morrissey rejects smiths reunion

vivabob

Ordinary Boy
Morrissey rejects fresh attempt at Smiths reunion
Plus the singer says he won't be touring himself any more
5 hours ago
Morrissey has revealed he has turned down a near-£40 million offer to tour again with his old band The Smiths.

The star, who also rejected a request to headline the Coachella Festival with the group in 2006, was asked if he would perform 50 shows throughout the world in 2008 and 2009.

The only condition was that he would have to tour with the band's guitarist and co-songwriter Johnny Marr, thus meaning it the reunion not dependent on the participation of bassist Andy Rourke and drummer Mike Joyce.

Joyce famously won a court case against Morrissey and Marr in 2006, when he sued for royalties from his days in the band. The proceedings caused a massive rift which has never been healed.

The Smiths split up in 1987, shortly after they head recorded their fourth studio album 'Strangeways Here We Come'. Speculation that the band would reform has been rife for years.

Morrissey, currently without a record contract, also revealed that his forthcoming residencies in Los Angeles and New York, revealed by NME.COM earlier this week, are the last live shows he is going to perform "for the foreseeable future".

A statement from the star said of the forthcoming dates: "The desire is to go out with some great memories for everyone as who knows what the future will bring."

from nme.com

Where have you been, bob?

Since this morning all of us freaked out reading the statement posted on true-to-you. :p

since this is referring to the smiths offer I wanted to comment asking if anyone remembers what Johnny said recently regarding the alleged what was it £5 mill offer that Morrissey was talking about before, Johnny said something like he personally was not in the position to turn an offer like that down. Or did I dream that?

im with you you dont get many things wrong

since this is referring to the smiths offer I wanted to comment asking if anyone remembers what Johnny said recently regarding the alleged what was it £5 mill offer that Morrissey was talking about before, Johnny said something like he personally was not in the position to turn an offer like that down. Or did I dream that?

not exactly. he said its not that he's NOT in need of money, while he does need the money and isn't filthy rich, but despite needing the money he still wouldn't go about it by reuniting the Smiths again, and going about it that way. so, he kinda made it clear he isn't interested with 'any' amount of money being offered, period. my assumption based on what he's said the last several interviews and one of which being just a couple months ago, some video thing. so, that says something right there.
i respect it, too.

not exactly. he said its not that he's NOT in need of money, while he does need the money and isn't filthy rich, but despite needing the money he still wouldn't go about it by reuniting the Smiths again, and going about it that way. so, he kinda made it clear he isn't interested with 'any' amount of money being offered, period. my assumption based on what he's said the last several interviews and one of which being just a couple months ago, some video thing. so, that says something right there.
i respect it, too.

I've seen pictures of Marr in his back garden. He doesn't need the money. He is considerably richer than you or I. ;)

Morrissey and Marr, regardless of what we/ some of us say in the heat of the moment are far too aware of pop history legacy to sully themselves down the reformation path...

Honest.

I'm pretty sure behind the scenes that they still communicate (well they have to really) and I'm pretty sure that they must have discussed this offer at length.

Remember the legacy of the Smiths? Remember their "mission statement?"

Remember any reunion will sully the name, the legend etc. Hand on heart can anyone recall a decent band reunion? (I mean I'm going to see the Wedding Present reformation but it won't be the same, a la the Pixies etc etc) As Morrissey once said when asked the question, well I can only think of Pentangle!!!! LOL! (now theres a dig at Mr Marr if you're looking for one....)

Why are the Clash feted so much? They didn't reform despite the dodgy records at the end and the offers they were made. The Smiths never really made any dodgy LPs.

A historic legacy or a quick buck? what would you do?

Hand on heart can anyone recall a decent band reunion?

This probably proves your point since I can only think of two, but they're big ones in my book: Echo & The Bunnymen and The Go-Betweens.

P.S. It's amazing people are taking this "$75M to reform" story at face value.

This probably proves your point since I can only think of two, but they're big ones in my book: Echo & The Bunnymen and The Go-Betweens.

P.S. It's amazing people are taking this "$75M to reform" story at face value.

I'll give you the Go-Betweens, but the Bunnymen no.

$75 million is a piddly amount considering the money that could be made from such a thing happening.
i really don't ever think it should/will happen though, and even if it did, joyce would just pounce on them with lawyers and all and it would get all nasty again.
its a nice thought in dream world, but imagine if it wasn't the 'same' which in all honesty it never could be, how disappointed/let down would we all feel 'tis better to have a stonkingly good back catalogue than a half heated reunion. because frankly if it meant/means that much to them then they would never have stopped in the first place.

*changes her name and runs away from the fire thats about to rain down on me*

Back
Top Bottom