Reason Moz is so lively on stage in the recent shows...?

King Leer

Leering since '97
Watching video clips such as this excellent one that captures "The Loop" at the Hammerstein, it seems Moz has jolted out of his more lounge-like persona and gone back to his rocking, casual, hip swaying self of the Your Arsenal era (and further back). Someone even posted a "fountain of youth" thread.

When you think back to him being carried out on stage like a corpse in London, 2002, it seems like he's got a new lease on life.

What do you think it is?:

- Casual clothes = looser stage persona

- The tour is coming to an end (?), so Moz is giving it his all

- The band has got him really pumped up lately / Combination of songs on the set list

- Kristeen is gone (sorry, just for discussion purposes)

- He's got a great record deal.

- Moz is happy about something else going on offstage...!

Watching video clips such as this excellent one that captures "The Loop" at the Hammerstein, it seems Moz has jolted out of his more lounge-like persona and gone back to his rocking, casual, hip swaying self of the Your Arsenal era (and further back). Someone even posted a "fountain of youth" thread.

When you think back to him being carried out on stage like a corpse in London, 2002, it seems like he's got a new lease on life.

What do you think it is?:

- Casual clothes = looser stage persona

- The tour is coming to an end (?), so Moz is giving it his all

- The band has got him really pumped up lately / Combination of songs on the set list

- Kristeen is gone (sorry, just for discussion purposes)

- He's got a great record deal.

- Moz is happy about something else going on offstage...!

I have my own theory, King Leer, but am not at liberty to discuss it. :p

P.S. The Loop is the most bestest excellentest live Moz song evah.

Last edited:
You forgot the "He's drunk" option. Not that I believe that, just that a number of people over the last year have asked/speculated that, alleged that his speech was slurred, etc.

Before I read the listed choices the first thing that popped into my head was "Kristeen is off the tour." I know it's made me much happier!

It's getting near the end so he doesn't have to pace himself. And having a tambourine to play with helps. It turns you into a little kid. :D

Before I read the listed choices the first thing that popped into my head was "Kristeen is off the tour." I know it's made me much happier!

Is he doing that thing where you act all happy after a breakup to prove to the person you don't need them. :p

Maybe he's in love... next thing is he'll buy a house with a white picket fence, marry somebody beautiful, and become a daddy.

Or not. Maybe he's just happy because he gets to do what he loves for a living, and sees how much his work is appreciated. Wouldn't you be happy?

Maybe he's just happy because he gets to do what he loves for a living, and sees how much his work is appreciated. Wouldn't you be happy?

I think this is VERY close to the truth. :)

When I am finally a working architect (the ultimate goal, though admittedly very far off) and I see someone truly appreciating my work, I know it's going to be a breathtaking experience. I know it's gonna happen someday...

Last edited:
Well, "The Loop" is the song that really gets him going, and it's certainly a more energetic song than almost anything else in the set. He has always rocked out to that song - I think the music just moves him, man. He should go back to the rockabilly theme - it suits him so well.

Casual clothes must certainly help with freedom of movement too. I, for one, am relieved to see him get out of those damned dress pants.

I think this is VERY close to the truth. :)

When I am finally a working architect (the ultimate goal, though admittedly very far off) and I see someone truly appreciating my work, I know it's going to be a breathtaking experience. I know it's gonna happen someday...

I love watching him on stage for this reason... he's so deeply into the music, it's just a joy to watch. I think he really loves the band lineup he has, with good reason. I'm wondering, too, if this current setlist (with variations) is his favorites.

It just makes me really happy to watch him, watching us. The thing people who aren't into Moz don't understand is how happy he makes us. And maybe we make him that happy too. Maybe he can now see all the symphonies he has played, to paraphrase.

Last edited:
Maybe in love, yes.

For your B choice, that's been true for a while, definitely during the Quarry tour, but there's something...youthful in his step on stage, his mannerisms, his gyrations, etc.

Maybe it is just the tambourine.

I don't think he's "drunk" (this is Morrissey if he was drunk onstage (and still only 42!)).

And the clip for "The Loop" was just one example, not the only one in the recent shows.

Maybe he's in love... next thing is he'll buy a house with a white picket fence, marry somebody beautiful, and become a daddy.

Or not. Maybe he's just happy because he gets to do what he loves for a living, and sees how much his work is appreciated. Wouldn't you be happy?

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot one option: He's slimmed down. He looks fighting fit! Or maybe he slimmed Because of the lively gigs.

I Can Have Both:p

I love watching him on stage for this reason... he's so deeply into the music, it's just a joy to watch. I think he really loves the band lineup he has, with good reason. I'm wondering, too, if this current setlist (with variations) is his favorites.

It just makes me really happy to watch him, watching us. The thing people who aren't into Moz don't understand is how happy he makes us. And maybe we make him that happy too. Maybe he can now see all the symphonies he has played, to paraphrase.

I think Moz said himself when asked how he chose his setlist (paraphrasing, here): "It's a very selfish decision. It's simply a question of 'what do I want to sing?'" :D

Also, I love your second paragraph. I feel the same way, and I love to see the man so happy. It makes me feel so good that he, someone who's done so much, for so many, feels happy.

I went to a few Moz gigs this summer with a longtime close friend (he even got a handshake at one gig!), and he said: "He is enjoying all of this just as much as all of you do. He is getting just as much out of it as you do." And since then, he's appreciated and 'gotten' Moz SO much more. But, I do think he's right. :)

Well, "The Loop" is the song that really gets him going, and it's certainly a more energetic song than almost anything else in the set. He has always rocked out to that song - I think the music just moves him, man. He should go back to the rockabilly theme - it suits him so well.

Casual clothes must certainly help with freedom of movement too. I, for one, am relieved to see him get out of those damned dress pants.

I wish I could see him out of those damn dress pants! Oh! Giggity Giggity! :cool:

Oh, I forgot one option: He's slimmed down. He looks fighting fit! Or maybe he slimmed Because of the lively gigs.

I believe this is the reason.Just eating healthy and loosing a few pounds always gives you more energy.

How will he vent this pent up energy once the tour is over.?.....he`s going to be all frisky and as far as i know noone to be frisky with.:p

Back
Top Bottom