Morrissey's managers

Hasn't Morrissey himself admitted that he is unmanageable? Among the most important jobs a manager has is to either coerce the artist to do things s/he doesn't want to do which might be good for the career or prevent her/him from doing other things that might damage the career. And we all know how Morrissey reacts to such advice. Plus when he doesn't get the things he craves -- like high chart positions -- he tends to blame the manager and fire him/her, even though he himself has made that impossible by doing stupid things or not doing promotion or whatever.

So while naturally there might have been unprofessional managers, saying that most of them have failed him is really beside the point. It's just an impossible equation for Morrissey to have a manager who has the power to influence the artist's decisions like an effective manager should.

Yes and no.

They tried they failed. It doesn’t matter how ‘impossible’ Morrissey is, it would take a genius manager to manage a genius artist like Morrissey. And he has yet to work with one, that is all.

I'm curious regarding to do with this issue of cost. Or to put it in another way, how much does a manager demand to be payed? I guess it varies a great deal, and is possibly tied up to performance regarding to do with things like getting a record contract, chart positions etc. giving a bonus for the manager or something. Anybody knows...

And we know it can be difficult 'behind the scenes' when we reflect back on this e-letter written 16 years ago (even Morrissey has admitted that "yes, I know I can be difficult"):

Reply-To:
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:57:56 -0400
To: Merck Mercuriadis
hello Merck
I'm printing this on Eddie's pc - mine's still a mess.
Hope you are well.
1/I'm satisfied with the Daily Mail reply - given their nature I think it's a success, and I wasn't looking for an Apology, but a Correction.
2/The situation with "the Youngest" is grave and somewhat deadly. It has set a new low for all of our spirits. The single was launched and then received by the media like a release from a complete nobody. I am less than nothing. This is appalling given the combined efforts of:
A-30 date sell-out UK tour, B-on the heels of a #1 album, C-powerful B-side package, D-great video, E-great sleeve artwork, F-Jonathan Ross and Jools Holland shows, G-enormous tabloid coverage of my animal rights comments, H-week of NME Smiths cover (my face foremost) ;
but the welcome is censorian. It is a flop.
As far as airplay is concerned, it was classically ignored. Also, no national airplay throughout 30-date tour, and no airplay for the #1 album. CJ and Tony are absolute rubbish. The excuse of the football songs is the same as the excuse for You Have Killed Me and Irish Blood - all halted by gimmick releases, yet no one is affected except me - Keane storm on, etc.
By common consent, Sanctuary has stalled and have no muscle. This is what I am told and this is what I see. Jennifer says The Youngest suffered because "certain people would not spend digital dosh"; Jennifer put the single back one week and then left the country for that week of release. I ask Toby H three times for a list of possible Euro TV shows and, two months down the line, still no list. Ringleader zooms from #1 becoming the fastest fall from the top 100 in pop history.
In truth, the Youngest is an unavoidable #1 single - as was You Have Killed Me. By my very presence alone (music apart), my time is Now. The band are flying high. Where the BBC and radio 1 and the press are concerned, Jennifer and CJ are afraid to even whisper.
I understand that your instinct is to flee from the scene of the carnage and move on quickly. but "the Youngest" is a dream of a gift for any label, and if you can't make this fly then I can't see how you can do it with anything else.
The disaster of "the Youngest" is Sanctuary's 2nd major failure - the first being releasing Quarry on day 2 of a 7 days sales week, thus no #1 position.
Meanwhile, Jed continues to have the time of his life - at my expense - but also, at yours.
Merck, the fate of "the Youngest" is appalling. Sanctuary have blown the whistle on themselves and there is no excuse.
MORRISSEY.
E. Mendoza
Security Director, Morrissey
+1 310 497 5498 Blackberry
+44 (0) 792 023 8631 UK Mobile
+1 801 439 6359 efax

In terms of collaborative execution and from the perspective of negotiating and securing exclusively best-interest only engagements of the most advantageous profit and highest reputational and artistic caliber, I 100% could have successfully done it. But I’m in a different biz!

And we know it can be difficult 'behind the scenes' when we reflect back on this e-letter written 16 years ago (even Morrissey has admitted that "yes, I know I can be difficult"):

Reply-To:
hello Merck
Hope you are well.
1/I'm satisfied with the Daily Mail reply - given their nature I think it's a success, and I wasn't looking for an Apology, but a Correction.
2/The situation with "the Youngest" is grave and somewhat deadly. It has set a new low for all of our spirits. The single was launched and then received by the media like a release from a complete nobody. I am less than nothing. This is appalling given the combined efforts of:
A-30 date sell-out UK tour, B-on the heels of a #1 album, C-powerful B-side package, D-great video, E-great sleeve artwork, F-Jonathan Ross and Jools Holland shows, G-enormous tabloid coverage of my animal rights comments, H-week of NME Smiths cover (my face foremost) ;
As far as airplay is concerned, it was classically ignored. Also, no national airplay throughout 30-date tour, and no airplay for the #1 album. CJ and Tony are absolute rubbish. The excuse of the football songs is the same as the excuse for You Have Killed Me and Irish Blood - all halted by gimmick releases, yet no one is affected except me - Keane storm on, etc.
By common consent, Sanctuary has stalled and have no muscle. This is what I am told and this is what I see. Jennifer says The Youngest suffered because "certain people would not spend digital dosh"; Jennifer put the single back one week and then left the country for that week of release. I ask Toby H three times for a list of possible Euro TV shows and, two months down the line, still no list. Ringleader zooms from #1 becoming the fastest fall from the top 100 in pop history.
In truth, the Youngest is an unavoidable #1 single - as was You Have Killed Me. By my very presence alone (music apart), my time is Now. The band are flying high. Where the BBC and radio 1 and the press are concerned, Jennifer and CJ are afraid to even whisper.
I understand that your instinct is to flee from the scene of the carnage and move on quickly. but "the Youngest" is a dream of a gift for any label, and if you can't make this fly then I can't see how you can do it with anything else.
The disaster of "the Youngest" is Sanctuary's 2nd major failure - the first being releasing Quarry on day 2 of a 7 days sales week, thus no #1 position.
Meanwhile, Jed continues to have the time of his life - at my expense - but also, at yours.
Merck, the fate of "the Youngest" is appalling. Sanctuary have blown the whistle on themselves and there is no excuse.
MORRISSEY.
E. Mendoza
+1 801 439 6359 efax

Oh dear, delusions of grandeur. No thought or doubt that Youngest was a poor song. It seems he is still like this re: Veronica.

Yes and no.

They tried they failed. It doesn’t matter how ‘impossible’ Morrissey is, it would take a genius manager to manage a genius artist like Morrissey. And he has yet to work with one, that is all.
A genius artist can also be an idiot, who might not be able to work with a genius manager if he ever met one.

Reply-To:
hello Merck
Hope you are well.
MORRISSEY.
E. Mendoza
+1 801 439 6359 efax
I remember thinking that this email couldn't possibly be real, it was just so embarrassing. "By my very presence alone, my time is now" - mortifying, I bet that had the Sanctuary bosses crying with laughter. When BOT finally comes out, it will be the same situation for Capitol and they must know it.

I remember thinking that this email couldn't possibly be real, it was just so embarrassing. "By my very presence alone, my time is now" - mortifying, I bet that had the Sanctuary bosses crying with laughter. When BOT finally comes out, it will be the same situation for Capitol and they must know it.
I have worked with one or two authors like this, in my job, and literally everybody in the company is like "Please can we never work with this person again, no matter how many copies they sell?" Absolute nightmare.

I still love Moz, though.

This is fun! So far we have:
- Joe Moss
- Ken Friedman
- Murray Chalmers
2004-2008: Merck Mercuriadis (there was also a woman named Sarah (or Jennifer) I think? She was present during the Russel Brand radio show)
2008: Irving Azoff
2008: ie:music
2011: Ron Lafitte
2012: no manager, but tour-manager Donnie Knutson to be addressed regarding the manager issue or the recording deal issue as per TTY post of 4th March 2012)
- William Morris Agency
2017-2021: Peter Katsis
2021-: Quest Management

Does anybody know how much management costs per year?
Im impressed
His mum was kinda of a manager in her own way. lol

I have worked with one or two authors like this, in my job, and literally everybody in the company is like "Please can we never work with this person again, no matter how many copies they sell?" Absolute nightmare.

I still love Moz, though.
I know a few people in law firms, who work with record companies, and the stories and files they have on M are mind-blowing.
The sad part is lots of people start off being real big M fans and long to make him happy, by the time they have stopped working with him, they have no respect whatsoever.
Its sad really but funny AF

Last edited:
Has nyone got anymore of these, i forgot all about this

Hasn't Morrissey himself admitted that he is unmanageable? Among the most important jobs a manager has is to either coerce the artist to do things s/he doesn't want to do which might be good for the career or prevent her/him from doing other things that might damage the career. And we all know how Morrissey reacts to such advice. Plus when he doesn't get the things he craves -- like high chart positions -- he tends to blame the manager and fire him/her, even though he himself has made that impossible by doing stupid things or not doing promotion or whatever.

