Jemma Pixie Hixon covers "Asleep"

Jemma Pixie Hixon- Asleep- The Smiths-Cover

Performed as powerful and gentle as ever. Who would have believed it. A beautiful cover all and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was my "cooze" comment deleted?

Anyway, agoraphobia? Boo-hoo. Not even a real disease. Oh, she hates to go outside and enter the real world and be around people? Tough. Me too. Still gotta work and pay bills. Deal with it, honey.

I see a sheltered, pretentious little twat.

Morrissey wouldn't/couldn't work from leaving school at 16 to forming The Smiths. I'm sure some of his neighbours held similar views about him as you do about Jemma. Morrissey visited the USA at least twice as a teenager. In working class Britain of the 70s being able to pay those air fares might have have led to unfair jibes that jobless Morrissey was 'a sheltered, pretentious little twat.'. Have you heard of a Morrissey song called 'Something is Squeezing my Skull'? It's about mental distress needing medication. Could be autobiographical. Morrissey sought help for depression as a teenager but was refused medication if I recall. Perhaps his doctor told him it was "not even a real disease". Have a listen to it and see what you think. Coming out as mentally ill is the new gay: the level of ignorance and prejudice is similar. Not sure why you listen to Morrissey or visit this site, but maybe you just blank all his lyrics....intriguing...here's a helpful resource for you:

http://bbc.in/iKVaLE

'I know by now you think I should have
Straightened myself out - Thank you, drop dead!
Something is squeezing my skull
Something I can barely describe
There is no love in modern life'

What's to badmouth about this girl's version? It's beautiful. There's really no debate. Did she set out to do a side-by-side comparison to The Smiths' version? Of course not. She obviously "gets" what this song is all about. For you posters to ridicule this performance reveals more about your ignorance than this beautiful young woman's skills. It's lovely...

agophobia, like many forms of mental illness is something that many creative people suffer from to some degree, and is misunderstood by the masses. i can see why morrissey and others get a bit sick of the people on this site - people here making disparaging comments about this girl - and when it's done because of how she looks, how low cut her top is etc - they are falling into stereotypically sexist and judgmental views that you wouldn't expect from fans of a sensitive artist like morrissey. perhaps they are not fans at all? though to be honest - these views are probably representative of a sexist and bigoted population, judging women for how they dress etc. its still wrong though.

she is beautiful, the song is beautiful, she sings it beautifully. why look for ugliness? can we not just see the beauty in what is around us?

Morrissey wouldn't/couldn't work from leaving school at 16 to forming The Smiths. I'm sure some of his neighbours held similar views about him as you do about Jemma. Morrissey visited the USA at least twice as a teenager. In working class Britain of the 70s being able to pay those air fares might have have led to unfair jibes that jobless Morrissey was 'a sheltered, pretentious little twat.'. Have you heard of a Morrissey song called 'Something is Squeezing my Skull'? It's about mental distress needing medication. Could be autobiographical. Morrissey sought help for depression as a teenager but was refused medication if I recall. Perhaps his doctor told him it was "not even a real disease". Have a listen to it and see what you think. Coming out as mentally ill is the new gay: the level of ignorance and prejudice is similar. Not sure why you listen to Morrissey or visit this site, but maybe you just blank all his lyrics....intriguing...here's a helpful resource for you:

http://bbc.in/iKVaLE

'I know by now you think I should have
Straightened myself out - Thank you, drop dead!
Something is squeezing my skull
Something I can barely describe
There is no love in modern life'

Gosh, no, I've never heard of that song. Thanks for enlightening me.

You know what to do if you're depressed? Get over it. The world doesn't stop because you "don't feel good."

agophobia? another excuse to keep me indoors, in front of the telly for a month or two :D
If this essex tanned girl did it...then so can I!

Well, this song isn't meant to be sung "powerful and gentle" and all. Just listen to the lyrics and Morrissey's voice and you'll understand.

I was pleasantly surprised hearing this good oldie in the air waves again. It's a kind of a pale lullaby about suicide, resignation, hopelessness. It was never my top favorite though. Now I see it more being teen angst kind of a thing. But still it's touching in its straight forwardness and honesty. I didn't expect material like this coming from her. And she didn't really ruin it did she. I'd like to hear her cover more Smiths song also like 'Back to the old House' yes.

You know what to do if you're depressed? Get over it. The world doesn't stop because you "don't feel good."

'Is unhappiness epidemic these days?
"I think it was probably always there, but never addressed. People never used the term "depression" until the '70s. Before then it was always the least important illness, something for which one just took medication."
Do you suffer depression?
"Yes, I do. I am depressed most of the time. And when you're depressed it is so enveloping that it actually does control your life, you cannot overcome it, and you can't take advice. People trying to cheer you up become infuriating and almost insulting. It's all a part of that "pull-yourself-together" approach, isn't it? Depression is very, very powerful. You can't simply go to a nightclub and have a quick Miller draft light, or whatever you call it, and come out of it."
Have you sought any kind of help for it?
"Yes, I have in the distant past, but to absolutely no effect."
You're not a believer in Prozac or lithium?
"I've tried them. A lot of extreme things happen to you on them, which sometimes cannot seem to be worth it, because I don't want something that's going to effect me in any way other than to perhaps cure me. I don't want anything that's going to make me different. But having said all this, I function very well. I'm a reasonably well balanced person." (laughs) "I'm as strong as 90 percent of the people I know who would never, ever admit to depression. I think admitting it and talking about it is a strength."'

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/details3.htm

I'm really baffled as to why you listen to Morrissey's words and music. I'm not aware of him suddenly converting to Positive Thinking and endorsing 'The Secret'. Let's briefly look at the tracklist of his last album :

1. "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" : depression
2. "Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed" : suicide
3. "Black Cloud" : depression
6. "When Last I Spoke to Carol" depression. suicidal ideation.

I missed the album he made called 'Get Over It!' with tracks about about having a cold shower, pulling yourself together, 'sucking it up'. Must be a rare studio bootleg.

'Is unhappiness epidemic these days?
"I think it was probably always there, but never addressed. People never used the term "depression" until the '70s. Before then it was always the least important illness, something for which one just took medication."
Do you suffer depression?
"Yes, I do. I am depressed most of the time. And when you're depressed it is so enveloping that it actually does control your life, you cannot overcome it, and you can't take advice. People trying to cheer you up become infuriating and almost insulting. It's all a part of that "pull-yourself-together" approach, isn't it? Depression is very, very powerful. You can't simply go to a nightclub and have a quick Miller draft light, or whatever you call it, and come out of it."
Have you sought any kind of help for it?
"Yes, I have in the distant past, but to absolutely no effect."
You're not a believer in Prozac or lithium?
"I've tried them. A lot of extreme things happen to you on them, which sometimes cannot seem to be worth it, because I don't want something that's going to effect me in any way other than to perhaps cure me. I don't want anything that's going to make me different. But having said all this, I function very well. I'm a reasonably well balanced person." (laughs) "I'm as strong as 90 percent of the people I know who would never, ever admit to depression. I think admitting it and talking about it is a strength."'

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/details3.htm

I'm really baffled as to why you listen to Morrissey's words and music. I'm not aware of him suddenly converting to Positive Thinking and endorsing 'The Secret'. Let's briefly look at the tracklist of his last album :

1. "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" : depression
2. "Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed" : suicide
3. "Black Cloud" : depression
6. "When Last I Spoke to Carol" depression. suicidal ideation.

I missed the album he made called 'Get Over It!' with tracks about about having a cold shower, pulling yourself together, 'sucking it up'. Must be a rare studio bootleg.

There's no comparison between Morrissey and this little decaf version of Emily Dickinson. Whatever social/emotional problems Morrissey has or did have, he makes art out of, so, he is "dealing with it." He puts out albums, tours the world, and has built a pop culture legacy. That is conquering depression...he takes it, accepts it, and molds it into art and personal transcendence and financial success. It then reaches others and they feel better, understand themselves better, or at the very least just rock out and enjoy the music as great pop songs.

And while you're naming specifics to show how "depressed" Morrissey is, have you ever heard Accept Yourself? I Know It's Gonna Happen Some Day? Do Your Best And Don't Worry? Action Is My Middle Name? All songs encouraging and displaying great positivity. Don't just cite the songs that support your argument. Ever see one of his live shows? It's like a Tae Bo session. We're not talking about Leonard f***ing Cohen here. Depression and agoraphobia are not the words I associate Morrissey with. If you choose to focus on that element of his schtick because it helps you feel better about living with Mom, well, fine. But that's you, not reality.

When you made your first comment on this thread, I very much doubt you'd even listened to Jemma's version of the song. I suspect you took one look at her and and decided she was a 'cooze' which appears to be a derogatory insult. I have never heard this word, it seems to be American slang.

Kurt Cobain put out albums, toured the world, and built a pop culture legacy. He also 'rocked out' and had financial success, but that didn't solve his emotional challenges. Your assertion that a successful career in the music industry means Morrissey has 'conquered' depression is pure supposition. He hasn't said any such thing. I note you regard financial success as a valid benchmark to judge an artistic career: however most of Morrissey's favourite artists struggled financially.

Morrissey lived at home with his mother from 16 to 22. Nothing untoward about that, but clearly you have some 'issues' about masculinity in that you seem to regard 'living with Mom' as some kind of failure in life. Had Johnny Marr not called, it's possible Morrissey might still be 'living with Mom'.

I'm pleased you find energy and optimism in Morrissey's words and music. So do I: because he faces some difficult existential truths bravely, sometimes with great humour.

I hope you enjoy 'rocking out' by practising Tai-Bo at your next Morrissey show, but it's an alarming image. I'm concerned security may decide such bizarre behaviour makes you a danger to yourself and other concert attendees and summarily eject you from the building. Which would be unfortunate. Perhaps you might want to try just tapping your foot along to the beat?

I've no idea why you've brought Leonard Cohen and Emily Dickinson into the discussion. I doubt you have any knowledge of either artist.

regards

When you made your first comment on this thread, I very much doubt you'd even listened to Jemma's version of the song.

I listened to the first 35 seconds, but then I started to feel nauseous.

She does have awesome tits. I'll give her that much.

I suspect you took one look at her and and decided she was a 'cooze' which appears to be a derogatory insult.

It is.

I have never heard this word, it seems to be American slang.

Don't try to distract me...

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

Kurt Cobain put out albums, toured the world, and built a pop culture legacy. He also 'rocked out' and had financial success, but that didn't solve his emotional challenges. Your assertion that a successful career in the music industry means Morrissey has 'conquered' depression is pure supposition. He hasn't said any such thing. I note you regard financial success as a valid benchmark to judge an artistic career: however most of Morrissey's favourite artists struggled financially.

There are bank vaults with walls less thick than you. I didn't say I equated the validity of art with how much money the artist makes. I said that Morrissey had made a lucrative career out of writing and singing and about his various social and emotional problems. That's a fact. "I turned sickness into popular song." Remember that line? He wrote it. He sang it. "Your royalties bring you luxuries." Remember that one?

You want me to keep going?

Show me where I said Morrissey "conquered" depression. SHOW ME THAT f***ING STATEMENT, you goon. I said he dealt with it. Learn to read.

And don't even bring up Cobain. He was a drug addict who HATED the industry and hated the charts. While no one held a gun to his head (no pun intended) to sign with a major label and become a rich rock star, he clearly was at odds with it from Day 1. His drives and goals and general mindset about being famous were COMPLETELY different than Morrissey's.

Morrissey lived at home with his mother from 16 to 22. Nothing untoward about that, but clearly you have some 'issues' about masculinity in that you seem to regard 'living with Mom' as some kind of failure in life. Had Johnny Marr not called, it's possible Morrissey might still be 'living with Mom'.

I don't give a shit where Morrissey or anyone else lives, or with who. Lots of people live with their parents, even into adulthood. The reasons why are myriad, and I don't judge people on such circumstances. I simply despise oversensitive twats like yourself and like this fake-ass Pixie chick, and assume they all still live with Mommy, because most of them are too fragile to support themselves or face the real world, and I have no tolerance of that. But if someone lives with his/her parents while working toward bettering themselves, that's a different story. In this day and age, economically, that's very normal.

I hope you enjoy 'rocking out' by practising Tai-Bo at your next Morrissey show, but it's an alarming image. I'm concerned security may decide such bizarre behaviour makes you a danger to yourself and other concert attendees and summarily eject you from the building. Which would be unfortunate. Perhaps you might want to try just tapping your foot along to the beat?

Do you know what a simile is? How about a metaphor? Do you understand the concept of hyperbolic illustrative comparison? I was making a point that his concerts are very intense and sweaty and physically vigorous, for all involved...himself, the musicians, the audience, the security...as Morrissey himself has quipped, "it's not opera."

I've no idea why you've brought Leonard Cohen and Emily Dickinson into the discussion.

You don't? Was the context of my statement too difficult for you to grasp? I was contrasting a Morrissey rock concert with something genteel and abstract and detached and dull, like Leonard Cohen, who I despise, and who to me represents the epitome of useless, pretentious, anesthetized crap. Musical embalming fluid.

I brought up Dickinson, whom I admire, because she had genuine talent and brilliance and was clearly at odds with her environment. She wrote and wrote and wrote and lived to write, and she was original, and she did not go out of her way to seek glory or fame or the accolades of others. Had YouTube existed in her time, she's have probably been horrified by it. To me she is the supreme antithesis of this wannabe torchsinger broad, who looks like a Barbie doll and hides behind a disease she probably doesn't even have to begin with, much less understand, and then beckons to the world from YouTube to notice her, as she sings someone else's song (badly, I might add.) She's a phony.

I doubt you have any knowledge of either artist.

You have nothing to base that on and you might as well have feces exploding from a hole in your center because that's how much of an ass you sound like. I am unfortunately extremely familiar with Cohen's "work", as my father owned all his shitty boring albums and played them constantly, and my girlfriend has several of his CDs. As for Dickinson, I am a huge fan and have been for years.

Now by all means, respond, let's keep this going, bestow upon me some more of your brainless chatter, and try to sound clever...because I would love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skylarker loaded his cannon and cut loose with such fire that it blasted BrummieBoy back to "True to You " !!! Hee Hee
I do like the cover for the simple melody and her voice but the video is very distracting . She trys to look way to coy .

The attitudes alot of posters here are showing towards this girl reflects the general reaction to mental health issues in this country. It's a shame because in regards to homophobia and race we have made progress. But with mental health and disability we appear to be in the dark ages.

@skylarker

Thank you for sharing more of your complex and challenging worldview. So, you watched / listened to 35 seconds of a young artists interpretation of a song and that was enough to justify abusive sexism which you now repeat and amplify. It would appear you think this language pathology is socially acceptable, but I doubt your mother or sister(s) would tolerate such language at Thanksgiving. If you're heterosexual I hope you find a therapist to help you work through your issues. If you're not, I hope you come to terms with your sexuality and stop projecting your repression and anger onto women.

I enjoyed 'American Slang' by The Gaslight Anthem, a new beat combo for me to explore. I like the testosterone and tattoos ambience. The singer is quite sexy. The lyrics reveal hidden emotinal complexity. I may listen to more of their music.

I note your ad hominems. Another damaging character flaw like gratuitous sexist insults. I hope you don't carry on like this on Facebook! Future employers will not approve. Some of your clarifications are interesting but THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT! Or to use curse words. Would you talk like that in Wal-Mart? Where do you work as you 'suck it up' and cope unlike wuzzes like Jemma? Do you curse your colleagues?

Kurt Cobain is relevant to the discussion. As is 'Laughing Lenny'.

'He’d spoken sensitively and movingly about suicide many times over the years, memorably after the passing of Kurt Cobain in 1994:
“I felt sad and I felt envious. I admire people who self-destruct. They’re refusing to continue with unhappiness which shows tremendous self-will. It must be very frightening to sit down and look at your watch and think, in thirty minutes I would not be here.”
“I think suicide intrigues everybody,” he’d said, “and yet it’s one of those things that nobody can ever really talk about in an interesting way. You always have the usual, ‘oh it’s so negative’, it’s so the wrong attitude…So many of the people I admire took their lives…Stevie Smith, Sylvia Plath, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Rachel Roberts…
“You could say it was negative leaving the world but if people’s lives are so enriched in the first place then ideas of suicide would never occur. Most people, as we know, lead desperate and hollow lives.”

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/music/meetings-with-morrissey/

Morrissey concerts amuse me and I enjoy the manufactured hysteria and the sweaty catharsis of repression temporarily released. However, I note that Morrissey also now plays staid, seated venues such as the Birmingham Symphony Hall. I surmise that this is his reponse to the problem of sexual assault which sadly sometimes occurs in unseated mosh-pit free for alls.

Have you been to a Leonard Cohen concert? Try it. There's an indescribable build up of tension over 3 hours. It's an incredible emotional catharsis but it does require the audience control any emotional dysregulation, which you may find challenging. Leonard's concerts are as good as tantric sex. It's not for the faint-hearted and I doubt most of Morrissey's audience could cope with such nuance and complexity, but maybe Morrissey will surprise me yet. He certainly has the songs to do a slow-burn show. I note Morrissey is extremely circumspect about Leonard, which is .... interesting. As far as i know, he's been very wary of commenting on L.C's oeuvre. I think this comes from a profound respect for him, but I may be wrong.

I'm sorry you had a troubled relationship with your father and hope you find a way to resolve this.

I'm a great admire of Ms Dickinson and it's certainly useful to speculate how she would navigate the hyper-reality of modern internet culture. I wonder how she would respond to the sexualisation of female public imagery. Dickinson. Austen. Kristeen Young. Lady Ga-Ga: this is a fascinating topic. I now understand why you linked Emily to Jemma.

http://voices.yahoo.com/emily-dickinson-her-perspective-beyond-the-188236.html

Jemma didn't 'seek fame'. Some bizarre viral buzz in China delivered millions to watch her in her bedroom. You might take the time to watch the extraordinary performance that triggered this. But maybe you share Morrissey's blind-spot about lyrical rap genius like Eminem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB520BHXkhA

I've been following this site and the debate about its' future. Kristeen Young's observation of '3 mental patients' was an hilarious summary. But DavidT is right to highlight Morrissey's incorrigible and morbid obsession with Madonna. He couldn't even enjoy being honoured in Tel Aviv without stroking his pet peeve. His Art co-creates his Audience. His abusive comments about Madonna's adopted child render his protests about this site redundant. He can dish it out but he can't take it.

You've listened to 35 seconds of Jemma and dismissed her as a 'phony'. You may have some ADHD issues.

Don't box yourself in! I'm assuming you're a young man and are navigating the insecurites and complexities of relationships, seeking refuge from frail masculinity in abusive sexism, whilst covertly embracing Morrissey's ambiguous stance. But you can change. Your abusive sexism need not ruin your life. Enjoy Morrissey's shows. Don't assume that the beautiful women who ignore you are 'coozes'. Maybe one day you'll bump into Jemma, finally freed from her Emily Dickinson-esque seclusion. Maybe she'll ask you out on a date.

This site is an 'asylum' of sorts. A refuge for troubled souls like yourself who are struggling to navigate life's complexities. I hope your journey on this site brings you to healing and genuine masculine power rather than terrified sexist inadequacy. Morrissey is a therapist. Eminem is a therapist. And Jemma Pixie Hixon explores both as she observes the quagmire of human relationships from her troubled seclusion.

best wishes

Last edited:
The attitudes alot of posters here are showing towards this girl reflects the general reaction to mental health issues in this country. It's a shame because in regards to homophobia and race we have made progress. But with mental health and disability we appear to be in the dark ages.

Spot on. Bullseye.

Skylarker loaded his cannon and cut loose with such fire that it blasted BrummieBoy back to "True to You " !!! Hee Hee
I do like the cover for the simple melody and her voice but the video is very distracting . She trys to look way to coy .

Is this comment addressed to anyone other than yourself? I have no connection with 'True-to-You'.

You have the option to put on a blindfold and enjoy her cover-version without the visual co-efficient.

best wishes

@ Brummieboy - that quote from Morrissey, I remember when he said it (was it from Q Magazine?) but I don't remember the mention of James Dean when addressing those who had committed suicide. I haven't read that interview in a long time, though. I would like to clear up that James Dean did not take his own life. He was in a fatal car accident caused by an illegal left turn by Donald Turnupseed. The wreck wasn't even Jimmy's fault! The notion that James Dean had a death wish is false. I know this because of years and years of studying the man's life. As for Marilyn, well, that's up in the air. However, I believe without doubt that she was murdered.

Carry on. I just had to clear that one up...

Last edited:
I am sorry guys but this is horrible.
1. Her voice is ok but nothing interesting at all.
2. She is as fake as all mainstream artists are and her intent is to drag attention to her physical beauty.
3. Her look when she sings is the look of lust which makes me believe that she has NO IDEA what she is singing about. It's that look of all of those mainstream singers when they sing - no matter what it is , happy, sad, depressing, revolting... It makes me mad!
4. Yeah ok, sad about her agoraphobia story but I am sorry I cannot see it in her perfomance.. in fact I can see just another singer..

Me too I couldn't finish the whole thing.. too irritating..!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom