Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

Why logistics, or having health issues, or being a deeply concerned cat lover not bearing the idea of a children's cat killing contest with cash prize aren't valuable enough reasons -if these are the reasons? In any case, he couldn't give details without prompting another indignation campaign, so the best for him is to remain factual.
_
2023 Disclaimer: Not saying Kiwis hate cats, only wondering how people in charge seriously thought this crazy contest could have been a nice way to teach kids about biodiversity...
There has been no 'factual' explanation given. Just the standard 'logistical reasons' and we know that is obviously bullshit. So, in fact, no explanation has been given.

Just ridiculous. Pretty soon noone will cover him to do tours. He has become way too risky for risk averse insurance companies to take a punt on. Continually. It's clear that he just decides which gigs he does and which he doesn't as though that's acceptable behaviour. It is not. He can't be arsed, feels nothing for those who have lost money and travelled to places just to have him cancel on them and is just not into what he's doing anymore. The heart isn't in it.

Promoters should stop booking him. Insurance companies should stop insuring him. It should be practically impossible for Morrissey to tour. This sicko behavior will continue as long as his tours get booked.

I haven’t been to a Morrissey concert in nine years and I doubt I’ll ever see him again. The constant cancellations are one of the reasons why.

There are 2 possibilities for Moz's behaviour in terms of giving no explanation.

1. He doesn't think he needs to.
2. He genuinely doesn't care.

Take your pick. I do have to say, 2 is unlikely in my view - Moz I'm sure does care about his fans. If it is 1, then Moz is incorrect. He does need to. He is losing casual fans (and record buyers) with behaviour like this.
3. Both

He has spoken previously about how much he 'despises' air travel. That's a strong word.

Yeah but I don't buy that either. I think that's just typical Morrissey whingeing at being treated like everyone else. I've never felt oppressed or abused by airport staff. Yes you are occassionally told what part of the airport you need to be standing in but that's just an attempt at organisation - airports would be chaos otherwise. It's not 'little hitlers ordering you around'.

Plus Moz can well afford to travel first class, where they pretty much do lay out a red carpet for you and you are whisked through security and check-in, bypassing both the queueing process and the staff telling you where to stand.

"I hate airports" is no excuse at all for a man who is frequently announcing gigs all over the world. If he doesn't like air travel, he shouldn't tour.

the thing that always gets me about these cancellations is, if the reasons are something like the venue is too small, he doesn't want to travel, etc. etc. then why does he bother booking the date in the first place?? he really should just be realistic about what he actually wants to do.
if he wants to be a curmudgeonly bastard then fine but he should make his plans based on that

Well, a bunch of racists some fans have posted about how great it is to have his fanbase reduced to a hardcore that will be with him until he isn't saying anything they can claim is racist forever.

And I don't think that's working out either economically or in terms of his mental health.
Oh, do shut up.

I’m not sure what Thewlis is laughing at. Hopefully it’s not the criticism aimed at Morrissey. Hopefully his/her fandom isn’t preventing him/her from acknowledging that Morrissey’s behavior is deplorable and worth condemning.

He simply does not care about his fans. This has always been the case. In 1991 I had 2nd row seats for a Worcester Mass arena show. It did not sell out, so his eggshell ego fractured and he cancelled the show. Not as bad as when he cancelled Madison Square Garden (2007?) two hours before showtime. Flew a friend in from the west coast for that one. Seven times he has cancelled on me. I'll only even take a chance on tickets if the show is local. No way will I ever make travel plans again.

Seven Cancellations…. 4ck me.
He’s done me over only the once, but I’ll never give him a second opportunity to cancel on me again.
I’m done with the man.

That's true. We only allow teeny-tiny bite-sized cargo into our country.... bands like U2, Pink, Adele, Queen, Ed Sheeran with all their huge monitor walls never come here. Oh, wait..:unsure:
Ah now, in fairness Ed Sheeran just needs a small box for himself and a seat for his ventriloquist.

He simply does not care about his fans. This has always been the case. In 1991 I had 2nd row seats for a Worcester Mass arena show. It did not sell out, so his eggshell ego fractured and he cancelled the show. Not as bad as when he cancelled Madison Square Garden (2007?) two hours before showtime. Flew a friend in from the west coast for that one. Seven times he has cancelled on me. I'll only even take a chance on tickets if the show is local. No way will I ever make travel plans again.
One of the last and only reasons I am still happy to live in New York City is that Moz's concerts usually do happen here and for multiple nights sometimes.

Yikes. The fact that this show was the very last leg of the tour and was a completely sold out show is alarming. He is up there in age and many artists have been open on how draining touring can be mentally so for the people saying it’s due to him focusing on his mental health I wouldn’t doubt that’s the reason why.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom