that Unocal dropped the
> pipeline in 1998. By that logic, the fact that Morrissey was dropped from
> his label in 1998 proves that this "You Are The Quarry" album
> that we have been hearing about is pure propaganda from the left.

I keep returning to it because, as a matter of FACT, Unocal does not want to build a pipeline in Afghanistan. Call me crazy, but I don't see how Bush could've invaded Afghanistan for a Unocal pipeline when Unocal does not want to build a pipeline.....

> I could say more, but you get the general idea.

You can keep on believing we toppled the Taliban for Unocal. Do let me know when Unocal builds this pipeline. I happen to think 9/11 was the reason America invaded Afghanistan, but then I'm one of those silly people with a grip on reality.....

PRESS RELEASE FROM UNOCAL:

Controversial new movie repeats old and false allegations about Unocal

El Segundo, Calif., June 30, 2004 -- In his new movie, Fahrenheit 9/11, Michael Moore reviews the Bush administration’s publicly stated rationale for the war against terrorism in Afghanistan – it was part of the U.S. response to the attacks of September 11, 2001 – and then suggests that the real reason for the war was, at least in part, to enable Unocal to proceed with a natural gas pipeline project in Afghanistan and for other U.S. energy and oil-service companies to participate in various projects in that country.

Unocal has absolutely no intention of participating in an Afghanistan pipeline project nor are we in discussions with any parties about doing so. We had no “understanding” with the Bush Administration that once U.S. military forces removed the Taliban from power we would proceed with such a project. Further, Hamid Karzai, the president of Afghanistan, was never a consultant or adviser to Unocal, as Moore erroneously asserts.

During the mid-1990s, a Unocal subsidiary joined a consortium that proposed to build a natural gas pipeline from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan to Pakistan. Negotiations concerning this project proposal were never concluded with representatives of these governments and no construction ever began.

In August 1998, Unocal ended its active participation in the proposed project, a full three years before the terrorist attacks of September 11, and nearly four years before the U.S. action in Afghanistan. The company formally withdrew from the project consortium in December 1998 (see news release). Our withdrawal from this business consortium was made on a commercial basis and has not been reconsidered.

http://www.unocal.com/uclnews/2004news/063004.htm

Back
Top Bottom