Is Born to Harangue as serious as they say?

Will Born to Harangue score higher in a 1990s or a 1970s albums clips quiz?
(I had to cut out a lot of the music before YouTube would unblock these videos: 9 songs from the 1970s quiz and 4 songs from the 1990s.) After pressing play, click the square at the bottom right of the YouTube video to make it go full screen so you can see what’s being typed and find out if you’re able to beat my scores! Are you good enough to defeat the mighty Born to Harangue?! Let’s see what you’re made of!

Last edited:
End of year awards

Born to Harangue’s Pop Song of the Year: Sabrina Carpenter - Feather (fun fact: she’s the niece of Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart Simpson)

Runner-up: Caroline Polachek - Dang

Frank Sinatra AI cover of the year: Frank doing Dua Lipa’s ‘Levitating’

Comeback of the year: Peter Gabriel
Artist of the year: AI Frank Sinatra
Thread of the year: Is Born to Harangue as serious as they say?
Psychopathic scumbag ‘nation’ of the year: Israhell (n)

I’m a day early but happy new year everyone, even the haters!
New Year Celebration GIF

End of year awards

Born to Harangue’s Pop Song of the Year: Sabrina Carpenter - Feather (fun fact: she’s the niece of Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart Simpson)

Runner-up: Caroline Polachek - Dang

Frank Sinatra AI cover of the year: Frank doing Dua Lipa’s ‘Levitating’

Comeback of the year: Peter Gabriel
Artist of the year: AI Frank Sinatra
Thread of the year: Is Born to Harangue as serious as they say?
Psychopathic scumbag ‘nation’ of the year: Israhell (n)

I’m a day early but happy new year everyone, even the haters!
New Year Celebration GIF

Happy New Year Harangue

Born to Harangue’s end of year wrasslin’ awards, because I’m cool like that :blushing:

Best TV match of the year (no pay-per-views):

Gunther vs. Chad Gable (WWE Monday Night Raw, September 4th)

Runners-up (off the top of my head): Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler vs. Jay White and Juice Robinson (AEW Collision, July 15th), Bryan Danielson vs. Rush (AEW Dynamite, February 8th).

Underrated TV match of the year: Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal vs. The Acclaimed (AEW Dynamite, January 4th)
Talker of the year: Christian Cage
Best historical match watched by Born to Harangue in 2023: Lou Thesz vs Buddy Rogers (June 21st, 1950)

I better not see any laughing emoji reactions to this post!!

I listened to 120 singles that were released in January 2024 and I wanted to do a top 25 but I’m indecisive so I’m going to do a top 33 instead. I’m not sure that I’m happy with all the placements but I’m posting it anyway!

33. Grandaddy - Long As I’m Not the One
32. Vegyn - The Path Less Travelled
31. The Black Crowes - Wanting and Waiting
30. DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Anything Lost (Can Be Found Again)
29. I Don’t Know How But They Found Me - Infatuation
28. Sega Bodega - Deer Teeth
27. Pet Shop Boys - Loneliness
26. Joy Orbison - flight fm
25. Diamond Cafe - When You Can’t Resist
24. Squid - Fugue (Bin Song)
23. Marika Hackman - The Yellow Mile
22. Mette & Sam Gellaitry - Darling Drive
21. Lola Young - Wish You Were Dead
20. Sir Chloe - Seventeen
19. Bullion feat. Carly Rae Jepsen - Rare
18. Nia Archives - Crowded Roomz
17. Liam Gallagher & John Squire - Just Another Rainbow
16. Bleachers - Tiny Moves
15. Waxahatchee feat. MJ Lenderman - Right Back to It
14. Jamie xx - It’s So Good
13. Bring Me the Horizon - Kool-Aid
12. Chelsea Wolfe - Everything Turns Blue
11. Kim Gordon - Bye Bye
10. Squarepusher - Wendorlan
9. Ariana Grande - yes, and? (I have to squeeze my girl, the black widow, the woman with the darkest heart in pop music, the ultimate siren, into the top 10)
8. Buck Meek - Cuero Dudes
7. The Smile - Friend of a Friend
6. Adrianne Lenker - Sadness As a Gift
5. Justice feat. Tame Impala - One Night/All Night
4. Sunny Day Real Estate - Novum Vetus
3. Future Islands - Say Goodbye
2. Julia Holter - Spinning
1. The Lemon Twigs - My Golden Years

I listened to 120 singles that were released in January 2024 and I wanted to do a top 25 but I’m indecisive so I’m going to do a top 33 instead. I’m not sure that I’m happy with all the placements but I’m posting it anyway!

33. Grandaddy - Long As I’m Not the One
32. Vegyn - The Path Less Travelled
31. The Black Crowes - Wanting and Waiting
30. DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Anything Lost (Can Be Found Again)
29. I Don’t Know How But They Found Me - Infatuation
28. Sega Bodega - Deer Teeth
27. Pet Shop Boys - Loneliness
26. Joy Orbison - flight fm
25. Diamond Cafe - When You Can’t Resist
24. Squid - Fugue (Bin Song)
23. Marika Hackman - The Yellow Mile
22. Mette & Sam Gellaitry - Darling Drive
21. Lola Young - Wish You Were Dead
20. Sir Chloe - Seventeen
19. Bullion feat. Carly Rae Jepsen - Rare
18. Nia Archives - Crowded Roomz
17. Liam Gallagher & John Squire - Just Another Rainbow
16. Bleachers - Tiny Moves
15. Waxahatchee feat. MJ Lenderman - Right Back to It
14. Jamie xx - It’s So Good
13. Bring Me the Horizon - Kool-Aid
12. Chelsea Wolfe - Everything Turns Blue
11. Kim Gordon - Bye Bye
10. Squarepusher - Wendorlan
9. Ariana Grande - yes, and? (I have to squeeze my girl, the black widow, the woman with the darkest heart in pop music, the ultimate siren, into the top 10)
8. Buck Meek - Cuero Dudes
7. The Smile - Friend of a Friend
6. Adrianne Lenker - Sadness As a Gift
5. Justice feat. Tame Impala - One Night/All Night
4. Sunny Day Real Estate - Novum Vetus
3. Future Islands - Say Goodbye
2. Julia Holter - Spinning
1. The Lemon Twigs - My Golden Years
You should get a job, honey bunny!

You should get a job, honey bunny!

You should have got a second job so you wouldn’t have had all that free time to sit here for seven years writing hundreds of posts about a book you haven’t written! Or you could have put that free time to good use and actually written the book, buuuuut… you didn’t!

You should have got a second job so you wouldn’t have had all that free time to sit here for seven years writing hundreds of posts about a book you haven’t written! Or you could have put that free time to good use and actually written the book, buuuuut… you didn’t!
Wouldn't you like to be gainfully employed, honey bunny?!

You say that I’m on ignore but you read every one of my posts.

You just can’t help yourself, you secretly admire me and wish you were half as clever, fulfilled and dashingly handsome as I am.

This is my new favourite band. They have EVERYTHING as far as I’m concerned. The songs, the melodies, the visuals, a wide range of influences, they don’t take themselves too seriously, the quirkiness doesn’t seem forced, they’re French but live in the USA so the songs have a Europop flair with American influence, they take the listener to unexpected places sonically, each song is filled with hooks, and so on! I say “and so on” because like I said, they have everything so there’s no point in sitting here and listing everything, because ‘everything’ means everything.

But I’ve started now so here’s another thing: one of the two brothers looks a lot like Klaus Kinski which I deem to be the icing on the cake. What they’re doing is joyous *and* musically interesting which is rarer than it should be, since modern music is often - not always, but often - either joyous and vacant or musically interesting and gloomy. It’s surprising to me that they’re not all over the radio and as big as Daft Punk were, but they haven’t released an album yet, just an EP and a few singles, so there’s still time!

A comment on one of their videos says “it’s like Yello and The Residents ended up in Eurotrash land”. They get plenty of negative comments as well, although that Yello/Eurotrash one could also be viewed as negative depending on your taste in music. A few of the comments are saying they get 80s vibes from the songs but I disagree — it sounds more like 2001 to me except better than 99% of what was being released in 2001.

I’m reluctant to compare their sound to older bands and eras because that’s all we seem to do with new music nowadays, but if I had to, then yes I would say they’re taking the music of the early 00s and improving upon it. Taking it to where it should have gone. In comparison with Lemon Twigs— I saw someone saying in a YouTube comment that Lemon Twigs is “not breaking any new ground in the best way possible”. And that’s fine too.

But with Faux Real, for the first time in a long time I’m hearing a band where I want to know everything about them, all their influences (even though I’m not finding much), and I’m genuinely intrigued/enthusiastic about what I’m hearing and invested in finding out what direction they go in next. I’ve listened to 252 singles from 2024 so far and this is the first band I’ve come across where it feels like in some way I’m hearing music being pushed forward.

I doubt most of you will get it though! You’ll listen to 30 seconds of one song, laugh, shake your head, switch it off, and never think of them again. I’m right aren’t I!? You’re going to make me regret showing you!!

Kindred Spirit’s the video I chose to watch. It was interesting.

Back
Top Bottom