Rubber Ring?

M

MuteWitness616

What does the song tittle, have to do with the song.
Sorry, if I am ignorant.
But I love the song, but don't know why it has such a tittle.

Hi there, if you scroll down this thread, you'll find some earlier threads about the song which may be helpful.

Also isn't the line????????????

But did I ever tell you, by the way ?
I never did like your face

I think "Rubber Ring" is a metaphor for Morrissey, in relation to his role in the eyes of his fans.

"I'm here with the cause
I'm holding the torch
In the corner of your room
Can you hear me?"

He acts as our 'rubber ring' (lifesaver, help in times of need etc), if only for a short time while our lives stabilise:

"But don't forget the songs that made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes you're older now, and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you"

One of my favourite Smiths songs.

and did i ever tell you by the way.......:eek:

Jukebox Jury

You never had a job, because you never wanted one? :D

Oooh btw, I am doing a project in college about the Smiths and I had to do a page of references, books and so on that were relevant or related to the topic, and I cited Morrissey's Manchester with the correct author and not some person called Kevin Cummins :p

Edit: Oh god, Wiki actually has the right name now, it didn't 3 days ago!

Oooh btw, I am doing a project in college about the Smiths and I had to do a page of references, books and so on that were relevant or related to the topic, and I cited Morrissey's Manchester with the correct author and not some person called Kevin Cummins

Edit: Oh god, Wiki actually has the right name now, it didn't 3 days ago!

ha ha ha I was staying at a friends in Boston before the gig on Tuesday and this came up... so I actually changed it there and then two days ago:)
Funnily enough I actually had an email from the aforementioned Mr Cummins on the same day too - football related, not music!

Jukebox Jury

ha ha ha I was staying at a friends in Boston before the gig on Tuesday and this came up... so I actually changed it there and then two days ago:)
Funnily enough I actually had an email from the aforementioned Mr Cummins on the same day too - football related, not music!

Jukebox Jury

I see....

God, do all the Moz writers know each other? :D

I see....

God, do all the Moz writers know each other? :D

I knew him from around 1988 as we are both Man City fans and I wrote / produced a City fanzine and he contributed one or two things, all football related not music. it was quite amusing when his picture book and 'Morrissey's Manchester' came out at the same time, the MEN did a whole page on both books:)

Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury

If you have chance to see Kevin, ask him to return me £20 because he didn't send me a T-shirt in 1991 when I asked him in Tokyo. :o

I knew him from around 1988 as we are both Man City fans and I wrote for a City fanzine and he contributed one or two things, all football related not music. it was quite amusing when his picture book and 'Morrissey's Manchester' came out at the same time, the MEN did a whole page on both books:)

Jukebox Jury

Great stuff (apart from being City fans, but yeah..).

If you have chance to see Kevin, ask him to return me £20 because he didn't send me a T-shirt in 1991 when I asked him in Tokyo. :o

Nice one Kewpie.....
I saw him the other week after the Birmingham City game (shit, sounds like i'm name dropping now doesn't it), I'll mention it next time... do you think he will remember?:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom