Lyrical references to Non-Morrissey works in the debut Smiths album

raincoated lover

concrete sister
I'm doing an essay on The Smiths debut album and I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers into 'A Taste of Honey' style references in Morrissey's lyrics on the album.

For example, 'I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice..'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Raincoated Lover

I'm doing an essay on The Smiths debut album and I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers into 'A Taste of Honey' style references in Morrissey's lyrics on the album.

For example, 'I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice..'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Raincoated Lover

This night has opened my eyes has a few:
the dream has gone, but the baby is real,

the opening scene has the two girls chatting, one asks 'you going out tonight?' and she replies, 'I would but I havent got anything to wear' (this charming man)

Jo to the sailor boy 'I'll probably never see you again' (hand in glove)

alma maters.... Ellen is giving Jo some grief and Jo says 'it's my life to do ruin however I want to (or something like that)

I'll think of more and post, kewpie will probably post a link:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Delaney's "A Taste Of Honey" features the following lines which were adapted by Morrissey mainly for the Smiths' "Reel Around The Fountain" and "This Night Has Opened My Eyes", but also other songs:
"I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice";
"You told me not to trust men calling themselves Smith.";
"That river, it's the colour of lead.";
"I'm not sorry and I'm not glad";
"Oh well, the dream's gone, but the baby's real enough";
"It's a long time, six months";
"You can't just wrap it up in a bundle of newspaper. And dump it on a doorstep.";
"I'll probably never see you again";
"I don't owe you a thing";
"As merry as the day is long";
"Sing me to sleep";
"You want taking in hand";
"It's your life, ruin it your own way.".

From www.passionsjustlikemine.com in the literature section, so some of the lines may not have been in the film (I don't recall the line about not trusting men called Smith!)

Surprised the above list doesn't include the This Charming Man quote I described in my above post!

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
"Pretty Girls Make Graves" - title taken from Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums

This Charming Man "A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place" is from a film with Lawrence Olivier - Sleuth, i think it's called.

"Suffer Little Children" - title from the Bible I think.

If you look at passionsjustlikemine.com and beg, steal or borrow a Mozipedia and you won't go far wrong.

Back
Top Bottom