Moz's aging

knight123

Is it just me or was there a sudden moment when Moz suddenly stopped looking like the youthful, hyperactive singer we once knew and suddenly seemingly aged by about 20 years. Seriously, compare Moz on the maladjusted cover with Moz on the You are the quarry cover.

of course he's aging, since he's almost 50 years old now... on photographs now there's a certain tranquility, even aging fits him! (btw, you see that too in shows - e.g. he doesn't jump around like that, and the band has become calmer too)

You and I are thinking the same thing. People are going to argue that he is still good looking and that he is expected to age, after all, he is nearing 50. But your point, and my point is that his aging mechanism came from behind and kicked him in the ass around '99-2000. During the Maladjusted time, he cut his hair short which made him look 'different'. Then during the Oye tour, he stopped getting his hair faded in the back and sides. Then during the Quarry tour, he started getting some serious bags, not dark circles, under his eyes. You can see this on his Manchester DVD when he tells the audience, "No, the New York Dolls were not in the '80's."

Anyways, what it comes down to is that he is aging gracefully, which can only mean that I, too, am getting old :( . How many of us can actually remember buying Bona Drag or Kill Uncle upon release?

ALSO!!!!...besides myself, how many of you feel silly attending these Moz conventions and tribute shows realizing that you are in your 30's and still teeny-bopping around with kids in their early 20's?

Yeah, I know what you mean, knight - but, in my view, that seems to happen to absolutely everybody right around age 45. In past generations, with poorer diets and health standards etc, it was much younger... nowadays it seems to happen at about 45. I feel like everybody appears to age 20 years around that point. Michael Stipe would be another big example.

xo, math+

Maybe someone should assemble a gif featuring pics of Moz over the last 20-odd years to illustrate the point. :)

Oooh Oooh Oooh Oooh !!!

I just remembered something: I went to the movies this weekend and saw Friends With Money and couldn't believe how OLD Joan Cusack (forgive my spelling) looked. My God, she looked bad!

So, Math+, I think you are correct in your rule of thumb...45 is sort of the correct age for , well, aging.

Cheers.

I understand what you mean. He has definitely aged, but I think that for 47, he looks pretty good, and he's pretty fit too. The man is still damned handsome. (Second time I've posted this today!)

knight123 said:
Is it just me or was there a sudden moment when Moz suddenly stopped looking like the youthful, hyperactive singer we once knew and suddenly seemingly aged by about 20 years. Seriously, compare Moz on the maladjusted cover with Moz on the You are the quarry cover.

i just assumed it's from all the sun he got when he moved to LA back in 97...having lived all his life before that in a more seasonal and overcast climate, he probably didn't even know the importance of sunscreen.. Just look at the difference in his facial color--from pale to tan. My guess is that, despite the fact that getting older causes signs of aging (duh), his exposure to the LA sun probably helped him along rather quickly and suddenly.

But he still looks good. recently lost some weight it appears. he should really avoid those carbs and sugers.

Hepziah said:
Honestly....for me...he looks now more interessting and a lot more sexier than he ever did! But maybe I'm just a weird and mad person!

i think he was at his sexiest between say 1992-1997...basically his 30s were the finest.

The smith years was to skinny and weak.

Yeah, it seems like he became very buff around '91. Now he still looks big, but he's more classy.

Hepziah said:
Honestly....for me...he looks now more interessting and a lot more sexier than he ever did! But maybe I'm just a weird and mad person!
No, I heard that a lot from different people. :)

I also believe those were his best years. With The Smiths, he was so fragile-looking. During Your Arsenal (Live in Dallas) he had some muscles going for him. He lookes awesome in the November video...i think that was his pinnacle. He was particularly photogenic in those years. Now, he's filling in the role of the elegant crooner, a la Frank Sinatra.

just my thoughts.

knight123 said:
compare Moz on the maladjusted cover with Moz on the You are the quarry cover.

Well you are talking about a 7 year gap ;)

One of the reasons I am proud to be a Morrissey fan is the way he has decided to age. Compare his attitude to contemporaries like Madonna and Duran Duran, and George Michael. How embarrassing to be fans of theirs with their desperate need to look young.

Morrissey looks so classy in comparison. But then, he always was.

the man has aged gracefully. i appreaciate the fact that he isn't concerned about his aging, trying to appear younger or anything. i just think moz is a youthful person at heart. he's not like the others... like Danny said, look at someone like madonna. it's akward for a young person these days to claim themselves as a fan of hers but it's not the same for mozzer. it's almost that "you don't get older, you get better" deal.

Puddle said:
i think he was at his sexiest between say 1992-1997...basically his 30s were the finest.

He did look incredibly sexy back then, I agree. Especially around the Your Arsenal period.

Morrissey looks better than any 47 year old I've ever seen and an awful lot better than a lot of men half his age. Just look around you.

He's getting old.

It's the job of an artist to explore every aspect of life, including ageing and death.

It's the job of the popstar to pretend those two things don't exist.

Denia said:
i just think moz is a youthful person at heart.

Yes I agree but on the other hand I think he feels more at ease in his own skin now as his biology is finally catching up with his mentality.

Back
Top Bottom