St. Petersburg, FL - Mahaffey Theater (Oct. 10, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Alma Matters / Girlfriend In A Coma / I Wish You Lonely / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / Speedway / Let Me Kiss You / Half A Person / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Loop / Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? / The Night Pop Dropped / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // How Soon Is Now?

Setlist courtesy of setlist.fm

Last edited:
Morriseey basically suck now which is hard for me to say. If we really wanted to call it 40 years of Morrissey, Pick one of two songs from every album and do it right. If he did that his fan would go crazy, he would make new younger fans and the venues would sell out! He would be the talk of the internet. Instead he calls it 40 years and plays same old stuff he's been playing with the addition of some sh*t no one wants to hear. I don't know any other artist that LIKES to disappoint his fans as much as Morrissey. It is weird.

Morriseey basically suck now which is hard for me to say. If we really wanted to call it 40 years of Morrissey, Pick one of two songs from every album and do it right. If he did that his fan would go crazy, he would make new younger fans and the venues would sell out! He would be the talk of the internet. Instead he calls it 40 years and plays same old stuff he's been playing with the addition of some sh*t no one wants to hear. I don't know any other artist that LIKES to disappoint his fans as much as Morrissey. It is weird.

The Cure did that with “From Here To There - From There To Here,” doing one song from each album up to present day, then doing the same thing back from present day to 1979. Something like that is what we need.

New backdrop for Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?
Waylon Jennings - 1972.
(possibly by Jim Marshall or Annie Leibovitz).

HR_WaylonJennings_0412~2.jpg

20231011_072550.jpg

(@WhiteSoxJoy via X).
FWD.

New drum head.
2nd image of George Segal in Ship Of Fools.

smog_71-11102023-0001~2.jpg

I really enjoyed tonight - the sound was way better than at Orlando and the band came across better as a result. A great night indeed.

Some of the audience need to take a hard look at themselves though.
I was on the 4th row of the balcony and f*** me..... every 2 minutes some prick would stand up and shuffle their way past everyone to go to the toilet or the bar. It was a constant stream. Can't people go 70 minutes without going for a piss or another beer?
No. And it’s rarely or ‘or’, inevitably an ‘and’—to minimise the annoyance.

Waylon was cool but I doubt if even Elvis could have rescued that song from obscurity, I'm going to assume that the Jennings family are friends of Sam's wife.

I absolutely agree

The Cure did that with “From Here To There - From There To Here,” doing one song from each album up to present day, then doing the same thing back from present day to 1979. Something like that is what we need.
Agreed. Make it fun.

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful /
[not in order]
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?
Girlfriend In A Coma
I Wish You Lonely
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Half A Person
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
Alma Matters
Jack The Ripper
[assuming no setlist.fm - collate here]
// How Soon Is Now?

Last edited:
The show was fantastic. I've seen Morrissey several times and this was his best performance by far. He sounded great, and the band was really tight. The keyboardist and female guitarist in particular were phenomenal. Easily the best sound/mix I've heard. He switched up the set from the previous shows in this tour and it flowed really well. It seemed like everyone really enjoyed the show. Closing with How Soon Is Now was a great way to end. Jack the Ripper was outstanding with the lighting and smoke effects, it really transported you.

For those criticizing the set, the last time he played St. Pete it was completely different. I appreciate that he isn't just a novelty act performing a greatest hits compilation. That said, there were enough classics to keep even the casual fans satisfied. Five Stars. Thank you, Morrissey, for a wonderful evening that I won't forget!

He’s down to his last fifty-million. He’s not going to pay the band for additional rehearsal time.

But a little perspective is due: that set-list is representative of forty years, it’s fairly solid, and in my experience most recent concert goers haven’t seen him for years—if ever.

It’s not going to generate headlines. It’s not going to raise his profile. But I don’t think it’s going to disappoint most attendees.

He was amazing the band was amazing the songs were amazing. I will forever “fight to the death” of anyone disparaging my silver fox. He is a treasure. Some faves from last night.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom