Johnny Marr: "Morrissey is evil and should be stuffed"

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I've just been reading through Morrissey's autobiography, and on p. 266 he claims that Johnny Marr appeared in a number of TV interviews in the mid 90's where he said "Morrissey is a bad smell in the attic", "Morrissey is a death-machine" and "Morrissey is evil and should be stuffed".

Does anyone know, or have YouTube clips, of which TV appearances Johnny said these things? I've been trying to track them down, but I'm not having much luck at the moment. :(

I don't have any idea of the source of those but in 1991 when Marr was being interviewed by NME in promotion of Electronic's first album he called Moz... "Dorrissey" and called Our Frank... "Alf Wank"

So there is definitely a time where Marr was being a bit anti-Moz. I don't doubt those quotes in Autobiography happened but Marr has had a very different tune over the past decade and I doubt he would say anything like that again.

That being said, I too would love to see video or even written context for those quotes.

I don't have any idea of the source of those but in 1991 when Marr was being interviewed by NME in promotion of Electronic's first album he called Moz... "Dorrissey" and called Our Frank... "Alf Wank"

So there is definitely a time where Marr was being a bit anti-Moz. I don't doubt those quotes in Autobiography happened but Marr has had a very different tune over the past decade and I doubt he would say anything like that again.

That being said, I too would love to see video or even written context for those quotes.

That was Bernard Sumner IIRC.

I certainly got the impression it was Johnny that said that about Our Frank, I thought he was trying to endear himself to Bernard Sumner by saying it.

But as for those quotes from the autobiography, they are exaggerations, I don't think Johnny literally said those things.

But as for those quotes from the autobiography, they are exaggerations, I don't think Johnny literally said those things.

This.

These aren't actual statements from Marr, Morrissey was just using overstatement to emphasize the point that Marr went through a period where he wasn't always complimentary towards Morrissey in the press.

lol the best sumner incident i can think of is when jools holland takes the guitar from his hands and says thats enough. so funny

I remember reading this exact thing, but I don't think it was in an interview. It was in a gossipy piece supposedly quoting private conversations, IIRC (it is a long time ago).

In a very open interview with Q magazine in April 1994, Morrissey stated about Johnny:
"We speak constantly, which is a great joy to me, because after the great gulf of the horrendous breakdown, it was truly uplifting for us to become friends again and to realise that he was still as funny and creative and uplifting to be around....I loved and love Johnny Marr."

So this was obviously in the flush of their rekindled friendship following their drive to Saddleworth Moor that Morrissey describes in the book. So whatever slight he describes from Johnny that occurred in some TV interview, must have been after 1994, which rules out Johnny allegedly referring to Our Frank 'Alf Wank' according to a 1991 NME interview.

um why couldnt the comment by johnny have occurred in the giant breakdown he describes. it doesnt state when they became friends again so why couldnt he have made the alf wank comment in 91 only for them to become friends again in 92 or 93. i dont know either way about the comment itself but i think your logics missing something there in that statement.

There are so many people who would call him evil. Even Kirsty Maccoll said she was surprised no one came forward to the press about how poorly he treated his ex-partners.

Back
Top Bottom