The Grave Maurice - closed down

J

Jack the Ripper

This may be of some interest...

I passed The Grave Maurice ( pub in Whitechapel featured on cover of "Under the Influence) today and noticed that it has closed down. Has been going downhill for years... it will probably be turned into a charming 99p shop like most of the other shops on Whitechapel Rd!

p.s. has anyone read the crime novel "the Long Firm" which also namechecks the Grave Maurice? It's set in 60s London and is about a gay gangster and the people who get involved with him... covers the same ground as "Vauxhall and I" era Moz and is a great page turner.

Bluenose in Librarian mode

I started to read 'The Long Firm' - by Jake Arnott. I wanted to read another book so didn't give it much of a chance. His second novel is called 'He Kills Coppers', but not sure if it a sequal to TLF. Apparently TLF was made into a TV series, so I wondered if The Grave Maurice featured in it - I never saw the series. Keep meaning to go back to The Long Firm, so will make an extra special effort now, thanks.

Is the Turk's Head still standing in Wapping? I stumbled across it by accident when loitering around the Tench Street area once. I think that had been closed down a while by the time I discovered it.

> This may be of some interest...

> I passed The Grave Maurice ( pub in Whitechapel featured on cover of
> "Under the Influence) today and noticed that it has closed down. Has
> been going downhill for years... it will probably be turned into a
> charming 99p shop like most of the other shops on Whitechapel Rd!

> p.s. has anyone read the crime novel "the Long Firm" which also
> namechecks the Grave Maurice? It's set in 60s London and is about a gay
> gangster and the people who get involved with him... covers the same
> ground as "Vauxhall and I" era Moz and is a great page turner.

Re: Bluenose in Librarian mode

> I started to read 'The Long Firm' - by Jake Arnott. I wanted to read
> another book so didn't give it much of a chance. His second novel is
> called 'He Kills Coppers', but not sure if it a sequal to TLF. Apparently
> TLF was made into a TV series, so I wondered if The Grave Maurice featured
> in it - I never saw the series. Keep meaning to go back to The Long Firm,
> so will make an extra special effort now, thanks.

> Is the Turk's Head still standing in Wapping? I stumbled across it by
> accident when loitering around the Tench Street area once. I think that
> had been closed down a while by the time I discovered it.

Interestingly (or not), I've always missed the Grave Maurice.. it's true.. I've driven past it many times completely oblivious before a passenger in the car will say, oh look there's the Grave Mausrice after I've sailed right on by.

I must get the old Kodak out before it goes. it's on the A12 isn't it.

Tench street is just about standing, let alone the Turks Head. Was there any criminal link with tench Street.. or, in true SLC style, juts a place where a photo shoot took place?

I was there the other day with my 8 year old entourage. They were like 'why take a picture here on this greay old corner'.. (pesky) kids eh!

A gig date soon.. maybe monday.. will keep you abreast.(!!)
Ruffian

Re: Bluenose in Librarian mode

> I must get the old Kodak out before it goes. it's on the A12 isn't it.

Ain't got a clue. (shameless Lurkers reference there)I'm a pedestrian, Ruff. I don't speak motorway language.

> Tench street is just about standing, let alone the Turks Head. Was there
> any criminal link with tench Street.. or, in true SLC style, juts a place
> where a photo shoot took place?

The first trip I made down there, my mate and I were stopped by two blokes in a white Transit asking if we wanted to buy an amp and a pair of speakers. Naturally, I declined. Not that I am suggesting there is anything shifty about 2 Cockney's in a white van trying to sell expensive stereo equipment, of course! However, I did find it amusing. I had to explain to my Canadian companion about the Cockney/white van stereotype.

> A gig date soon.. maybe monday.. will keep you abreast.(!!)

Will find out when the band are playing again. They're really good. Other than that, we'll have to have a jar just for the sake of it, eh?

Back
Top Bottom