Morrissey Central "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DARLING" (November 7, 2023)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DARLING

You_Are_The_Quarry.jpg

You Are The Quarry will be 20 years old in 2024.

The album sold over 1 million copies.
Sweden #1
England #1*
Ireland #3
Norway #5
Finland #8
Portugal #10
USA #11

As usual, the album was not well received by the UK press, where it was certified as Platinum.
You Are The Quarry was the only album of 2004 that managed four top ten hit singles.
Irish Blood, English Heart #3
First Of The Gang To Die #6
Let me Kiss You #8
I Have Forgiven Jesus #10

There is no commemorative issue planned for You Are the Quarry, which was licensed to BMG UK in 2017 for new release.
BMG did not re-issue You Are the Quarry and have no plans to.

* = edited by Central to #2 after initial posting.
FWD.

I call bull. Morrissey was the golden boy making a comeback at the time- it might have got one or two lukewarm reviews, but from my memory most of the press reports were glowing. In fact, in the cold light of day, I think this is a vastly overrated and overpraised album. But it was undeniably a huge hit in the UK and did very well.
The guardian gave it two stars

I'm just thinking out loud here but perhaps dear old moz could give us some inkling about what he would like to see/approve of in a re-release. Demos? Remasters? Songs of which he is proud?songs he'd cut.? The folks still interested would love to know how feels lo these many years on.

His last good album...
His last great album (I’m not keep on the intro track… it’s listenable and I appreciate the premise of the lyrics, but overall… zzz). Ringleader was good, but after that it was obvious the ship was taking on water. Still a good track here and there over time, but he’s not reached the level of Quarry as a full length since, imo.

His last great album (I’m not keep on the intro track… it’s listenable and I appreciate the premise of the lyrics, but overall… zzz). Ringleader was good, but after that it was obvious the ship was taking on water. Still a good track here and there over time, but he’s not reached the level of Quarry as a full length since, imo.
Quarry was dull, Dog was far better ;)

This stuff is fundamentally why Morrissey always sounds frustrated and basically incapable of happiness - nothing is ever, ever enough for him. He can have an album which sells over a million and is a phenomenal success, spawns hit singles and massive concerts, rave reviews etc and he's still not happy, immediately pours a ton of shit on the label and the whole cycle starts again.

All that has changed in 20 years is that he has burned through another stack of labels and is selling less, that's it. He has no sense of appreciation for his previous fortune and the long run he's had, no level of reflection or contentment, no thanks for the fans, just this endless endless grudge against the world. It is almost unfathomable that a millionaire who is nearly 65 still hinges his happiness on reviews and chart positions.

This stuff is fundamentally why Morrissey always sounds frustrated and basically incapable of happiness - nothing is ever, ever enough for him. He can have an album which sells over a million and is a phenomenal success, spawns hit singles and massive concerts, rave reviews etc and he's still not happy, immediately pours a ton of shit on the label and the whole cycle starts again.

All that has changed in 20 years is that he has burned through another stack of labels and is selling less, that's it. He has no sense of appreciation for his previous fortune and the long run he's had, no level of reflection or contentment, no thanks for the fans, just this endless endless grudge against the world. It is almost unfathomable that a millionaire who is nearly 65 still hinges his happiness on reviews and chart positions.
As much as i hate to say it Amy, you are spot on. Morrissey has enriched my life in many ways and i'm so glad he's still here, but, i dunno, i just wish he could be happy. All his current problems and gripes with the world are sadly of his own making. It was funny and slightly charming years ago but i see him struggling with everything now. And it makes me sad.
Enjoy your success Morrissey, dont dwell on shit.

IMG_3228.jpeg
As a teenager in the 90s I started collecting Morrissey CDs. And with the mp3 boom in the mid 2000s I stupidly got rid of my cd collection. Since then I’ve managed to recover almost all of them including multiple singles. You Are The Quarry seems to always be out of stock at the record stores (I try not to order online). I will find you YATQ

View attachment 97476As a teenager in the 90s I started collecting Morrissey CDs. And with the mp3 boom in the mid 2000s I stupidly got rid of my cd collection. Since then I’ve managed to recover almost all of them including multiple singles. You Are The Quarry seems to always be out of stock at the record stores (I try not to order online). I will find you YATQ
If you want this CD, I'll send it to you on my dime. A friend left it at my place and I don't have anything to play it on. I just called him and told him what you wrote. He said to send it to you. If you want it, just private message me an address to send it to.
IMG_20231107_220023709.jpg

View attachment 97476As a teenager in the 90s I started collecting Morrissey CDs. And with the mp3 boom in the mid 2000s I stupidly got rid of my cd collection. Since then I’ve managed to recover almost all of them including multiple singles. You Are The Quarry seems to always be out of stock at the record stores (I try not to order online). I will find you YATQ
Is it that hard to find? I’ve got loads of them.

A fan sent me Mozipedia on his dime, so I won’t mind sending a CD on mine. It’ll cost much less because it’s light. Mozipedia is hefty.

Is it that hard to find? I’ve got loads of them.
I find tons of vinyl. CDs are a little harder to come by at the record store. I’m doing a record store run with my kids this weekend Dr Strange Records, Rhino and then Kaos. Missed Boz and Alain cause of my wife’s chemo

As usual, the album was not well received by the UK press, where it was certified as Platinum.
As others have mentioned, this is a weird unnecessarily bitter comment. This is around the time I became a Morrissey fan, which I did partly because of the hype around Quarry. At that time, Morrissey was being courted by the mainstream as the elder statesman of indie rock and, the usual mudslingers (like some of the journalists at The Guardian) aside, Morrissey could do no wrong in the eyes of the press.

I find tons of vinyl. CDs are a little harder to come by at the record store. I’m doing a record store run with my kids this weekend Dr Strange Records, Rhino and then Kaos. Missed Boz and Alain cause of my wife’s chemo
You found tons of Quarry on vinyl?

Back
Top Bottom