Overpriced Items

I don't think the plastic case is official. I think that somebody got all these 7"s, put them together on this ugly package and numbered them.

Pretty much like that Morrissey singles boxset

the plastic case is 100 % official,
definitely NO bootleg!

i had that, too, but i swapped it many
years ago for other stuff.

i know only one collector who still has got it,
most of the cases were probably pulled apart,
so there are not many circulate nowadays.

Stefan R

I actually have to agree with Flax.

A distributor probably bought a load (or already had a load) of the colored 7"s and made the plastic wallet themselves.

But as to the Morrissey 13 cd single box set I'm not so sure. Those singles were out of print at the time of it's release, and some of the colors of the silkscreened discs were different than the originals. "Suedehead" for example, was a different shade of red.

I think I payed $11.99 for Kill Uncle back in 1991. At the time I was pleased with the purchase, now I think it was overpriced.

I actually have to agree with Flax.

A distributor probably bought a load (or already had a load) of the colored 7"s and made the plastic wallet themselves.

hmmm ? interesting, beau !

there is every indication that written is in english
and the records came out in germany.

and why should an anonymous (line records ?)
promote (or what ever !) the singles ?

could be really not official ...

Stefan R

Hmmmm

I think I payed $11.99 for Kill Uncle back in 1991. At the time I was pleased with the purchase, now I think it was overpriced.

How much was the average price of newly released album at that time?

I bought Viva Hate CD in 1989 £8.99 in UK.

Re: Hmmmm

How much was the average price of newly released album at that time?

I bought Viva Hate CD in 1989 £8.99 in UK.

Back then a CD was usually $14.99 to $19.99 depending on where you went. I bought my CD's at a independent shop that had great prices and many people thought were buying from the black market which was why his prices were always the lowest.

New CD's were always $10.99 to $12.99 at his store in 1991.

hmmm ? interesting, beau !

there is every indication that written is in english
and the records came out in germany.

and why should an anonymous (line records ?)
promote (or what ever !) the singles ?

could be really not official ...

Beau is right. This is like those etched wooden boxes, the HALF A PERSON and HOW SOON IS NOW sets, or the first Morrissey cd-single boxset (the purple one). The content is official, but the packaging isn't. It was still sold in regular stores though.

Stephane

If this is what I think it is, then it is way over priced: This Charming Man Test Pressing - starting price of £400, buy it now £500
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200266714279&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Valued by Record Collector - £75. Ranked 21 in the top 100 rarities.
http://uk.geocities.com/stuartincambodia/record_collector.htm

But... Record Collector describes it as a white label...and this one is green...
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=840463&postcount=86

Is it worth £400 - especially in the state it's in?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why should anyone avoid buying this record? just because I saw a deal and decided to resell it for a profit? its not like the record is fake or completely common. How many of these have you seen in the past compared to the German multi coloured smiths promo LP that just went for over a $1000.00? There were 500 of those made. I've owned two my self. Why did you not mention that auction as overpriced? people consistently pay ridiculous prices for common UK rough trade CD singles and Hand in glove portland address sleeves on a daily basis on ebay but you dont mention those on your OVERPRICED ITEMS THREAD. When ever people see things they have no knowledge of they either say its not worth the price or its fake. so if you want something bad enough you will pay. Its not a charity. after all isnt making money the whole point of ebay? Ask stefan about this record. he owns the green label and a couple of white labels. he may not agree with my price but I'm sure he will attest as to how rare the record is. like i said in the auction. if it does not sell then I'm more then happy to keep it in my collection. Do you actually put any faith in the record collector top 100 list Dave2006? any real collector knows those lists are incomplete and inaccurate.

Last edited:
Hello Glad hips

Remember, from my first post I said "If this is what I think it is, then it is way over priced"

I simply pointed out that RC valued the test pressing of this record at £75 - I also pointed out that RC mentioned that it was a white label and this one was green - so I asked the question "Is it worth £400 - esecially in the state it was in?"

Mikael kindly provided a link to eil (never known to undersell anything!) where the same record was sold recently for £85 - not another version of it, but the same record.

You are perfectly entitled to try to ask what you want for a record, any record - whether you've owned it for 30 years or 30 days - but I think that I've done (with Mikael's help) a good thing to question it...if someone is daft enought to pay £400 for this record, in such a tatty state, then good luck to you.

I've said on here before that I'm not really such an avid collector to take much interest in test pressings - I'm much more interested in the art work and different versions of it - although I'm tempted by a "Reel around the fountain" test pressing, not because of it's rarity, but because of the story behind it being pulled.

So, from the RC top 10 - I'm only interested in the Negative Hand in Glove (I have cash ready if someone wants to sell theirs ???), possibly the "Reel around the fountain" test pressing and the German multi coloured vinyl.

Beyond that I have 35 (I think) of the rest of the top 100. And I'm still picking up pieces from time to time. Yes, I understand that the RC list is incomplete - but it is a good guide and one that is used by lots of people on solo when discussing the prices paid for records.

In terms of the multi coloured German "The Smiths" - I think that they are desirable both for their rarity and because they look good - the one last week was claimed by the seller to be a rare mispress (I'm not too convinced by that description to be honest...it's certainly different from the pics posted by stefan but so is the one posted by Alan). In fact the one last wek went for a lot less than the other "mispressed" version a year or so ago - pot luck? or credit crunch? You decide.

And in terms of posting it here as overpriced - it started out low and was bid up - I was a bidder on it. There's already a thread to discuss that record so no point posting it here as well - I think I posted on there that it was too expensive for me (I went up to about £400 and it went for over £500)

So, good luck with the sale - but I suspect that you will be keeping it in your collection.

Dave

Why should anyone avoid buying this record? just because I saw a deal and decided to resell it for a profit? its not like the record is fake or completely common. How many of these have you seen in the past compared to the German multi coloured smiths promo LP that just went for over a $1000.00? There were 500 of those made. I've owned two my self. Why did you not mention that auction as overpriced? people consistently pay ridiculous prices for common UK rough trade CD singles and Hand in glove portland address sleeves on a daily basis on ebay but you dont mention those on your OVERPRICED ITEMS THREAD. When ever people see things they have no knowledge of they either say its not worth the price or its fake. so if you want something bad enough you will pay. Its not a charity. after all isnt making money the whole point of ebay? Ask stefan about this record. he owns the green label and a couple of white labels. he may not agree with my price but I'm sure he will attest as to how rare the record is. like i said in the auction. if it does not sell then I'm more then happy to keep it in my collection. Do you actually put any faith in the record collector top 100 list Dave2006? any real collector knows those lists are incomplete and inaccurate.

Last edited:
Why do you say its in a tatty state. The green labels are in mint condition. the sleeve is in near mint condition and the vinyl looks in near mint condition. the only thing that is in bad condition is the photo copy label which is the least important thing about this record. thats why i said that it could probably be easily removed. I kinda hope it does not sell actually. thats why i put the price so high. part of me wants to keep it. anyway, you have a right to your opinion. no hard feelings i hope.
Cheers

in my opinion it would be worth US $ 800, but without the
photo copy on the label.

i was thinking of buying it, because my TCM 1-sided t/p
has not the Scott Piering sticker on label and sleeve,
but the record is of course in "tatty state" and to be honest,
it seems that the paper cant be easily removed.

Stefan R

Why do you say its in a tatty state. The green labels are in mint condition. the sleeve is in near mint condition and the vinyl looks in near mint condition. the only thing that is in bad condition is the photo copy label which is the least important thing about this record. thats why i said that it could probably be easily removed. I kinda hope it does not sell actually. thats why i put the price so high. part of me wants to keep it. anyway, you have a right to your opinion. no hard feelings i hope.
Cheers

Stefan

If you want to sell me your copy of the negative hand in glove...you could easily justify buying this for $800 and a few extra copies of the multicoloured The Smiths.

Go on, you know you want to :)

Dave

in my opinion it would be worth US $ 800, but without the
photo copy on the label.

i was thinking of buying it, because my TCM 1-sided t/p
has not the Scott Piering sticker on label and sleeve,
but the record is of course in "tatty state" and to be honest,
it seems that the paper cant be easily removed.

Stefan R

I wonder whether either Stefan or Gladhips have seen the article in Record Collector on the recording of This Charming Man?
See Uncle Skinny's posting http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=92142

"Once the decision had been made to go with This Charming Man instead (of Reel around the fountain), new 7" test pressings began to appear. The rarest by far was of the rejected London version, which would have been pressed up for internal use only - renowned Smiths test-pressing expert Billy Albert believes that as few as two one-sided copies still exist, and could be worth £500 or more. Once the Manchester version was selected as the eventual A-side, it also appeared as a one-sided test pressing and is worth around £300. The only 12" test pressing to surface so far is of the New York Remix, and is also worth £300. In theory, two sided 7" test pressings and standard 12" test pressings should exist, but have yet to appear:..."​

So, does Gladhips (or anyone else know what version this one is?

If it helps; the ebay listing says "The run out numbers are as follows (A-side RT 136 A-3u-1-1-X1) (B-side FB7 X1 LPFB)"

ps Interesting to note that RC now values the TP for this record at £300 - whereas it was originally valued in 2005 at £75

Hello all
I have not played the record but based on the info provided by stefan on another post i believe its not the london version. The second side has a test tone. I can tell by the way the grooves look. I will play the record tonight to make sure. does anyone else on this forum have this record besides stefan and I? Maybe i wont sell it after all. Thank you for the link on the record collector article dave2006.

I feel like I've become an overnight expert on TCM test pressings :)

Try this from November 2006 http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=170053332559
WHEN I SAY ONE SIDED, THE B-SIDE DOES HAVE WHAT APPEARS GROOVES LIKE A RECORD BUT ARE WIDER APART, THIS IS WHATS CALLED A TONE TESTING.
WRITTEN ON LABEL RT 136A - 29 - STAMPER 26 SEP 1983 -
ON RUN OUT TO B SIDE FB 7 X 1 AND THEN UNDER IT WITH A LINE THROUGH IT LPFB
RUN OUT GROOVE A SIDE RT 136 A-2U-1-1-1

So, different run off matrix numbers to the one listed by gladhips.

But this older listing goes on to say :
THE ONE SIDED GREEN COPY OF TCM COMMANDS ALOT OF RESPECT AND IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND, YET AGAIN ANOTHER ITEM RC MISS TO INCLUDE IN THERE SO CALLED TOP 100...​

From the language used in the advert...I suspect that the seller was BFCBrian (or BrianBFC??) he is an occassional visitor to these boards - can't for the life in me remember his solo id.

i posted this a few weeks ago:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=967775&postcount=218

the record on the right is the one which is currently on ebay by Gladhips.
b-side: FB7 X1 LPFB - test tone.

in my opinion is it just as rare as the "Reel Around" testpressing. collectors
spend of course more money for the "Reel Around", because of the
story behind it.

i never have heard that a 7 "Manchester version" testpressing should exists,
i would say no.

the things written in Records Collector top 100 rarities are not the real deal,
the informations are just a compendium for collector beginners. and there are
many, many mistakes in it. for example # 21: UK 7" White Label Testpressing, value 75 UKP. such a record DOES NOT exist !

beyond that there are many very rare records missing. for example: 7" Stop Me from Germany in BLACK vinyl. its absolutely nonsens, that a 7" Stop Me
from Australia or USA should be more rare than the German in black vinyl.

thats just my opinion ...

Stefan R

I wonder whether either Stefan or Gladhips have seen the article in Record Collector on the recording of This Charming Man?
See Uncle Skinny's posting http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=92142

"Once the decision had been made to go with This Charming Man instead (of Reel around the fountain), new 7" test pressings began to appear. The rarest by far was of the rejected London version, which would have been pressed up for internal use only - renowned Smiths test-pressing expert Billy Albert believes that as few as two one-sided copies still exist, and could be worth £500 or more. Once the Manchester version was selected as the eventual A-side, it also appeared as a one-sided test pressing and is worth around £300. The only 12" test pressing to surface so far is of the New York Remix, and is also worth £300. In theory, two sided 7" test pressings and standard 12" test pressings should exist, but have yet to appear:..."​

So, does Gladhips (or anyone else know what version this one is?

If it helps; the ebay listing says "The run out numbers are as follows (A-side RT 136 A-3u-1-1-X1) (B-side FB7 X1 LPFB)"

ps Interesting to note that RC now values the TP for this record at £300 - whereas it was originally valued in 2005 at £75

Back
Top Bottom