rare songs

J

Joe

While searching the "It may all end tomorrow" site, I came across a number of songs supposedly written or covered by Morrissey both solo and as a Smith. Does anyone have any information about where these songs can be found on any form of media (if recordings do exist)?
The Smiths:
"I want a boyfriend for my birthday" (live) by the Cookies
"Summer Nights" by Marianne Faithfull
"The Sha La La Song" by Marianne Faithfull
Morrissey:
"Harry Rag" (live) by the Kinks
"A Girl I used to know"
"Oh Phoney"
"Striptease with a difference"
"My name is Mortimer"
"Born to Hang"
"Fantastic Bird"
"Stay as you Are"

Any info on the whereabouts of recordings of these songs would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Joe

> While searching the "It may all end tomorrow" site, I¿ came across a number of songs supposedly written or covered by¿ Morrissey both solo and as a Smith. Does anyone have any¿ information about where these songs can be found on any form of¿ media (if recordings do exist)?¿ The Smiths:¿ "I want a boyfriend for my birthday" (live) by the¿ Cookies¿ "Summer Nights" by Marianne Faithfull¿ "The Sha La La Song" by Marianne Faithfull¿ Morrissey:¿ "Harry Rag" (live) by the Kinks¿ "A Girl I used to know"¿ "Oh Phoney"¿ "Striptease with a difference"¿ "My name is Mortimer"¿ "Born to Hang"¿ "Fantastic Bird"¿ "Stay as you Are"¿ Any info on the whereabouts of recordings of these songs would¿ be greatly appreciated!¿ Thanks, Joe

i remember this one site that held a low fidelity recording of the Cookies cover...'course that site doesn't exist, so the existence of that one is possible. I don't know about the rest of those, however.

Most of the Moz Songs you look for haven't ever been recorded. There has been the following information about "unknown" songs a few months ago on this very site. If i remember right all of them are listed on a copyright list, but no song has been recorded (at least no-one has been released, but i think that EMI/Sire-Reprise would have released them along with the recent compilations. Perhaps they wait for an Anthology...):

"Oh Phoney" (Morrissey / Armstrong) 8/90
"Striptease With A Difference" (Morrissey / Langer) 5/90
"My Name Is Mortimer" (Morrissey / Street) 11/90
"Dead Took Fire" (Morrissey / Street) 5/91
"Born To Hang" (Morrissey / Nevin) 2/92
"Fantastic Bird" (Morrissey / Whyte) 6/92
"Stay As You Are" (Morrissey / Whyte) 10/93

Stefan

¿ no song has been recorded (at least no-one has been released,

Actually most if not all of these were recorded. Just never released.¿ but i think that EMI/Sire-Reprise would have released them along¿ with the recent compilations. Perhaps they wait for an¿ Anthology...):¿ "Dead Took Fire" (Morrissey / Street) 5/91

This one is "The Bed Took Fire", and it should be dated late 1988, early 1989. Morrissey and Stephen Street didn't work together after 1989.

There were other mistakes in the other titles of that list.

Stéphane

"Passions Just Like Mine"

I Know, I Know.... (& Q to Boz Boorer)

Don't mess with Stephane!

I know that there are various phonetic variations of the titles, but i was only refering to the information i took months ago from this board (i have made a hardcopy) The dates must be incorrect, as Morrissey had other writing partners at that time; i know, i know.

But: I am not sure if these songs have actually been recorded; up to now no-one could ever supply an outtake, a .wav or Mp3-file, lyrics or anything apart from the titles!

There were *rumours* when "Suedehead - The Best Of Morrissey" was released in 1997 about a single to second the Album (we all know meanwhile that apart from the "That's Entertainment / Suedehead" promo nothing saw the light of day). At one point it was said that "Everyday Is Like Sunday" should be released on two CD5, backed with unreleased Tracks. Another rumour was a limited edition of "Suedehead - The Best Of" with a bonus rarities disc.

But no titles (apart from "Striptease With A Difference") were mentioned.

I ask myself if EMI would have choosen the experimental (and obviously not finished) "Black Eyed-Susan" to back "Sunny" if they had additional material available.

"Black-Eyed Susan" was available ca. 10 months before the release of "Sunny" on the "In Person" Bootleg. If other songs were recorded, someone would know.

Mr. Boorer, as you step in here sometimes, do you know about these songs to make it clear?

Stefan

Stefan