Morrissey statement on TTY 06/01/10

I've not got a good feeling about this at all :blushing: Which I know is absolutely immaterial, but..

It just doesn't weigh upon me easily, him now being without both record label AND management, particularly after that catastrophic 'Swords' tour where so much went wrong..I know I'd certainly feel a bit discouraged with all this going on. :blushing:

I was kind of thinking the same thing...The reason Irving A and company took him on in the first place was to ultimately persuade him to reunite with Marr/The Smiths..That's where the real money is.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was in fact the case for him dropping them -- facing no immediate plans for his solo career, I can see it being something they might suggest at a time like now, whether or not we here see it as a feasible career move.

My personal preference will always be the Morrissey and Marr option, working on NEW material as so many of the great collaborators have as of late. For the most part, it usually DOES bear well -- not only the aforementioned Page and Plant, but also projects like ShelleyDevoto (BRILLIANT :thumb:) and Linder and Devine :guitar:

Howard Devoto & Noko (Luxuria), and David McAlmont & Saul Freeman (Thieves) really need to get back together. I'd be a happy boy. :cool:

Last edited:
if he reunite with marr this would mean to throw so many years of work as soloist singer . morrissey had been consolidated in the last years . he does not need to bring to past, to be successful, I love the Smiths and in the memory of the band, and in romantic history of music that they never reunite again

if he reunite with marr this would mean to throw so many years of work as soloist singer . morrissey had been consolidated in the last years . he does not need to bring to past, to be successful, I love the Smiths and in the memory of the band, and in romantic history of music that they never reunite again

I completely agree

If Marr wrote one or two songs for a Morrissey solo album, that'd be great.
But nothing else. I definitely don't want to see them on stage together.

Still, this doesn't really bode too well. I expect it means a break...maybe a long one.

Last edited:

a reunion with johnny marr would not throw all his solo years away. A full Smiths reunion is a defo no go area, but why cant the two of them do something together? they both admitt they talk to each other and that they go for drinks every now and then, so it wouldnt be like they were doing it just for the money.

I dont like saying this but its a fact(unfortunatly) that time is against Morrissey now in the music industry as companies will not want to take him on due to his dropping sales. These dropping sales dont mean his popularity has gone down, because the record companies dont think about how many people have illegally donloaded an album/single. Companies are only interested in people they can defo sell.

A reunion with Marr would bring so much happiness to so many people, and would be a great career move for both moz and marr. New fans would be interested and maybe Moz would get that last record contract after the reunion.

All those who say "i dont want a reunion", i bet if the tickets went on sale tomorrow youd buy one! If you wouldnt then thats okay cause at least i'd stand a better chance at getting one:p

Why the hell not? Moz with better guitars? If they are billed as M&M then why would it tarnish The Smiths legacy? New material..... And I also don't see how it would tarnish Moz-Solo work? It's not like Mozer isn't playing Smiths songs in his shows anyways. Every time I hear Jessi hacking his way through Marr riffs it makes me taste a little puke in the back of my throat. For Christ sake, even Soundgarden is getting back together in 2010.

I consider his last three albums his top three albums.

Well, you can't argue with taste can you. Except when it's clearly as wrong as yours ;) :p

Seriously though, I don't see why people wouldn't be excited by the prospect of them working together again. Obviously be disappointed if it's a load of rubbish, but to not work together in case it's bad is stupid. Surely they can get together and try stuff out - if they don't like it then fine.

It seems however neither of them really want to do it, which is fine, but don't understand the fan attitude that it'd be bound to be rubbish.

A reunion with Marr would bring so much happiness to so many people

who? what if it was a flop?
any reunion with marr will be a pure nostalgia trip. i would prefer to see morrissey working with new people, or other former colleagues such as stephen street and vini reilly.

alain whyte has written songs to rival marr too. I don't see what would be so special about a full on saleable 'reunion' between M&M

A reunion with Johnny Marr would be a big mistake.

I think this is probably a mixture of them trying to get him to do stuff he doesn't want to do (probably reunion) and him not really needing a manager right now.

Whatever, I will always support the artist over the money men.

any reunion with marr will be a pure nostalgia trip. i would prefer to see morrissey working with new people, or other former colleagues such as stephen street and vini reilly.

alain whyte has written songs to rival marr too. I don't see what would be so special about a full on saleable 'reunion' between M&M

Exactly what I was talking about above? My standard reply to 'what if it was a flop?' is 'what if it was the most amazing thing Morrissey or Marr have ever done?' or even 'what if it was a bloody brilliant album whoever was involved?' - why must we assume they've lost it?

How is a Marr reunion and different in an argument that Reilly or Street? Except arguably M/M was better known pairing?

It'd be great (in my eyes) to have Moz collaborate with anyone older, or even someone new, as the current lineup is a bit stale at the moment I think, but you can see why people would push for a reunion of a much-rated duo like this.

first question- who? Answer- a lot of fans, maybe not you but certainly a big percentage of fans would like it

second question- flop? Answer- we would never know untill it happened, if it was a flop then so be it, people would just remember the good old day:guitar:

And your right a reunion with Stephen Street would be ace, how about a new Morrissey/Marr album with Stephen Street producing and Vini Reilly or Alain White controbuting to the song writing??

all good points, i concede. my wariness comes from the hype that would surround such a move and whether comparisons to the smiths will actually do morrissey much good - is it not slightly dangerous to come full circle on your career in such a way? - pretty dismissive of the twenty two years in between. ultimately, though, it seems a reunion between these two is the most likely reunion with any collaborator, and if it brings morrissey back into the limelight and prolongs his career then I'd be fine with it(not that my opinion matters).
after years of refusal and the swords tour - and, let's face it - his physical decline, the creeping sense that morrissey is becoming a faded 'chronicler of the decaying world' as it was suggested in an interview with paul morley a couple of years back is ever more relevant. To hook up with JM at this stage does seem somewhat undignified, especially given the amount of times both have dismissed the idea out of hand. For myself, i would much prefer to see morrissey working with new faces rather than old one - not that that is particularly likely to happen.

A big fat "Thank you, but no" regarding reunions with ex-smiths of any kind. Let the flawless magic rest.

I'd rather see Morrissey push things and himself forward. New challenges.

Well, we'd enjoy it, they'd enjoy it, and they'd profit from it. And I bet it would further Morrissey's solo career. If Morrissey was to release new material with Johnny, I personally would embrace it, not see it as necessarily a step backwards. Really, no matter what Moz releases and with whom, some people on this site will hate it and some will love, it no matter what.

You're basing this all off of what would happen if they would come together just to play Smiths' songs. What a few of us are suggesting is that M&M come together to come up with some NEW material. I hardly think that would tarnish the Smiths' legacy as it will not be the Smiths, in much the same air as ShelleyDevoto was not the Buzzcocks.

And your right a reunion with Stephen Street would be ace, how about a new Morrissey/Marr album with Stephen Street producing and Vini Reilly or Alain White controbuting to the song writing??

I personally think this is even MORE impossible than a Moz/Marr reunion. Moz dismissed Street and Reilly quite blatantly, but he THANKED Marr at an awards ceremony. I think it's obvious that while he says he's not one to reflect on the past, he can still acknowledge the immense effect Marr had on his career. And it was a mutual effect.

I don't understand this logic at all. How would Moz working with Street/Reilly not be a nostalgia trip in your sense of things? Just because his work with Street/Reilly was nowhere near as popular as the Smiths?

This is just a personal opinion. Alain's contribution to Moz's career is largely dismissed because of Moz's legacy with the Smiths. The Smiths had more of an impact in their time because their time was so short that there wasn't time to produce something regarded by the media as shit, whereas critics ignored 'Subpar Grandma' and 'Maladjusted' in the mid-90s. There was never anything like that in the Smiths' catalog. Being in their time, they were definitely more influential.

Why the hell not? Moz with better guitars? If they are billed as M&M then why would it tarnish The Smiths legacy? New material..... And I also don't see how it would tarnish Moz-Solo work?

This. :thumb:

funny how this thread has so quickly descended into a morrissey/marr rumour thread.

I think it's because it's very possible that Moz got fed up of the management trying to get him back together with Marr -- think about it, after the disastrous 'Swords' tour, it would be only good business to suggest to Moz something that would financially be in his best interest. We have absolutely no news of Moz working on a new album, so he's at a bit of a standstill at the moment. It's possible that the issue of a reunion was brought up again because it wouldn't be lucrative to be on one's way to managing an artist ready to go into his second 7-year seclusion so late in his career.

I don't understand the absolute faith people have in Johnny Marr. He just doesn't have it anymore. His work with the Cribs consists of him adding some Smithsy jangly riffs on top of already written songs. His contribution to the world of music the last ten years has been completely pointless.

It's just pure nostalgia and I think there are enough artists out there all following the nostalgia gravy train. We don't need any more, no matter how many critics might tell you different.

I think it's because it's very possible that Moz got fed up of the management trying to get him back together with Marr -- think about it, after the disastrous 'Swords' tour, it would be only good business to suggest to Moz something that would financially be in his best interest. We have absolutely no news of Moz working on a new album, so he's at a bit of a standstill at the moment. It's possible that the issue of a reunion was brought up again because it wouldn't be lucrative to be on one's way to managing an artist ready to go into his second 7-year seclusion so late in his career.

I'm glad someone asked what has this thread got to do with a reunion with Marr, because I was baffled by it too -
So...my understanding of the quote above is....
the management kept trying to get Morrissey to team up with Marr as it would be good for him (in more ways than one).
Morrissey got fed up of them badgering him about it. So he parts company with them.
And this sparks off rumours that he is going to join up with Marr:crazy:
Am I missing something?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

I don't understand the absolute faith people have in Johnny Marr. He just doesn't have it anymore. His work with the Cribs consists of him adding some Smithsy jangly riffs on top of already written songs. His contribution to the world of music the last ten years has been completely pointless.

It's just pure nostalgia and I think there are enough artists out there all following the nostalgia gravy train. We don't need any more, no matter how many critics might tell you different.

You don't just "lose" the talent that you have when you're a caliber guitarist as Johnny Marr, regardless if you hear it or not in his current playing. He could announce tomorrow that he would be playing in some 14 year old kid's garage band and that STILL wouldn't make him any less of a master at the instrument. His playing has just never been featured in anything as seminal as the Smiths since. I hardly think that's a reason to downplay his effect on musicians worldwide. If Jimmy Hendrix were still alive and playing with the Cribs, would you count him as a shit guitarist just because it doesn't sound like what he did before? (I'm not a Jimmy Hendrix fan, but you get the picture :guitar:)

Back
Top Bottom