Independent: "Murderous lyrics, bare torsos, and disappointment: the story behind The Smiths brilliant debut" (February 17, 2024)

GettyImages-1404377900.jpg

Forty years ago, The Smiths released their now-iconic self-titled debut album. Mark Beaumont speaks to drummer Mike Joyce about the trouble bubbling behind the scenes, the controversies it stirred, and how it came to inspire and define an indie rock explosion.

Regards,
FWD.

good article by the independant.

The narration seems strange, and weaves between boundaries of absences. Most surprising of all is the lack of a mention of Andy's recent passing.

When you look at that photo, it's quite alarming to think that Marr was even skinnier than Morrissey.

Good article and interview. Shed some additional light on the Troy Tate situation.

judging by that photo they look similar in weight actually.

Nah, if you'd seen the Smiths live, you'd know even though Morrissey was rail thin he was tall and broad-shouldered. Marr looked tiny and sylph-like, sometimes his guitar looked bigger than him.

Nah, if you'd seen the Smiths live, you'd know even though Morrissey was rail thin he was tall and broad-shouldered. Marr looked tiny and sylph-like, sometimes his guitar looked bigger than him.

Yeah, I was judging by what he might weigh by that photo. Does Marr look thinner than Morrissey in that photo to you?

Though I agree, his build is different. And it’s possible that he did weigh less than Morrissey. I’m not debating that.

Didn't Marr say somewhere that there were times in the Smiths, where he just weighed over 40 kgs, like 46 or something, caused by stress and his hyperactivity? The pictures of the article are not that bad, but I've seen pictures, where he looks very very malnourished thin. With Morrissey I only have it at the beginning of the Smiths, and I think because he is tall, it somehow doesn't look that bad. But I'm always shocked when I look at certain pictures and realise how very frail they both were.

Didn't Marr say somewhere that there were times in the Smiths, where he just weighed over 40 kgs, like 46 or something, caused by stress and his hyperactivity? The pictures of the article are not that bad, but I've seen pictures, where he looks very very malnourished thin. With Morrissey I only have it at the beginning of the Smiths, and I think because he is tall, it somehow doesn't look that bad. But I'm always shocked when I look at certain pictures and realise how very frail they both were.

I assume he did weigh less than Morrissey.
As you mentioned his hyperactivity and the stress, would do that, not to mention a diet of coke, during Strangeways.

But again, it’s difficult to tell if Johnny weighs less than M by this photo, which is what I was debating …

1708273717009.jpeg

I assume he did weigh less than Morrissey.
As you mentioned his hyperactivity and the stress, would do that, not to mention a diet of coke, during Strangeways.

But again, it’s difficult to tell if Johnny weighs less than M by this photo, which is what I was debating …

View attachment 101722
Judging by this photo I wouldn't say so, they look equally frail/thin/malnourished. But in the overall picture I think there were definitely times where Marr was on the concerning end of the spectrum, more than Morrissey, who, with growing fame seemed to flourish into a healthier weight.

Judging by this photo I wouldn't say so, they look equally frail/thin/malnourished. But in the overall picture I think there were definitely times where Marr was on the concerning end of the spectrum, more than Morrissey, who, with growing fame seemed to flourish into a healthier weight.

Agree, and yes, judging by that photo they look to be similar weight possibly. It’s difficult to tell with Marr in shadow and that sweater.
I don’t think M looks malnourished though.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom