Pep Guardiola wears The Smiths (2019)

Photo from SoccerBible article (November 2019)

full

Also from September 2019:

Last edited by a moderator:
A great manager, but not the greatest of all time.

Sir Alex was better, and Brian Clough, and Bill (Frankly Mr) Shankly…
Pep is right up there but Sir Alex was just a level above any everyone else. Never been a fan of Man Utd as that is a massive understatement but I have to acknowledge that’s Sir Alex was an amazing manager. The way he built and rebuilt teams from next to nothing to winners was genius.

Pep is right up there but Sir Alex was just a level above any everyone else. Never been a fan of Man Utd as that is a massive understatement but I have to acknowledge that’s Sir Alex was an amazing manager. The way he built and rebuilt teams from next to nothing to winners was genius.
Pep has never taken over a struggling club. Until he does he cannot be spoken of as the best of all time.

Ferguson took over a Man United side who had failed to win the title for almost 20 years. Meanwhile Liverpool were riding high.

If Pep had moved to a club like Spurs or Newcastle (pre-takeover) and won the title with them, that would have been 100 times more impressive than what he’s done with City.

I recall Mani promising that The Stone Roses would reunite if City ever won the Champions League. Whilst he was suggesting the latter was unlikely, I nevertheless hope some revival is being contemplated.
I don't see that happening... again.

Pep has never taken over a struggling club. Until he does he cannot be spoken of as the best of all time.

Ferguson took over a Man United side who had failed to win the title for almost 20 years. Meanwhile Liverpool were riding high.

If Pep had moved to a club like Spurs or Newcastle (pre-takeover) and won the title with them, that would have been 100 times more impressive than what he’s done with City.
Give him Sunderland and see how that turns out ;)

If he's due to take over a struggling club why not put him in as manager of Morrissey? A couple of his best players have left the team and he can't get signed to save his life.

Last edited:

Fergie was a footballing genius; a prophet; a soothsayer- nobody had or will ever have his footballing prowess, knowledge and vision.

Fergie was a footballing genius; a prophet; a soothsayer- nobody had or will ever have his footballing prowess, knowledge and vision.
I don't think being wrong that one time in 2009 really diminishes Ferguson's legendary standing in the game.

That was only a year after the oil takeover of City. Like many people, perhaps he believed the new owners would soon get bored and stop bankrolling them.

I don't think being wrong that one time in 2009 really diminishes Ferguson's legendary standing in the game.

That was only a year after the oil takeover of City. Like many people, perhaps he believed the new owners would soon get bored and stop bankrolling them.
Being wrong once is fine, but how beautifully wrong he was.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom