RIP Andy Rourke (May 19, 2023)

aoJ0vqTsewg8x2mWZ71sf24kVGS.jpg

Oh man, this hurts. Tweet from Johnny:

Screenshot_20230519-155603.png

Related items:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m silently crying, staring at a copy of ”Strangeways, Here We Come,” that I was fortunate enough to have him sign during his Dj set here in El Paso, Texas, in the Fall of 2011.

Shyly approaching the Dj booth with my cd and a pen in hand, he smiled and waved me up. We spoke for a few minutes before he played a Joy Division record.

He didn’t have to be so kind to me but he was.

IMG_5213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Heartbreaking to read Mike Joyce's eulogy. This must have hit him so hard. Morrissey (and, to a lesser extent, Marr) treated them both like shit, and Rourke in particular never got his due credit for the significance of his musical contributions to The Smiths. He should have been on of the most in-demand bass players in the music industry. But, heck, he has left the legacy of his work with The Smiths, so no-one can say he underachieved.

I think we're all just waiting for Central to post a YouTube clip of three siblings in Indonesia mangling "Barbarism Begins at Home" on ukuleles, as a "tribute"...

I think we're all just waiting for Central to post a YouTube clip of three siblings in Indonesia mangling "Barbarism Begins at Home" on ukuleles, as a "tribute"...
I expect a Moz masterpiece.

Only if they're wearing Morrissey T-shirts.

. He should have been on of the most in-demand bass players in the music industry. But, heck, he has left the legacy of his work with The Smiths, so no-one can say he underachieved.
He played with Sinead O’Connor, The Pretenders, Badly Drawn Boy and Dolores O'Riordan which are not bad names to be associated with.

And with Hook and Mani in Freebass too.

Don't think he underachieved after The Smiths at all.

So… that’s two surviving members of The Smiths that have made statements. How many members left to say something? Who are we missing?

I expect a Moz masterpiece.
It would be nice to see this - it would certainly humanize Morrissey in a time when he seems to be living in his own bubbled, self-centered universe - but I'm not holding my breath.

He played with Sinead O’Connor, The Pretenders, Badly Drawn Boy and Dolores O'Riordan which are not bad names to be associated with.

And with Hook and Mani in Freebass too.

Don't think he underachieved after The Smiths at all.

Aye, he could have done more perhaps but he had problems that he thankfully overcame in the end, it could have been a lot worse.

So, so sad, saw this on a news website first thing this morning and couldn't quite believe what i was reading.
Andys contribution to the Smiths was massive, just listen to those magnificent basslines over all of their output, hard, pumping basslines but also when needed, soft and gentle, a huge part of the sound to the soundtrack of my life and with Mike totally in sync they solidified Johnnys guitars and Morrisseys vocals into a fantastic sound which i doubt we will witness again.
Sleep well Andy Rourke xxx

Just wanted to say RIP Andy - it’s sickening, it's so common cancer, it's disgusting.
The man was an amazing bass player, so underrated in The Smiths.

If Morrissey posts a tribute every time an obscure Italian actress from B-movies of the 1960s dies, I am sure he will comment on Andy's passing.

RIP. The Smiths were together 40+ years ago and Andy was still in his 50s when he died, reminds you how young the band was.

It would be nice to see this - it would certainly humanize Morrissey in a time when he seems to be living in his own bubbled, self-centered universe - but I'm not holding my breath.

To be fair to Morrissey given the way their relationship ended he probably wouldn't want to stir anything up when people are feeling a bit raw. If it happens then i'd* want it to be because he really feels it strongly enough and not SER going through the motions or something.

*he's obviously free to do whatever he wants.

Back
Top Bottom