Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

But how is it incorrect? "Myself" is a contraction of "my self." The self performs the action. The project was completed by my (intern, self, cousin, whatever).
Yes, if you were to say 'my own self' it would surely be correct? So why would eliminating 'own' make it incorrect?

You’ve done this a couple of times. The words me and myself aren’t interchangeable.
A lot of silly people think myself is some kind of formal version of me.
You're actually incorrect...in your haste to make a point (or score a point), you failed to notice that the poster had referred to himself initially, thus making himself (I) the 'subject'. The only grammatical error made was in using 'IRRC' (sic) instead of IIRC, so suspect a typing error, which should have been obvious to the reader. Therefore, the writer can correctly place 'myself' at the end of his statement.

The general rule is, you should only use “myself” if you’ve already used “I” in the sentence, therefore making yourself the subject...which the poster had, albeit in the abbreviated (& erroneous) form 'IRRC' (sic).

Now back to school with you, Pike, and preferably one that teaches English!

People, glass houses, et al.

The general rule is, you should only use “myself” if you’ve already used “I” in the sentence, therefore making yourself the subject...which the poster had, albeit in the abbreviated (& erroneous) form 'IRRC' (sic).

Just to make this even more pedantic: isn't the subject of the sentence "the A-Z project"? "IIRC," I think, is a prepositional aside.

Just to make this even more pedantic: isn't the subject of the sentence "the A-Z project"? "IIRC," I think, is a prepositional aside.
You're correct. If he had said, "I had to finish the A-Z myself" that would be correct. But "the a-z had to be finished by myself" is just incorrect.

You're actually incorrect...in your haste to make a point (or score a point), you failed to notice that the poster had referred to himself initially, thus making himself (I) the 'subject'. The only grammatical error made was in using 'IRRC' (sic) instead of IIRC, so suspect a typing error, which should have been obvious to the reader. Therefore, the writer can correctly place 'myself' at the end of his statement.
No. You're wrong.

You're correct. If he had said, "I had to finish the A-Z myself" that would be correct. But "the a-z had to be finished by myself" is just incorrect.

I still don't think it's incorrect, though. It's just unconventional. Grammatically it works, whether it's "my monkey" or "myself." The thing completing the action belongs to FWD.

I still don't think it's incorrect, though. It's just unconventional. Grammatically it works, whether it's "my monkey" or "myself." The thing completing the action belongs to FWD.
Why not just say 'me', then? That was my original point - myself and me are not interchangeable.

When I trained to be a voluntary support worker in adult literacy and numeracy there was an idea that if words were used in a way whereby others could understand the meaning, then it was at some level correct! We use words to communicate and so if someone understands the message then job done. And the same was said on a proof reading and copy editing course. Hence the dropping of apostrophes in the names of well known shops. Just saying. Can't decide, personally.

Why not just say 'me', then? That was my original point - myself and me are not interchangeable.

In this instance, they are interchangeable. They both work with no grammatical error. If a stylistic preference becomes the standard, that's fine, but ultimately it's still just a stylistic preference.

Subject pronoun.

But the verb tense doesn't agree. The sentence structure and verb tense makes "the A-Z project" the subject. If FWD was the subject, then it would be, "I completed the A-Z project by myself."

"IIRC" is just a conditional. It doesn't make him the subject. If his memory is faulty, it could mean that the project was not completed, or someone else completed it, or someone helped him.

But the verb tense doesn't agree. The sentence structure and verb tense makes "the A-Z project" the subject. If FWD was the subject, then it would be, "I completed the A-Z project by myself."

"IIRC" is just a conditional. It doesn't make him the subject. If his memory is faulty, it could mean that the project was not completed, or someone else completed it, or someone helped him.
Samantha my dear. THIS IS LAME.
Just stop, please just stop.

Samantha my dear. THIS IS LAME.
Just stop, please just stop.

No one is forcing you to read it, Carlislebaz. Or, I don't know, maybe they are. Is rifke over there, and are you in your gimp suit?

"Read Audrey's boring posts, you little bitch!"
"Please, Mistress, no."
"Suffer."

Back
Top Bottom