Forget the hate. Watch this and remember He is this person. Still. And always

he was this person - whether he still is now is debatable. This video is from 35 years ago - ie: half a lifetime. Is anyone exactly the same person they were 35 years ago? Don't people change, grow, alter their thinking and behaviour over several decades? Has Morrissey really been frozen in amber, unchanging for all these years? Be a bit odd - wouldn't it? :unsure:

For what I know, parts fall away and grow inside a person and the main parts still exist. So the overriding features that Morrissey was are there but maybe have developed in other ways that are different from how he was. It happens to everyone

he was this person - whether he still is now is debatable. This video is from 35 years ago - ie: half a lifetime. Is anyone exactly the same person they were 35 years ago? Don't people change, grow, alter their thinking and behaviour over several decades? Has Morrissey really been frozen in amber, unchanging for all these years? Be a bit odd - wouldn't it? :unsure:
Yes. But you are here. Why? Because of what he is now? No. Because of what he was then.

at every single moment of one's life one is what one is going to be no less than what one has been. art is a symbol because man is a symbol -- Oscar Wilde

Nobody is exactly the person they were 35 or however many years ago, yet in essence we remain the same imo.

This obsession with wanting Morrissey to be the same person he was 35 years ago is just weird.

Happily surrounded by a bunch of fawning acolytes.

Nothing’s changed…

I always loved this one because it seems so self deprecating in a way. There are other videos where he is too like LOTFIP, Ask - can't think of more right now.
I don't know if he is the same person or not but I don't like who he is now.

Being depressed and feeling maladjusted since childhood takes its toll on a person. Add to that betrayals (real or perceived), profound losses and countless disappointments and you’ll probably end up pretty f***ed up and far from who you were when you were in your 20s.

I don’t really like who he’s become (or seem to have become) nor do I like what it’s done to his art, but I can understand why the situation is what it is.

Being depressed and feeling maladjusted since childhood takes its toll on a person. Add to that betrayals (real or perceived), profound losses and countless disappointments and you’ll probably end up pretty f***ed up and far from who you were when you were in your 20s.

I don’t really like who he’s become (or seem to have become) nor do I like what it’s done to his art, but I can understand why the situation is what it is.

Sure, but don’t you think that anyone who has felt only depression and feelings of maladjustment would have killed themselves by now?

So what’s keeping him here?

Gregor, I think you’re forgetting that even Morrissey experiences joy and the rewards of his many achievements. Don’t you think that this would also shape the person he is today?

Sure, but don’t you think that anyone who has felt only depression and feelings of maladjustment would have killed themselves by now?

So what’s keeping him here?

Gregor, I think you’re forgetting that even Morrissey experiences joy and the rewards of his many achievements. Don’t you think that this would also shape the person he is today?
I’m not so sure. But of course he has experienced lots of joy etc. But I think the darkness has been the dominating force and that is why he now seems colder, more cynical, more crass and whatnot. It takes its toll.

I’m not so sure. But of course he has experienced lots of joy etc. But I think the darkness has been the dominating force and that is why he now seems colder, more cynical, more crass and whatnot. It takes its toll.

Then happiness and success takes its toll also.

Fortunately/unfortunately, even on his best days it’s always seemed part of his nature to focus on what can be perceived as the negative.

He may only be showing that part of himself publicly more these days, while keeping the rest private? For as I perceive it, as he’s gotten older, he’s become a little more withdrawn, it could be his way of dealing with the way the world has changed and is changing.

He, like everyone, is far from perfect. But I wouldn’t come to any final conclusions based on what he allows the public to see, and think they/we see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom