How much did you guys listen to Moz this year?

Spooked

Screenshot_20231129-100232_Spotify.jpg

If only there was a way to know how much I listened to him on vinyl. Or how often I had a Smiths concert playing on TV while making dinner.

But what were your favorite albums this year? Your favorite songs? For me I had Bona Drag on a lot, especially Lifeguard on Duty. My second favorite album this year is definitely Dog on a Chain though - I've been listening to Darling, I Hug a Pillow a bunch, too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129-100232_Spotify.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129-100232_Spotify.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 0
He didn’t make my Wrapped, but according to last fm, I’ve listened to him 161 times since the start of the year. YHKM was my number one song, and YoR my number one Moz album. But no, this hasn’t been a Morrissey year for me. Not even close.

He didn’t make my Wrapped, but according to last fm, I’ve listened to him 161 times since the start of the year. YHKM was my number one song, and YoR my number one Moz album. But no, this hasn’t been a Morrissey year for me. Not even close.
I listened to You Have Killed Me a lot, too! As well as Dear God Please Help Me. And yeah, last year he didn't make my Wrapped, either - which was surprising. I think going to see him this year in Nashville got me listening to him nonstop again though.

I listened to You Have Killed Me a lot, too! As well as Dear God Please Help Me. And yeah, last year he didn't make my Wrapped, either - which was surprising. I think going to see him this year in Nashville got me listening to him nonstop again though.
That’s great. I remember those periods with nothing but fondness.

I can't believe R.E.M. didn't make my top artists. I have to have listened to Monster a hundred times. But maybe it was all on CD? Pet Shop Boys too! I feel like Spotify never puts them in my top mixes
Apple Music is far superior.

Morrissey was number five on my list. And like the person who can't believe R.E.M. wasn't in his top 5, I can't believe Oasis wasn't in mine. I feel like I listen to my Oasis playlist more than anything else. I think I went on massive Hamish Hawk and Fontaines D.C. binges early in the year that must've skewed my results. They were recent discoveries. The "place that listened just like me" was Edinburgh, Scotland ("Edinburgh, UK" according to Spotify). My top 5 genres were Rock, New Wave, Singer-Songwriter, Noise Pop, and Soft Rock.

I've seen this on YouTube but wasn't sure what it was! Where did this fit in between the Troy Tate session and the one with John Porter?
I believe it's before the Troy Tate recordings (May 1983).

My top five genres were rock, country, dronescape (which I assume is a Spotify word for Dark Ambient), gothic Americana and Melancholy. Didn’t know melancholy was a genre of music.

I believe it's before the Troy Tate recordings (May 1983).

Oh awesome. I'll have to give it a listen then. I didn't really enjoy the Troy Tate recordings much, yet I do love a lot of their early stuff like the Hacienda show in January 83. So maybe I'll like these a bit better

Morrissey was number five on my list. And like the person who can't believe R.E.M. wasn't in his top 5, I can't believe Oasis wasn't in mine. I feel like I listen to my Oasis playlist more than anything else. I think I went on massive Hamish Hawk and Fontaines D.C. binges early in the year that must've skewed my results. They were recent discoveries. The "place that listened just like me" was Edinburgh, Scotland ("Edinburgh, UK" according to Spotify). My top 5 genres were Rock, New Wave, Singer-Songwriter, Noise Pop, and Soft Rock.
The guy I was talking with a lot at the Nashville show said he'd really gotten into the Fontaines a lot this year! I hadn't really given them much of a chance yet, but now I definitely feel like I should do a real deep dive into them.

The place I was listed at was York even though my top artists were Morrissey, The Smiths, Pete Shelley and the Buzzcocks 🥲 like, Spotify what does that even mean

My top five genres were rock, country, dronescape (which I assume is a Spotify word for Dark Ambient), gothic Americana and Melancholy. Didn’t know melancholy was a genre of music.
Gothic Americana is a wild thing to slap together lmao. What bands fall under that?? Mine were New Wave, Rock, Britpop, Gothic Rock and UK Post Punk, none of which I feel fit Moz at all lol

Gothic Americana is a wild thing to slap together lmao. What bands fall under that?? Mine were New Wave, Rock, Britpop, Gothic Rock and UK Post Punk, none of which I feel fit Moz at all lol
I guess stuff like Wovenhand and 16 Horsepower.

The place I was listed at was York even though my top artists were Morrissey, The Smiths, Pete Shelley and the Buzzcocks 🥲 like, Spotify what does that even mean

It can only mean that Mancunians aren't listening to classic Manchester artists on Spotify as often or per capita as Yorkies are. Jesus was right: "a prophet has no honor in his hometown."

Very cool question! Morrissey and Smiths were about 30% of what I listened to this year. That's pretty much the standard for me.

Regarding Morrissey specifically, a big share was his 2023 performances on Youtube, which have been great overall. I've logged a ton of hours with those. Was pretty lucky with shows on Youtube in '23 in general this year, for several artists. They were super psyched to play after the pandemic screwed the music business up for so long!

YouTube Music doesn't offer this information on-demand. I will get a recap next month but it was a lot of Morrissey/Smiths, Suede, James, The Sheila Divine and then whatever YTM decided to play once those albums/playlists ran out.

edit: and lots of Placebo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom