Johnny Marr plays Smiths songs with orchestra in Manchester (December 7-8, 2023)

Surface posted the link in the original thread:

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Also:

How Soon Is Now?

Panic

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

EDIT 4:24PM PT
link posted by Mozzer1980:

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Image from unknown Instagram source posted by Amy:

full

Related item:

Last edited:
While Johnny isn't the best singer in the world the audience's dreadful performance ruined all these songs. Hopefully better recordings are out there.

I remember that Andy and Mike were all up for this a couple of years ago and it was advertised but soon shot down in flames by legalities i guess but from who ?

Did no one film 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me'? That was one of the best songs of the night.

I meant the Rolling Stones songs that the casual listener actually knows and likes!

EDIT: I just listened to ‘Happy’ and ‘Connection’ for the first time in 10+ years. Keith does a good job on Happy but as far as I could tell it’s essentially a Jagger impersonation and Mick helps to carry the song anyway with his own backing vocals. On Connection Mick’s voice is prominent while Keith does a Bob Dylan impersonation on the backing (or co-lead) vocals. I’ll concede that it appears that Keith can hold his own on the vocal side although I wouldn’t have any interest in hearing him do ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’.

Last edited:
Probably not but 10000 people paid to see Johnny Marr play lots of his solo stuff along with some Smiths and Electronic songs.

so it must be good?

More people pay Pink to perform her songs, so I guess you think her songs/performance is good too?

Yeah. Someone should compare Morrissey and Johnny perform Smiths songs and then draw a Venn diagram.

Morrissey sings them better, Johnny plays them better, don't thinks there's any debate about that, although I do wonder what Morrissey would sound like if he played guitar and sang them at the same time.

I'm torn between thinking it's interesting and I'd probably have a great time if I was there, and thinking the whole set-up and situation is stupid. I welcome anything that celebrates The Smiths or brings them to a new audience but really, Morrissey and Marr should be looking back on their legacy and planning this kind of stuff together if it happens at all. Instead they are essentially doing versions of the same things separately, whilst not speaking. It's farcical. It's ego and stubbornness and stupidity and they both need to grow the f*** up.

Back
Top Bottom