Morrisseys Worst Lyrics...

"America Is Not the World?" I still don't get this song's purpose on earth.

It's so infantile and so wildly cringe-invoking that I am beginning to suspect that it's a joke that only Morrissey gets. I could pull some "poetic form follows function" crap and argue that he's mocking what he sees as the infantility of America? But no. Can't do it, I see no depth here.

But there's got to be irony. After all: "America, your head is too big?" Sung by Morrissey, whose own cephalic appendage is notorious for its substantial nature? And then he slams on poor America's weight in the next breath. No insult intended to the man's appearance -I think he's reasonably good-looking regardless of shirt or hat size- but he's decided awfully specifically to pick on his own deviations from conventional beauty.
The part about his head made me laugh, because it is true. The first thing I thought when I saw him live for the first time was 'he really has a big head' :D

But why do some people go on about Morrissey's weight? I don't get it. It's just like people going on about him being so skinny ("emaciated") in the 80s :confused: I look at the old photos and videos and I don't see it. He was never that skinny - certainly not 'emaciated'. Even when he was rather skinny (in 1983, 1984) he was well built and he didn't really look frail. (Have you ever seen some really emaciated men?!) And from 1985 he filled out - I watch the 1985 Madrid concert or the interview for Spanish TV, and I see a strong, quite broad-shouldered, reasonably muscular young man. (Even though it might partly be because he's sitting/standing next to a small guy like Marr. ) It's even more so in 1986 and 1987. As Tony Parsons said, "he didn't look frail at all, he looked tall, even beefy - more young Albert Finney than old Kenneth Williams". So there was no need for all those journalists to be so surprised how come he became so muscular in the 90s.

And now he's - a big, strong middle-aged man, not perfectly fit - he has a bit of a belly - but it's not that big, and it matters less anyway because he is well-built. Yet people go on about him being overweight? Again - haven't you seen people who are actually overweight? Do you know what an average person looks like - of any age, and especially what most men in their late 40s look like?

Last edited:
I don't like At Last I Am Born

But that's my ex's favourite, and I think that maybe I just connect it with him :rolleyes:

I have forgiven you Jesus

I cringe at the line
'through hail and snow
I'd go, just to moon you'

what is that all about?
The Goat

Re: I have forgiven you Jesus

I cringe at the line
'through hail and snow
I'd go, just to moon you'

what is that all about?
The Goat

I love that line - "juust tuh moon yer" :D

Morrissey knows how to talk proper.

But there's got to be irony. After all: "America, your head is too big?" Sung by Morrissey, whose own cephalic appendage is notorious for its substantial nature? And then he slams on poor America's weight in the next breath.

:rolleyes:

He's nearly 50, you moron.

And your pomposity makes me want to administer two good slaps.

The part about his head made me laugh, because it is true. The first thing I thought when I saw him live for the first time was 'he really has a big head' :D

But why do some people go on about Morrissey's weight? I don't get it. It's just like people going on about him being so skinny ("emaciated") in the 80s :confused: I look at the old photos and videos and I don't see it. He was never that skinny - certainly not 'emaciated'. Even when he was rather skinny (in 1983, 1984) he was well built and he didn't really look frail. (Have you ever seen some really emaciated men?!) And from 1985 he filled out - I watch the 1985 Madrid concert or the interview for Spanish TV, and I see a strong, quite broad-shouldered, reasonably muscular young man. (Even though it might partly be because he's sitting/standing next to a small guy like Marr. ) It's even more so in 1986 and 1987. As Tony Parsons said, "he didn't look frail at all, he looked tall, even beefy - more young Albert Finney than old Kenneth Williams". So there was no need for all those journalists to be so surprised how come he became so muscular in the 90s.

And now he's - a big, strong middle-aged man, not perfectly fit - he has a bit of a belly - but it's not that big, and it matters less anyway because he is well-built. Yet people go on about him being overweight? Again - haven't you seen people who are actually overweight? Do you know what an average person looks like - of any age, and especially what most men in their late 40s look like?
So true. I never got the physically wimpy thing at all. I think people make associations with things. They assume because someone is into flowers and poetry that makes them a wimp so they must be physically frail. It's unconscious stereotyping. If you are this, then you must be that.

Now he's made a return (to some people) it's a shock to them to see the reality of a physically strong middle aged man. All they remember is their false memory of someone who was stick thin, so in contrast he is now fat.

Id say most of the song Maladjusted.

Dirge is the best word I think!

"America Is Not the World?" I still don't get this song's purpose on earth.

It's so infantile and so wildly cringe-invoking that I am beginning to suspect that it's a joke that only Morrissey gets. I could pull some "poetic form follows function" crap and argue that he's mocking what he sees as the infantility of America? But no. Can't do it, I see no depth here.

But there's got to be irony. After all: "America, your head is too big?" Sung by Morrissey, whose own cephalic appendage is notorious for its substantial nature? And then he slams on poor America's weight in the next breath. No insult intended to the man's appearance -I think he's reasonably good-looking regardless of shirt or hat size- but he's decided awfully specifically to pick on his own deviations from conventional beauty. I'm surprised he never got around to "America, your relationship with publicity is complex and problematic," or "America, you just don't get along with drummers, do you? Is it because you yourself play the drums? Does the situation arouse ancient territorial instincts, those that say 'yes, but there can only really be one?' Drummer? Per band? America?" *

What is the joke?

What-is-the-joke?

I have no idea. Yes, definitely, I can generally see some point in a lot of this stuff -like, I'm a pro "head on the bar" partisan to the core- but this song. I mean, explain. Is it just a bit of Morrissey obstinacy? "I want you all to like me, but I also take great joy in disturbing people. What's art without songs about fast food? Or ball-wiping? Or threats to kill your children? I think this stuff's hilarious. You don't, your problem."

*Excluding the world of "medium metal," a term which I love Morrissey for coining; I would so listen to medium metal, I imagine it involves caterwauling and a bowed double bass
Spot the Yank ;)

I love that song :D And it was the lyrics that made me listen to it again and again.
Ach, never got that one really. The lyrics have no zest and the music is flat for me. Pretty tuneless to my ears, just seems like he couldnt bothered to try to make the music fit the words!

King Leer however, which has taken a bit of a panning on here, I do like! Funny song I think.

I will be
In the bar
With my head
On the bar

I thought that was just stupid, like he couldn't make up something better (which is probably true) apart from that line, the lyrics in this song are all great.

I will be
In the bar
With my head
On the bar

I thought that was just stupid, like he couldn't make up something better (which is probably true) apart from that line, the lyrics in this song are all great.

Maybe he was trying to emphasize the fact he was not only in a bar but he was stone drunk, passed out on the bar.. ( for lack of better words.. he might have been placing, needed lyrics) but who knows..

Believe it or not, I thought about that already. I think he should've come up with a better metaphor that that ;-)

I never really see Morrissey as a metaphorical writer, and he's all the better for it in my opinion.

Roy's Keen.

The pun is about as funny and clever as something you would find on a birthday card in a department store. And a song about a football player? That's really beneath Moz. Sportsmen are all asses and Morrissey certainly isn't a satellite to any of them. Rhyming "satellite" with "set alight" is nice, though.

I agree...

"We've never seen a keener window-cleaner"

????

i don't like these lyrics:
I see the world
It makes me puke

To me you are a work of art

it's just too simple

Couldn't agree more, it's something old fat Britney could have written. Surpirised he didn't realease it as a single, 12 year wannabe emo would love it.

No just no...roy's keen's great....mozz like sportsmen, boxers and hooligans...argh.

i don't like these lyrics:
I see the world
It makes me puke

To me you are a work of art

it's just too simple

Well I don't much like those lyrics either..but at least he didn't say I see the world and it makes me sick.. I think that would have been dumber.. I like the bluntness of I see the world and it makes me puke, because It has a little truth in it but not completly hitting the nail on the head, I doubt he actully vomits..

Even though I've always quite liked it, America Is Not The World will forever be blemished by the sub-par lyrics. I never know whether to laugh at them or shake my head in disbelief!

Back
Top Bottom