Reviews of 'Years of Refusal'

Good job I didn't download these so called illegal bootlegs than isn't it?

Let's see...

Something is Squeezing My Skull was aired on Jools Holland earlier this year

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell and Arms Around Paris were debuted and played on his last tour.

All You Need Is Me and Grow Up were released as singles, AND packaged on the Greatest Hits release.

Your right, it's my fault.

So by attending a couple of gigs or however many and seeing Squeezing on TV once the 'newness' of those songs was spolit?

Idiot.

Oh, and 'so called' illegal?

Obviously your knowledge of international copyright treaties isn't as good as your amazing memory that allows you to know songs inside out by seeing them played live in concert and once on televsion.

I wouldn't call a fan's blog a review.

fair point but I think it contains some really good insight that lifts it way above the average (world wide) web log.
the boundaries between blogging and journalism are pretty hazy these days...

Wish I could give a review! Tried to download the "leaked" YOR MP3 freebie to no avail. Well I have already purchased the digital and will definitely get the hard copy when it appears on the shelves in February. Am so excited and will have just a few weeks to become one with it before I see Morrissey live for the first time on March 3rd!!!! I actually got a seat near the center floor in the second row. I am absolutely weak with anticipation. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but as for me . . . Morrissey is one of the most intersting and inspiring artists I've heard in a while. He also has a lot of minerals to make some of the choices he has made throughout his career. My hat is definitely off to hiim. Can't wait to finally get to see him in person.

NME's first thoughts on 'Years of Refusal'

"This is vintage Moz (with added distortion)."
from 'What's on the NME stereo' in today's mag...

Last edited:

Thanks Danny.
That's pretty much the first full-length review (based on repeated listenings i.e. not the playback) by a respected publication, and it's pretty positive.
It seems to me that YOR may well give Moz his best reviews since Vauxhall if this, the mini reviews, and the feedback from the fans is anything to go by. Maybe those Brit/Mercury awards won't remain elusive for too much longer!

Thanks Danny.
That's pretty much the first full-length review (based on repeated listenings i.e. not the playback) by a respected publication, and it's pretty positive.
It seems to me that YOR may well give Moz his best reviews since Vauxhall if this, the mini reviews, and the feedback from the fans is anything to go by. Maybe those Brit/Mercury awards won't remain elusive for too much longer!

I'm really astonished. To me, YOR lacks the lyrical wit and depth that his earlier work contained, but it might be that not name dropping the likes of Claude Brasseur makes these reviewers more at ease. I'm pleasantly surprised by the positive feedback (bewildered too).

Let's hope he gets his #1 album status.:)

General impression:

I must admit I was a little bit disappointed. It’s not a bad album. It’s just not, well, a great album. The real downer was that half of the songs felt old already, I mean some of them has been played live since 2007.
It doesn’t feel like an album as such. More a collection of songs. Nothing wrong with that, but I do miss the thread, the theme, the cohesiveness. Think what you will about ”Ringleader”, but it did feel like and album, a whole (something that I personally prefer).
But then again: We got to hear the album in it’s entirety only once (and I was taking notes throughout).

word.

i like YOR as well, keep on listening to songs like farewell, carol, black cloud, ok buy myself and good in your time.
i also share the opinion with the southpaw-feeling.

to me, some standout singles and album songs are missing.

but all in all YOR remains something like a good b-sides collection. (i was hoping that we would hear a whole bunch of new songs and that ones like paris, farewell, mama, etc. would appear as b-sides on upcoming singles)

Re: Magazines out now with the best reviews

Q is one and mojo, any others

Uncut

Here is a comparative "round up" (so far) of the last albuns :)

YATQ

Q 2/5

Mojo 4/5

Uncut 3/5

Spin -

ROTT

Q 3/5

Mojo 4/5

Uncut 3/5

Spin 4/5

YoR

Q 3/5