Johnny Marr 2024 UK Tour

It appears that the article is now behind a paywall, so here's what it says:

Johnny Marr Glasgow Barrowland review: Former Smith has upper hand​

"It's nice to be back in one of the best places in the world," Johnny Marr tells the Barrowland crowd, to the obligatory cheer. "Usually I just pander to the audience but in this case it's actually true..."

The former Smiths guitarist is celebrating 10 years of his solo career with his Spirit Power tour, the album of the same name having gone top 10, and the sense is very much of his having gained the upper hand over his erstwhile bandmate - you know the one.

While Morrissey has spent the last couple of decades expressing support for the likes of Anne Marie Waters, Tommy Robinson and declaring "ultimately everyone prefers their own race", Marr's intricate, distinctive guitar has featured on albums by the likes of Blondie and Noel Gallagher and on the James Bond soundtrack.

He certainly seems like a man on top of the world as he belies his 60 years with an exuberant entrance before launching into solo track 'Sensory Street'.

It's a pulsating opening but, of course, the majority of the crowd are here for some Smiths.

Marr obliges on track two, a stomping 'Panic' bringing an early chant-along for its famous "hang the DJ" coda, but solo efforts such as 'Generate! Generate!' don't seem out of place and are - almost - as well-received.

"Jack's just going to make a small technical adjustment," the crowd is told before 'This Charming Man' and when a small delay prompts a "f***'s sake, Jack!" from the crowd the former Smith responds with a well-timed "exactly".

If there's a dip in proceedings it comes immediately after with a more reflective number from Marr's most recent album but, of course, he can simply reach for 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' to ensure everyone is immediately back onside.

There's an airing for a number of songs from his other former band, Electronic, one of which 'Get The Message' could very well have sparked a moshpit if most of the audience wasn't a little past the age for such shenanigans.

Watching one of the nation's finest guitarists at work is never going to be anything other than a pleasure, and Marr and his band bring a beefed-up live sound to those ubiquitous Smiths songs.

That spirit is exemplified in the decision to throw in a cover of Iggy Pop's 'The Passenger' before the biggest cheer of the night for 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'.

Perhaps the biggest compliment to Marr and co is that you wouldn't want to hear these songs played by anyone else - including you-know-who.

"It's nice to be back in one of the best places in the world," Johnny Marr tells the Barrowland crowd, to the obligatory cheer. "Usually I just pander to the audience but in this case it's actually true..."

The former Smiths guitarist is celebrating 10 years of his solo career with his Spirit Power tour, the album of the same name having gone top 10, and the sense is very much of his having gained the upper hand over his erstwhile bandmate - you know the one.

While Morrissey has spent the last couple of decades expressing support for the likes of Anne Marie Waters, Tommy Robinson and declaring "ultimately everyone prefers their own race", Marr's intricate, distinctive guitar has featured on albums by the likes of Blondie and Noel Gallagher and on the James Bond soundtrack.

He certainly seems like a man on top of the world as he belies his 60 years with an exuberant entrance before launching into solo track 'Sensory Street'.

It's a pulsating opening but, of course, the majority of the crowd are here for some Smiths.

Marr obliges on track two, a stomping 'Panic' bringing an early chant-along for its famous "hang the DJ" coda, but solo efforts such as 'Generate! Generate!' don't seem out of place and are - almost - as well-received.

"Jack's just going to make a small technical adjustment," the crowd is told before 'This Charming Man' and when a small delay prompts a "f***'s sake, Jack!" from the crowd the former Smith responds with a well-timed "exactly".

If there's a dip in proceedings it comes immediately after with a more reflective number from Marr's most recent album but, of course, he can simply reach for 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' to ensure everyone is immediately back onside.

There's an airing for a number of songs from his other former band, Electronic, one of which 'Get The Message' could very well have sparked a moshpit if most of the audience wasn't a little past the age for such shenanigans.

Watching one of the nation's finest guitarists at work is never going to be anything other than a pleasure, and Marr and his band bring a beefed-up live sound to those ubiquitous Smiths songs.

That spirit is exemplified in the decision to throw in a cover of Iggy Pop's 'The Passenger' before the biggest cheer of the night for 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'.

Perhaps the biggest compliment to Marr and co is that you wouldn't want to hear these songs played by anyone else - including you-know-who.

Ah yes I posted this review yesterday and as I said yesterday I'm not sure why they needed to make shitty comments about Morrissey as this was a Marr gig, the other 2 reviews didn't mention Morrissey at all. You're also the anon clown who posted about wearing a Morrissey T shirt at a Marr gig, so it looks like you're a bit of a shit stirrer.

Ah yes I posted this review yesterday and as I said yesterday I'm not sure why they needed to make shitty comments about Morrissey as this was a Marr gig, the other 2 reviews didn't mention Morrissey at all. You're also the anon clown who posted about wearing a Morrissey T shirt at a Marr gig, so it looks like you're a bit of a shit stirrer.
Not at all, my friend. I get the impression that sadly a lot of people at the Marr gig may hold similar sentiments to the reviewer and I find this to be a very sad state of affairs indeed. Wearing a M t shirt at a Marr gig (at which half of the setlist's lyrics were penned by M) should cause no issues, yet I actually fear it may lead to hostile remarks being made by fellow audience members.

Morrissey is present in the room even at a Marr gig. Everyone hearing Johnny but hearing Moz.

Not at all, my friend. I get the impression that sadly a lot of people at the Marr gig may hold similar sentiments to the reviewer and I find this to be a very sad state of affairs indeed. Wearing a M t shirt at a Marr gig (at which half of the setlist's lyrics were penned by M) should cause no issues, yet I actually fear it may lead to hostile remarks being made by fellow audience members.

I don't agree, everyone I know go to both Morrissey and Marr shows. At the Manchester Marr gig there were lots of people with Smiths T shirts on which of course include pictures of Morrissey on some of them.

Looks like the writer of the article doesn’t like Morrissey or The Smiths as per the post by Dorothy in the unexpected mentions thread.

Last edited:
Wearing A Morrissey Shirt at a Johnny Marr show (and standing on the front row so Marr sees it)

Has anyone done this? What happened?
Nothing - I've seen Johnny outside shows with other fans, some of whom wearing Morrissey shirts, and he happily chats to them and signs stuff. He's not petty enough to care about stuff like that, and must be fully aware that there is a large crossover of fans who still support both him and his erstwhile partner.

Wearing A Morrissey Shirt at a Johnny Marr show (and standing on the front row so Marr sees it)

Has anyone done this? What happened?
Why would you, though? Just seems deliberately provocative/attention seeking.

That's rubbish. Music fans in general usually either love or loathe Morrissey's music - but they rarely, if ever, care about his (supposed) politics. People who go to see a Marr concert aren't general music fans, they are on the whole Smiths fans. And Smiths fans also rarely, if ever, care about Moz's (supposed) politics. It's a non-issue. In all my years of wearing a Moz t-shirt, I have had comments about not liking the man's music and persona, but never about not liking his politics. People don't care about such things. It's only an issue that is brought up by the media.

These reviewers are utterly obsessed with Morrissey.

"Oooh Morrissey's awful, Marr is much better than Morrissey, Morrissey isn't very good at all, really - but let's keep talking about Morrissey..."

Tragic.

I like the newer acoustic version of 'Please Please' he's been doing on this tour. Makes a nice change from the electric guitar version I've usually heard Johnny do.

I really like Marr and his music and he certainly deserves the good reviews, the concerts look awesome and I'm still sad, that he doesn't tour Europe, so I could attend.

But he is also hyped hard as the "good Smith" at the moment, which is 100% Morrissey's own fault, don't get me wrong. But it's another thing I just really don't get with Morrissey, he just lets him have it.

I really like Marr and his music and he certainly deserves the good reviews, the concerts look awesome and I'm still sad, that he doesn't tour Europe, so I could attend.

But he is also hyped hard as the "good Smith" at the moment, which is 100% Morrissey's own fault, don't get me wrong. But it's another thing I just really don't get with Morrissey, he just lets him have it.

I've nothing against Marr, but his songs and his singing are pathetic. Likewise, there is evidence to indicate that Morrissey is not an especially nice person, at least in his interactions with certain people, but that doesn't stop me admiring and appreciating his songs and his singing.

These reviewers are utterly obsessed with Morrissey.

"Oooh Morrissey's awful, Marr is much better than Morrissey, Morrissey isn't very good at all, really - but let's keep talking about Morrissey..."

Tragic.

There’s hardly any mention of Morrissey in the other reviews, the guy who reviewed Glasgow has made it clear he doesn’t like Morrissey on his social media.

I've nothing against Marr, but his songs and his singing are pathetic. Likewise, there is evidence to indicate that Morrissey is not an especially nice person, at least in his interactions with certain people, but that doesn't stop me admiring and appreciating his songs and his singing.

Everyone has their own opinion. Johnnys had 4 top ten albums now and this tour is taking in some pretty big venues so he seems to building up a decent following.

Back
Top Bottom