If Johnny had not knocked?

Morrissey would disagree...
However, I agree with you a bit, I think he would have tried to take a stab at it eventually, but with out Johnny's ability it might have been something you wouldn't have wanted to listen to.

Kumo

I totally agree. I think that it's possible, though his lyrics are strong on their own, that the music accompanying the vocals may not have been as catchy and go so great; Such as The Smiths did.

Johnny would have knocked eventually or someone else would have. Moz must have been known for Johnny to have been given the nod.

I don't thibk anyone else would have, Jonny truely did rescue him. Jonny must have heard that this Steven Morrissey fellow was a very awkward recluse, hence the reason why he brought a friend to go round Morrissey's with for support. It was a big gamble to take that could have easily gone wrong, a gamble not many would be willing to take.

Jonny saved Steven, something the latter will always love the former for.

I personally think that if Johnny hadn’t have knocked at that point in Morrissey’s life he may never have gone on to fulfil his ambitions. At that time he said he was extremely low and after the few tries he’d had at music/ journalism nothing had worked out so he had given up on trying, or on the idea of any of it working out. Whether in another year or so he would’ve got another chance/ burst of optimism to get out there, who knows, but at that point in his life I do see Johnny as the one who made it happen. Once given that confidence of course, Moz could flourish and deserves to be credited hugely as the joint major driving force of the band, but he needed that extended hand and unconditional belief from a partner.

Back
Top Bottom