Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

It wasn't your fault, you should be able to believe that someone will honour their end of a deal. No one could've predicted he would've been so shameless. However, if you do it again it will be your fault. Let this be a lesson to us all not to waste our time and money on people who don't deserve it.
So for those of you who are stuck travelling to Auckland with no band to see, here is a list of good things to do while you are here. Best restaurants/night life are in Viaduct Harbour and Ponsonby. High end shopping in Commercial Bay, right beside Viaduct Harbour. Want adventure? You can go up the Sky Tower for 360 views of the city and you can walk around the outside of the tower hooked to a wire 192 m off the ground. You can also bungy off the tower. You can walk up over the Harbour Bridge and you can bungy off the Harbour Bridge too. You can take a ferry to Waiheke Island and go on a winery tour, you can go to the North Shore and visit lovely beaches. You can take a ferry to Rangitoto Island and hike up the top of it or kayak there. We have a pretty cool museum, a rose garden, you can sail on an Americas Cup boat. There is the Weta Workshop which is the group that created Lord the Rings effects are interactive immersive make-believe film sets focusing on horror, fantasy and sci-fi. You can go on whale and dolphin watching tours.

And here is the Gig Guide for this week. https://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/gigRegion/Auckland

I hope you enjoy yourself here anyway. I am disappointed too.
Many many thanks for these tips - they’re very much needed!

It's obvious that he lacks a moral compass

I feel sorry for fans who paid for flights and hotels. Fans who don't even have the comfort of an official reason/excuse for the cancellation. If Moz is to blame then he should feel bad about this. If he isn't to blame his team should explain why NZ is cancelled. Not good to end a tour on a cancellation.

Word tour (media whore), please the press in Auckland. This was your life, and when it fails to recoup well maybe, you just haven't earned it yet, baby.

I had a feeling NZ was not going to happen. I think it's clear Moz just can't stand flying and the hassle of airports - with all the little hitlers who boss you around and tell where you stand. My guess is the California shows will happen because it is assumed he still spends some of his time there? Although Moz's 'home' these days is a question mark. I think he sold his house in LA didn't he?
Will the shows in South America happen in 2024? I would say it's 50/50. I certainly wouldn't risk booking flights and hotels unless I was happy to just be a tourist instead.
It seems that unless he winds his neck in and gives back the advance money to Capitol, his recording career is over. You would think someone in that position would bust a gut to maintain a good relationship with his remaining fans who continue to buy concert tickets.

I don't doubt he hates the bureaucracy of airports, but I find it hard to believe that for someone who once owned homes in Los Angeles, Rome and Switzerland, getting around on a plane, tanked up on booze, causes him problems. Particularly if maintaining a 5 Star nomadic lifestyle keeps his tax liability to a minimum.

It's still interesting to read a few remaining people who articulate themselves like professional politicians and talk about the need to calculate the profitability of such tours better next time. Morrissey's aspirations and reality are increasingly diverging and even if I can understand that people are thrilled at the current concerts (probably simply because they can see him again, not because he's as good as he's ever been), the shoals that follow every played concert are huge.

It wasn't your fault, you should be able to believe that someone will honour their end of a deal. No one could've predicted he would've been so shameless. However, if you do it again it will be your fault. Let this be a lesson to us all not to waste our time and money on people who don't deserve it.
Good points. When I go to other concerts I never have to even consider the possibility they will cancel. With Moz it is always in the back of my mind, even though he's never cancelled any of the concerts I've been to over the years. But the thought is still there. I feel bad for the NZ cancellation casualties. Personally I'd be very unlikely to shell out € for flights/hotels for any artist but I can understand how people would if it's a rare chance to see their favourite artist.

It seems that unless he winds his neck in and gives back the advance money to Capitol, his recording career is over. You would think someone in that position would bust a gut to maintain a good relationship with his remaining fans who continue to buy concert tickets.

I don't doubt he hates the bureaucracy of airports, but I find it hard to believe that for someone who once owned homes in Los Angeles, Rome and Switzerland, getting around on a plane, tanked up on booze, causes him problems. Particularly if maintaining a 5 Star nomadic lifestyle keeps his tax liability to a minimum.
He has spoken previously about how much he 'despises' air travel. That's a strong word.

Good points. When I go to other concerts I never have to even consider the possibility they will cancel. With Moz it is always in the back of my mind, even though he's never cancelled any of the concerts I've been to over the years. But the thought is still there. I feel bad for the NZ cancellation casualties. Personally I'd be very unlikely to shell out € for flights/hotels for any artist but I can understand how people would if it's a rare chance to see their favourite artist.
He cancelled vancouver on me, but then rescheduled for several months later. The good thing about that was that there were only a few rows of people there because (I imagine) a lot of people just cashed in their tickets, so I was practically front row.

And so the 40 years mystery tour comes to a crashing end- with another bizarre cancelation, and we finally got two new setlist songs😁
Odds in Vegas are 60/40 he cancels at least one of the YATQ shows.... the fan base needs a Bonfire album update to perhaps raise our hopes for 2024.....more album and release date info less nonsense -

He has spoken previously about how much he 'despises' air travel. That's a strong word.

You don't like airports? Take a train or a boat if you absolutely have to play tours outside of California (because you are relevant). I find it more than inappropriate, to refer to airport staff as "little Hitlers". After 2001, the climate at airports has fundamentally changed and fear is often enough a factor. You can't always expect the security and service staff to roll out the red carpet when Mr. Morrissey arrives. On the contrary, his behavior on the flight to Dublin resembles that of a drunken monarch demanding special rights.

the smaller the venue the smaller the profit,moving band and crew on and off planes and hotel rooms cant be cheap so the profit margin gets smalller and its just not viable to continue with the show.
if that is the case then these things should be worked out before they leave for the first show.

It's traditional for showbiz people to employ a special person to deal with admin issues like this. Maybe he should give that idea a try.

You don't like airports? Take a train or a boat if you absolutely have to play tours outside of California (because you are relevant). I find it more than inappropriate, to refer to airport staff as "little Hitlers". After 2001, the climate at airports has fundamentally changed and fear is often enough a factor. You can't always expect the security and service staff to roll out the red carpet when Mr. Morrissey arrives. On the contrary, his behavior on the flight to Dublin resembles that of a drunken monarch demanding special rights.
I completely agree with you, many of us don't like what air travel has become but we recognize the need for it, you would think that someone who is always yammering on about terrorism would understand as well - that it's for everyone's safety.
What does he do? Claimed he was groped. which was completely debunked. Another time gets completely trashed and is yelling and making a complete ass of himself.
I hate to fly too and will happily take a gin and tonic when the flight attendant offers drinks, but one is the limit for me.

Fun fact about M and airports: in Dale Hibbert's book he mentions meeting him again in the 80s... when Dale was working at Manchester airport. There was a nod of recognition as he passed him through, alledgedly.

Back
Top Bottom