Rare Footage

http://mickey.tv/r/Video.aspx?v=joAvpOTTysg&key=The+Smiths

Found part 2. :)

Just out of interest, has anyone seen the video clip of Morrissey with 'Maggie' before?

Yes, It's from The Tube, it was shown way back in 85, during The Smiths Scottish dates. The live footage was filmed at Glasgow Barrowlands - surely the whole gig must exist somewhere? I have this on video somewhere, but haven't seen it for years. Brilliant and thank you. :D

Just out of interest, has anyone seen the video clip of Morrissey with 'Maggie' before?

yeah I saw it a few months ago on youtube and was like 'wtf?' but in a good way. :) Does anyone know why he seems to call her 'margoks'? At first I thought he was phoenetically pronouncing Margot or something.

Is there any way for an intrepid soul to smash this into one, or several, downloadable files? Asking not from greed, etc., but out of curiousity. Of course, if someone actually did it... :)

yeah I saw it a few months ago on youtube and was like 'wtf?' but in a good way. :) Does anyone know why he seems to call her 'margoks'? At first I thought he was phoenetically pronouncing Margot or something.

Who is that woman?
and is her name really "marr-got" ?

Why is he calling her "Margot" , am i missing something?

Because it sounds more... poetic than 'Margi'? :D They are walking through the moors and looking for each other, Wuthering Heights-style, you know. "Margot! Margot! "Morrissey! oh Morrissey!" :p

Am old enough to remember Margi (apparently pronounced with a hard 'g' as in, umm..'target') Clarke being quite a name in UK, around that time. She starred in 1985 film 'Letter to Brezhnev'- about two Liverpudlian gals pulling some Russian sailors- the clip of the women talking in toilet cubicle is lifted from the film. Tend to agree that he was wailing 'Margox' to be poetic..I suspect that his joy at meeting Shelagh O'Hara was quite genuine- the actress who appears in loo at end & they rush off to audition (!?). She played Karen Grant in Brookside & was something of a soapstar. But Brookside was GOOD in them days. This info may only be of interest to me & probably none of those featured in clip but just in case.

I've just watched that again and noticed that Margi mentions Jayne Casey. She says something like "Originally we didn't see you on TV, and I thought it was a change of strategy, and the way you used different (a word I didn't understand??) like Sandie Shaw, Jayne Casey..." Does anyone know what she's referring to? I'm a big fan of Jayne Casey's 80s band Pink Industry, I know they had a song about Morrissey in 1985, but did she and Moz know each other, and did they appear on TV together at some point, or what?

He's calling her Margox cos, well, that's her name (also known as Margi) :)
It's a funny clip..I don't quite get the whole bathroom scene but that's because it's hard to understand those accents :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom