Fretsore Records / YouTube: Dana Gillespie - Spent The Day In Bed (Official video)

the legendary dana gillespie, iv never heard of her.
its a one time listen for me,it has its merits in certain parts but would i reach for the play button again,nah.

the legendary dana gillespie, iv never heard of her. its a one time listen for me,it has its merits in certain parts but would i reach for the play button again,nah.

You mean you haven’t seen this film?! …

Lol.

Anyway. If you’re a big fan of Bowie, then you probably would be more familiar with her. I guess she may be considered ‘legendary’ by some, simply for that connection.

You mean you haven’t seen this film?! …

Lol.

Anyway. If you’re a big fan of Bowie, then you probably would be more familiar with her. I guess she may be considered ‘legendary’ by some, simply for that connection.

yip it was a poor follow up from the land that time forgot starring one of my favourite blondes from the 70s/80s susan penhaligon,had a good cast, patrick wayne ,son of john who also played sinbad in the eye of the tiger in the same year,thorley walters who has appeared in so many things over the years.

Love the lyric, 'the news contrives to frighten you'. It's beautifully expressed and so true.
It's not a favourite Morrissey song of mine but I was pleased to hear it do so well at the time.
It's also nice to hear a relatively modern Morrissey song being covered, and not just another version of Every Day Is Like Sunday.
"Contrives to frighten you" sounds wrong. It should be "the news conspires to frighten you.

Oh you mean the Rod Stewart urban legend! I remember that. Ranks with the Richard Gere...story.
I don't like the sentiment. It's a bouncy song and only the David Ikeness of the lyric puts me off. But the phrasing and the lyric is solid. The news contrives to frighten you is a great line.

Anyway I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. Despite the obvious that's not a bed issue.

I don't enjoy watching clips of everyday people going about their ordinary working lives. I suppose it's meant as some king of social commentary but if this is your reality you don't find it as entertaining as showbiz people might think. Can't beat this video (or vocal):

Can anyone clever do a mashup of Morrissey’s vocal with the instrumentation of Dana’s version?

(y)

That would be so cool.

Both versions are great, and one of Morrissey’s best, but I’m really digging what Dana’s team have done musically with STDIB. So yeah, that would be really interesting to hear.

(y)

That would be so cool.

Both versions are great, and one of Morrissey’s best, but I’m really digging what Dana’s team have done musically with STDIB. So yeah, that would be really interesting to hear.
It’s a great song: pure pop (as opposed to rock) with an acerbic edge—the kind of track I’d usually associate with The Pet Shop Boys. It was his best single since Irish Blood, for my money.

I'm sorry, but she seems sexually aroused.... He has a libidinous voice. No, I don't like it! Maybe if the lyrics were erotic regarding the use of the bed

Haven't listened to it yet, but will definitely listen now! Ta.

Hmm, I don't like the video either, it emphasises the weak "news part" of the song far too much. And I don't know why everyone nowadays thinks, that a little bit of stock footage thrown together makes a good video, it just always looks cheap. And not a fan of the Dana-footage either, it just looks weird somehow.

Hmm, I don't like the video either, it emphasises the weak "news part" of the song far too much. And I don't know why everyone nowadays thinks, that a little bit of stock footage thrown together makes a good video, it just always looks cheap. And not a fan of the Dana-footage either, it just looks weird somehow.
Agree, the focus on the "news" part just makes the song much more cringe than it needs to be. (But, as per her radio interview, that's the part of the lyrics that resonated with her, so she's done it very deliberately.

Yes her video is a little too much on the nose.

Which is why Morrissey’s video is so much better, little to do with the song, like the Suedehead video, etc.

But I really like what she and her team did with song, not drastic, but refreshing. One of Morrissey’s best.

I wonder if when he is pouring his third or fourth glass of Grey Goose, he ponders the irony that a cover version of one of his minor singles can get a label release and yet his latest original songs are trapped in a no man's land.

I wonder if when he is pouring his third or fourth glass of Grey Goose, he ponders the irony that a cover version of one of his minor singles can get a label release and yet his latest original songs are trapped in no man's land.

1712952347876.jpeg

the legendary dana gillespie, iv never heard of her.
There's a lovely profile of Dana here, while promoting the single, affirming her legendary status, with details like these:

She has a revered status in the industry, not least considering the context of her early career given that no female soloist hit No.1 with a studio album in the UK until 1980. Returning to music in 1982, she released Blue Job, reaching a new career milestone by venturing into blues and founding the Mustique Blues Festival. A respected radio presenter, Gillespie, also embraces spirituality, recording bhajans since becoming a follower of Sri Sathya Sai Baba, adding devotional music to her extensive discography.

https://ramzine.co.uk/news/dana-gillespie/

Back
Top Bottom