So while naturally there might have been unprofessional managers, saying that most of them have failed him is really beside the point. It's just an impossible equation for Morrissey to have a manager who has the power to influence the artist's decisions like an effective manager should.
I agree with what you say. The thing is the way M tells it, its because he is so independent and so on. In reality, nobody cares about that, Most just find him too "mad" and "insane"
The constant need to pass the blame is really strong in him.

But on the other hand the turns of phrase are so Morrissey, that it must be real. That "Hope you are well" in the beginning really cracks me up.

But on the other hand the turns of phrase are so Morrissey, that it must be real. That "Hope you are well" in the beginning really cracks me up.

How sad it is that an artist is reduced to playing the game, here having to convince the very label that he’s on that he is the genuine article and worth believing in and promoting.

Well he signed up for it and continues to, so he’s not free of blame. I guess he still can’t let go of the dream that one day a record company will wake up and see what he’s worth and actually get behind him.

How sad it is that an artist is reduced to playing the game, here having to convince the very label that he’s on that he is the genuine article and worth believing in and promoting.

Well he signed up for it and continues to, so he’s not free of blame. I guess he still can’t let go of the dream that one day a record company will wake up and see what he’s worth and actually get behind him.
But if the managers had failed as you say, what would have qualified as success? In 2006 Morrissey had just had a #1 album and a #3 single plus many magazine covers and some of the best reviews of his career. It could be said that the manager and the label had done their job pretty well, but the album itself just wasn't good enough to continue the success of Quarry and the lead single. No matter what Morrissey thinks, Youngest is not Everyday Is Like Sunday or First of the Gang -- when was the last time he even played it live? It seems that no amount of success is ever enough for Morrissey, it only makes him crave for more success. And since he is definitely an acquired taste both as a person and an artist, the potential for success is not unlimited.

But if the managers had failed as you say, what would have qualified as success? In 2006 Morrissey had just had a #1 album and a #3 single plus many magazine covers and some of the best reviews of his career. It could be said that the manager and the label had done their job pretty well, but the album itself just wasn't good enough to continue the success of Quarry and the lead single. No matter what Morrissey thinks, Youngest is not Everyday Is Like Sunday or First of the Gang -- when was the last time he even played it live? It seems that no amount of success is ever enough for Morrissey, it only makes him crave for more success. And since he is definitely an acquired taste both as a person and an artist, the potential for success is not unlimited.

I hear what you’re saying, and agree on some points, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I think there’s more in that email than the way it could be read as ‘just Morrissey demanding undeserved success’.

Also, and I could be wrong, but when one hears all the crap on the radio over the years, it’s difficult not to believe that if enough money is put behind an act then the record has a better chance of success.

I hear what you’re saying, and agree on some points, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I think there’s more in that email than the way it could be read as ‘just Morrissey demanding undeserved success’.

Also, and I could be wrong, but when one hears all the crap on the radio over the years, it’s difficult not to believe that if enough money is put behind an act then the record has a better chance of success.
That can be construed as another contradiction. I have no idea how the UK radio worked in 2006, but if the stations were putting artists on their playlists for money, then Morrissey can be seen here demanding that the label should pay for his airplay too. Which would make him just another artist bought and sold for money, no better than the ones he and you see as "crap".

Plus basically any radio that doesn't play the music their listeners want to hear can't be succesful for so long. So if Morrissey has had no airplay for Youngest as he claims, perhaps radio listeners just don't want to hear him or at least his newest single.

That can be construed as another contradiction. I have no idea how the UK radio worked in 2006, but if the stations were putting artists on their playlists for money, then Morrissey can be seen here demanding that the label should pay for his airplay too. Which would make him just another artist bought and sold for money, no better than the ones he and you see as "crap".
I think it’s fair for an artist to ask of it’s label
the same attention and promotion that other musical acts get. It is simply asking for the same chance, and that chance costs big money.
Plus basically any radio that doesn't play the music their listeners want to hear can't be succesful for so long. So if Morrissey has had no airplay for Youngest as he claims, perhaps radio listeners just don't want to hear him or at least his newest single.

But I know that you would like me
If only you could see me
If only you could …
.’

hear me.

Back
Top Bottom