'Hang The Dj: The Very Best Of' - tracklist

I'd replace Shakespeare's Sister with Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, which was included in the other Very Best.

I'll find it on eMule or the torrent sites :D

They have obviously done their homework (probably even looked at this site to see what sort of thing they would have to include to make hardcore Smiths fans buy it). Disc one alone, I don't thing many existing fans would have bought it but I probably will now.

Sept. 15th: "Hang The DJ: The Very Best Of The Smiths". Tracklist!

Hi! On my daily news summary, sent by my company's HQ, this is the news:

On September 15th is the day for the release of "Hang the DJ: The very best of The Smiths". It will be published in 2 formats, one simple with 23 songs in 1 CD; and a double edition with 2 CDs and 23 rarities and live recordings. The tracklists are the following:

CD 1
▪ Hand In Glove
▪ This Charming Man
▪ What Difference Does It Make?
▪ Still Ill
▪ Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
▪ William, It Was Really Nothing
▪ How Soon Is Now
▪ I Want the One I Can't Have
▪ Shakespeare's Sister
▪ Barbarism Begins At Home
▪ That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
▪ The Headmaster Ritual
▪ The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
▪ Bigmouth Strikes Again
▪ There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
▪ Panic
▪ Ask
▪ You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby
▪ Shoplifters Of The World Unite
▪ Sheila Take A Bow
▪ Girlfriend In A Coma
▪ I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
▪ Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

CD 2
▪ Jeane
▪ Handsome Devil (Live at Manchester Hacienda)
▪ This Charming Man (New York Vocal)
▪ Wonderful Woman
▪ Back To The Old House
▪ These Things Take Time
▪ Girl Afraid
▪ Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
▪ Stretch Out And Wait
▪ Oscillate Wildly (Instrumental)
▪ Meat Is Murder (Live at Oxford Apollo 18/3/85)
▪ Asleep
▪ Money Changes Everything
▪ The Queen Is Dead
▪ Vicar In A Tutu
▪ Cemetery Gates
▪ Half A Person
▪ Sweet And Tender Hooligan
▪ I Keep Mine Hidden
▪ Pretty Girls Make Graves
▪ Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
▪ What's The World? (Recorded Live in 1985)
▪ London (Live at National Ballroom, Kilburn)

I know Morrissey said or someone on Moz Camp said this CDs don't have his approval or authorization (as well as the Hollywood Bowl DVD), but anyway I'm sure this is at least interesting for all of us. Enjoy!

There is a full page press advertisement on the back side of the new issue of 'Mojo', out today. Apologies for not having access to a scanner, so until someone *cough*uncleskinny*cough* does I'll just provide a quick visual description.
The image is a band shot, around 1984 I'd say, possibly backstage at TOTP for 'What Difference Does it Make?' judging by the clothing and Johnnys' guitar. left to right Rourke, Moz (speccy), J****, Marr. J**** is dead center of the image looking straight into the camera with a fairly murderous glower, which may or may not be telling. The image has a green wash, a~la 'The Queen Is Dead'. 'The Very Best of the Smiths' is in hot pink, "Hang the DJ" is in peach. Single CD ( "all their greatest hits"!) is described as Remastered, and the Deluxe 2 CD version of live versions and rarities mentions 'Jeane', 'Stretch Out and Wait', and 'What's The World?' live, amongst others. No mention of a release date.
No clue as to whether or not this will be the cover image. If so, very poor.
Also listed as being released via Rhino Records UK. Jobriath and The Smiths, together at last!

I'm at loss for words. This compilation is unnecessary.

If the remastering(which Im assuming they did to this) is good, then yes, I will have no problem buying this.

On September 15th is the day for the release of "Hang the DJ: The very best of The Smiths".

Is this the US release date, or the Uk? anyone have the US release date?

Last edited:
If the remastering(which Im assuming they did to this) is good, then yes, I will have no problem buying this.

If I put a 'remastered' CD on my not very expensive CD player and then the original CD on, be honest, is there really any difference in the quality of product?:confused:
I hung on to my vinyl for years as I was not conned into believing there was any difference between vinyl and CD. Maybe if you have a £300 stereo maybe.
Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Jukebox Jury

If I put a 'remastered' CD on my not very expensive CD player and then the original CD on, be honest, is there really any difference in the quality of product?:confused:

Usually, the remastered version is just louder. Far too often, it's too loud and the high frequencies are being clipped. I'd never buy a CD just because it had been remastered, the old CDs are usually better. That's why they put bonus tracks on those remastered CDs.

The only remastered CD that I really found to be better than the original release is The Cure's "Kiss Me" album.

I hung on to my vinyl for years as I was not conned into believing there was any difference between vinyl and CD.

The sound of a CD is much cleaner, there are no crackles and no distortions. And it's always the right speed.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Countless times! Oh, wait ... you were talking about remasters. But yes, I felt cheated by remasters as well.

Even with a "cheap" player, you'll still hear the difference. Whether or not you like the difference is another story.

The word "digitally remastered" has been used by record companies for years now, with the intention of swaying the customer to purchase the re-release because it is somehow "better" than the original copy. In most cases, the exact opposite is true.

Oso is 100% correct. The remastered copy will indeed be much louder than the original copy. I usually find that the bass is too boomy for my liking. The high frequencies can be quite fatiguing as well, especially if you like to listen to your music at loud volumes.

Frankly, the only reissued music I would buy would be releases on the SACD and DVD-Audio formats. These formats should have replaced the standard CD, but with little advertising and the ever-growing popularity of digital media players, the high-fidelity formats never caught on.

Amazon have some information about which versions are used for some of the tracks. "Hand in Glove" seems to be the original single version, "What Difference Does It Make" is the Peel session, and "Barbarism Begins at Home" is the edited single version, as is "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me".

Morrissey and Marr to release Smiths hits and rarities compilation

I have also submitted this to the homepage!

From NME.COM

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/40013

Former Smiths singer and guitarist Morrissey and Johnny Marr are set to release a compilation of their old band's rarities in November.

Morrissey came up with the title of the compilation – 'The Sound Of The Smiths' – while Marr supervised the mastering of the album.

The album will be available as either a one-disc or two-disc version. The one-disc version contains 23 of the band's singles or would-be singles – including songs such as 'Still Ill' and 'You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby', which were originally intended to be singles but didn't end up getting released as such.

The second disc will contain 22 songs, including rare B-sides and live recordings. Included on the disc are the Troy Tate-produced 'Pretty Girls Make Graves', a cover of James' 'What's The World', and a live version of 'Meat Is Murder', the title track of The Smiths' 1985 UK Number One album.

Both discs will be available to download as well as being released on physical formats.

The full tracklisting of 'The Sound Of The Smiths' will be:

Disc One:

'Hand In Glove'
'This Charming Man'
'What Difference Does It Make? (John Peel Session)'
'Still Ill'
'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'
'William, It Was Really Nothing'
'How Soon Is Now? (12-inch vinyl version)'
'Nowhere Fast'
'Shakespeare's Sister'
'Barbarism Begins At Home (seven-inch vinyl version)'
'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore'
'The Headmaster Ritual'
'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side'
'Bigmouth Strikes Again'
'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'
'Panic'
'Ask'
'You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby'
'Shoplifters of the World Unite'
'Sheila Take a Bow'
'Girlfriend in a Coma'
'I Started Something I Couldn't Finish'
'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me'

Disc Two:

'Jeane'
'Handsome Devil (Live)'
'This Charming Man (New York Vocal)'
'Wonderful Woman'
'Back To The Old House'
'These Things Take Time'
'Girl Afraid'
'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want'
'Stretch Out And Wait'
'Oscillate Wildly'
'Meat Is Murder (Live)'
'Asleep'
'Money Changes Everything'
'The Queen Is Dead'
'Vicar In A Tutu'
'Cemetry Gates'
'Half A Person'
'Sweet And Tender Hooligan'
'Pretty Girls Make Graves (Troy Tate Demo)'
'Stop me If You Think You've Heard This One Before'
'What's The World? (Live)'
'London (Live)'

NME did it again

Again NME wrongly stated that Morrissey approved and involved the selection of the tracks.

NME didn't bother to check Morrissey's statement published on true-to-you.net.

Re: NME did it again

Again NME wrongly stated that Morrissey approved and involved the selection of the tracks.

NME didn't bother to check Morrissey's statement published on true-to-you.net.

The article doesn't say Morrissey chose the tracks - just that he chose the title.

A lot could have changed since his statement at the start of August - the title of the compilation has certainly changed since then.

The best news of all (if all this is true) is that Johnny supervised the remastering of the album. Perhaps it was Marr's involvement which persuaded Morrissey to get involved with it on some level?

Back
Top Bottom