Smiths songs Morrissey doesn't like...

I still don't get it because it's an absolutely wonderful song....

"It's impossible to answer this because I'm proud of most of them. There are only a few that make me shudder – such as "Get Off The Stage," "Journalists Who Lie," "I Don't Owe You Anything".... But most of them, I think, somehow stand the test of time. Of course, some songs are better than others...."

"It's impossible to answer this because I'm proud of most of them. There are only a few that make me shudder – such as "Get Off The Stage," "Journalists Who Lie," "I Don't Owe You Anything".... But most of them, I think, somehow stand the test of time. Of course, some songs are better than others...."

It's important to remember when Morrissey and Marr slag off some of their older material that they're often speaking as creators disappointed in the end results. From comments they've made over the years I think both were disappointed by the early songs because of the murky production, for example, so it's not necessarily clear that he thinks "I Don't Owe You Anything" is a bad song, per se, just that it turned out poorly. The other two songs he mentioned in your quote were two of the stranger, goofier, more frivolous musical arrangements in his catalogue, so perhaps he regrets only the music.

In any case Morrissey's opinions about his songs aren't to be trusted. :)

Worm, from memory, I think that quote from Moz was an answer to a question on true to you asking him which lyrics he didn't like. I may be wrong though.

Worm, from memory, I think that quote from Moz was an answer to a question on true to you asking him which lyrics he didn't like. I may be wrong though.

Maybe so with regard to that quote. I still think my main point stands. He once said The Smiths' back catalogue was like "a fish slowly dying on the harbor wall" or something along those lines. He and Marr are overly harsh about their some of their older stuff and from what I've gathered it's more a case of them not liking how the songs turned out rather than a simple "Boy, was that song a mistake!"

Just glancing through "Severed Alliance", and besides the usual disappointment with the production of The Smiths, John Porter said something interesting which maybe backs up Morrissey and Marr's self-criticisms: "The sound [on Troy Tate's mixes] was rotten. It just wasn't worth bothering about... This was no reflection on Troy Tate. The Smiths just weren't a great recording band. They were good live and had done lots of gigs, but it's always different in the studio. They were pretty green".

Last edited:

Yup. I should have included the question.

"Of all your songs, from both Smiths and solo material, which song are you most proud of lyrically?

Best wishes,

Peter Finan
Haworth, West Yorkshire, England"

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm glad to see this thread has been of some use! i was also really frustrated at the Russell Brand interview as I feel he was ever so close to revealing what songs he wasn't fond of, then in his brilliant way dodged the question.

I don't think i'd instantly hate a song he didn't like, it would just be fascinating to know. This has probably been mentioned already but in his interview with Zane Lowe in 2004 he said that his favourite Smiths record was 'Rank' - how diplomatic of him.

It's one of my faves as well that's why i remembered that he didn't like it, can't remember where i read it though.

What Danny said seems to make some sense... but a lot of Moz's songs are full of cliches :confused: -but just not one after the other like in WDDIM. But I'm still fond of it... uh huh huh oh :p

I seem to remember reading a quote from him where he said What Difference wasn't a favourite because he wrote it very quickly and it means nothing and is just a series of cliches strung together.

I'm surprised he'd dismiss "What Difference Does It Make?" like that. There are cliches in it but artistic use can be made of cliches. Whatever: the best reason to like the song has always been Johnny Marr. If anything WDDIM is an excellent example of why it is pointless to talk of lyrics without mentioning the music. Great backing music can often make cliches sound like Shakespeare, while poor backing music can make Shakespeare sound like...I dunno, Kyd. :)

thanks, Kewpie. too bad they never played "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby". Stagejumpers trying to touch Morrissey as he sings "all the love that you long for eludes you" and being manhandled by security as he sings "people are rude and cruel to you" would have been perfect. :D

ROFLMAO. Your imagination gets up to some marvellous things, Dave.

Back
Top Bottom