Modest Marr in Concert - LA 2006

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
Go here to download:

http://netzoo.net/mm20061106/ The recording purports to be 'fair to middling', which could mean anything.

The gig includes some songs expected to be included on “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank”, which has, I think, been delayed for release until March.

My first listen to any Modest Mouse, so I haven't a clue what to expect, other than that some people here say they're crap. Might as well have a listen and judge for myself, then.

Go here to download:

http://netzoo.net/mm20061106/ The recording purports to be 'fair to middling', which could mean anything.

The gig includes some songs expected to be included on “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank”, which has, I think, been delayed for release until March.

My first listen to any Modest Mouse, so I haven't a clue what to expect, other than that some people here say they're crap. Might as well have a listen and judge for myself, then.

Thanks very much for the link.

I'm not surprised to find MM haters among this crowd. For some reason it's easy to loathe the unfamiliar in this particular web community. I liked MM before Marr joined and now I'm sure I'll enjoy them even more. Thank you for the link.

I'm not surprised to find MM haters among this crowd. For some reason it's easy to loathe the unfamiliar in this particular web community. I liked MM before Marr joined and now I'm sure I'll enjoy them even more. Thank you for the link.

Hello, Latin Drummer. It's fashionable to hate The Healers here, too. I think we need a 'Forum League for the Defence of Johnny Marr' or something ;)

Well, three listens in, I can't say I'm overly-enamoured with MM, although I'm sure the quality of this recording is doing them no favours at all. The first thing that struck me is that they sounded a bit sloppy, although this improved as the gig progressed. Makes me wonder if what's delaying the album is the band needing more time for the integration of Marr into the line-up and his ideas into the output.

As to the material, it didn't make me run screaming for the hills, but at several points I found myself wanting to reach instead for a Clash CD and hear it done properly. And then there's the singer; either you like someone's voice, or you don't, and I don't like this chap's, I'm afraid.

That said, I'm not giving up on MM until I've heard a decent quality recording, because they might be a different kettle of fish in the studio.

I've not heard anything by Modest Mouse since Johnaton joined them, but Good news for people who love bad news was one of my favourite albums of whichever year it was released (2004?).

The Healers sucked ass pretty badly in my opinion, bad lyrics, bad vocals and music that sounded like Johnny Marr playing Oasis covers. Piss poor.

Happy new year to everyone, sorry for taking the piss out of you all so much in 2006*.

*I'm not really.

Happy new year to everyone, sorry for taking the piss out of you all so much in 2006*.

*I'm not really.

Chareth, if I thought for a moment that you meant it, I'd be round checking your forehead for signs of a fever.

Is that you on your avatar, btw? If so, c'mere - I'm itching to pinch your cute little cheeks.

Where were the MM haters? Where some posts deleted? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom