ROTT Thoughts

D

Dr. D

First of all, I love it. The nay-sayers seem to be dominating the board today so I figure I'll give my two cents in defending ROTT which I think at the moment is Moz's second best solo album for ME. I stress "ME" because what I like and want from my Mozzy will differ from say, YOU...

The cover caused great debate, I like it. Shows some humour overtly which is nice. The Grammaphon lift is also funny yet classy.

I Will See you is in my opinion as Kashmir as many have already said. It's an attention grabber, but if anyone else was singing I'd have no intrest. The music almost brings to mind, ulp, Kula Shaker a dross and terrible band. That said the outro is powerful. I think this track is going to be much better live. May be the opener of the shows?

Dear God shows the band returning the favour to Moz and out stripping him. The music is beautiful. The Morricone's work is nice, but really it's Mikey Farrell's keyboards that are the order of the day.

The single is fairly pedestrian musically and in the verses, but the chorus is ace. Catchy as hell.

The Youngest Was The Most Loved will also be a nice single, the choir are a great touch on an album awash with little things production wise that shine. Moz and Visconti should have been in cahoots ages ago.

In The Future is a slice of T-Rexy goodness. Nice chugging riff and loping bass (Gary Day is in fine form throughout much like on Quarry.) Soaring harmonies, engaging lyrics, this is prime Moz for ME.

Father didn't do it for me at first, but in paying close attention to the lyrics, I'm down with it. Story telling Moz, funny and jaunty.

Life is a Pigsty clearly the centerpiece of the album and a polarizing song. The Space Oddity references I've read a are pretty apt. I for one like the song very much, but perhaps (well for sure) he repeats the title too often. This is a bit of a departure for Moz and a good one. Alain Whyte, WELL DONE!

I'll Never Be, good, not great, no harm done, a nice album track.

On The Streets I ran, same, good, very.

To Me You Are A Work of Art is great great great. Another case where the band stretches out and plays. They really do shine here as an equal componant to "Morrissey." If this was some band debut people would be shitting themselves. Moz has set the bar so high it seems he can't please anyone anymore.

I just want to is raucous and stellar, one of the best songs. I've heard Roxy thrown around and agree. The horns at the end are top shelf. Mr. Farrell doesn't get enough credit for what he's brought to the table. This should be a single before Youngest.

At last I am born is a personal one for Moz, aa bit of a departure as we. The opposite of you knew I wouldn't last. Not my favorite, but a nice closer. Still shitting waiting for the Dolls cover too!

So as for ME, ROTT is nice, it'll be in heavy rotation and be listened to for years. I think the best he's done in terms of production and the best the band has sounded since Arsenal. I like my Moz glammy and as I read here the other day, this album is avant-glam. An avant-glam masterpiece. Give it time.

Totally agree, Dr. D. Nice review. It's a great album. Definitely in my Moz top 3. Don't understand other people's problem with it, but they're entitled to their opinion as much as we are. Great stuff. Can't wait for the gigs!

Re: It's his best album

I suspected it the first time I heard it. I now know it.

Although I have only heard the first 3 tracks and Pigsty, I think these songs are some of his best ever. I think lyrically, this is his finest hour. I hate all these people who are slating Ringleader for the hell of it - and it's not even constructive criticism.

the first 3 tracks and pigsty are very good indeed - but it's not all up to that standard.

Youngest was the most loved borders on the awful dagenham dave territory. I can't think how NME could come to the conclusion it's an 80s Morrissey solo single sound-a-like.

Ignore them. What they are trying to do is create a feeling of negativity about the album. They know a lot of people are sheep and think if they shout loud enough that it is crap everyone will agree with them. However, the album is strong enough to withstand this. It is the best collection of songs he has produced and what is more, it makes total sense as an album. Visconti has been really important. You can tell his influence throughout. I hope Morrissey makes the next album with him.

I have over the last week or so liked firstly the first half and more recently the latter half of ROTT. All in all I think it is a fine album and should play very well in concert. A very different sound to Quarry, and it might polarise the fans of that album both recent and long term but thats that. Certainly one of his best to date.

Back
Top Bottom