The Guardian: "‘An astounding rush of real-time creativity’: 40 years of the Smiths’ Peel Sessions" by Michael Hann (May 31, 2023)

The Guardian has a new article by Michael Hann, celebrating the power of the first Smiths radio sessions.

Not everyone finds it easy to listen to the Smiths now, but those early transmissions were utterly formative for this vital new band and their enraptured fans

full

Full text below:

It’s 40 years this month since anyone bar the attenders at their handful of gigs heard the Smiths. On 13 May 1983, they released their first single, Hand in Glove, on Rough Trade. Then, on 31 May, John Peel broadcast their first session for his BBC Radio 1 show. Before the year was out, they would have recorded one more for him, as well as two for David Jensen. A total of 14 songs were broadcast, all being heard for the first time, apart from a new version of Handsome Devil, the B-side to Hand in Glove.

The Smiths’ radio sessions were as astounding a rush of real-time creativity as pop has witnessed. When they released their first album the following year, only two of its 10 tracks had not previously been recorded for Radio 1. It was those sessions that built up their following so rapidly and so rabidly.

The late David Cavanagh wrote of the sessions, in his Peel biography Good Night and Good Riddance, that they “have given the Smiths so much momentum that an album is almost superfluous. There’s no question that the momentum began with Peel. The Smiths’ universe is at odds with almost everything happening on a cultural or commercial level in Britain’s 80s, and Peel is the arbiter of taste in the alternative society.” (The truth of that was proved by the utter lack of success of another hugely idiosyncratic but gorgeously melodic provincial indie band with an eccentric singer – Peel did not care for Felt and their career went nowhere.)

I didn’t hear Hand in Glove when it was released because I wasn’t yet listening to night-time Radio 1. A few weeks later though, I was: I had noticed that there were often heavy metal bands on Top of the Pops when Peel presented it and I wondered whether he might play any of it on the radio. (I was 13 and fondly imagined that the presenters picked at least some of the acts for Top of the Pops.) He didn’t – not at that point in time, anyway – but on one of the first shows I listened to I heard a repeat of that first Smiths session. I had never heard music that sounded like that before, and I had never heard a singer whose words – in any way at all – actually reflected my life, as a bullied, lonely kid who had no idea how to navigate the world safely, let alone confidently.

Of course, countless kids around the country responded the same way as I did. I wasn’t allowed to stay up until midnight, when Peel finished, so I would go to bed and turn the light off, then plug the headphones into the radio-cassette recorder. I had a handful of C90s that I filled with Peel sessions, one finger poised over the pause button. But it was only with the Smiths’ sessions that I would diligently transcribe the lyrics when I came home from school the next day.

And the songs! Those strange and beautiful songs. Peel described them as “a band with no obvious influences whatsoever”. Well, this is true and yet it’s false. The Smiths sounded like nothing because they sounded like so much: Marr brought Motown and the Stooges and the Patti Smith Group and Bert Jansch and Buffalo Springfield and so many more things into his writing, but because the juxtapositions were so unexpected, they went unheard, and because the influences were filtered through his playing (“fractured yet fluid”, I recall Morrissey calling it in an early interview with Sounds), the Smiths sounded only like the Smiths.

Sometimes the Smiths evolved from their sessions, and sometimes they went backwards. Reel Around the Fountain was one of the latter cases. Recorded for the first Peel session, it was a grave and stately thing, with Marr’s spectral and sparse guitar-playing draped over the song like gauze. A couple of months later they recorded it for Jensen (though this version was not broadcast for two years owing to a tabloid claim that it was a paedophile anthem), and there are acoustic guitars drowning out those spidery lead lines. The following year, on their self-titled debut album, the bassline had changed and it was no longer a strange, misty message from the ether, but a wholly conventional country-pop song. Shame.

This Charming Man, recorded for the second Peel session, underwent the reverse process. Marr wrote the track specifically for the session, trying to create something reminiscent of Rough Trade labelmates Aztec Camera, but with the bass rhythm of the Supremes’ You Can’t Hurry Love (and, of course, it ended up sounding like neither). But that version of This Charming Man is an unopened flower compared to the version released as a single just a few weeks later. For the single version, producer John Porter advised them to change the rhythm from that Motown bounce to a stricter, more rigid style, which foregrounded Andy Rourke’s brilliant bassline, and to introduce the sudden pauses that give the song drama. That’s how fleet-footed the Smiths were at this point: from sketch to one of the decade’s great singles in weeks.

And there were the songs that got away – the sternly empathic This Night Has Opened My Eyes, one of Morrissey’s Shelagh Delaney homages, which was never recorded for Rough Trade. “In a river the colour of lead / Immerse the baby’s head,” he sang, prompting producer Roger Pusey to stop the session to check he wasn’t about to record a song celebrating the drowning of infants.

Each of these songs arrived a few weeks apart. The Smiths were, truly, a teenage semaphore, sending out messages of hope: you are not alone. (Morrissey later remembered how Accept Yourself, recorded for Jensen, prompted a rash of letters from fans thanking him for telling them they were fine as they were). In the conflict zone that is adolescence, the songs were comfort packages. And you could get these joys simply by tuning into Radio 1 of an evening.

I rarely listen to the Smiths these days. I know the songs too well. And too many of them have been coloured by the current views of their singer. But every so often I am taken on the time machine again. In autumn of 2021, I saw Rick Astley singing the songs of the Smiths with the Stockport band Blossoms. My friends and I had thought we would be at the centre of the demographic. In fact, we were among the older people there. The teenage semaphore never stopped communicating. The miracle of the Smiths is too profound to ever truly be overshadowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what you mean.
No one is ever sure what Karen / Malarkey means. She clings to the belief that there is some sort of homophobic / right wing conspiracy to paint Morrissey as far right. Because as we know fascists have always loved a camp, effeminate Irish immigrant with a penchant for poetry as their poster boy. She's been subdued of late. Maybe her dealer went dry, or they got her medication right. But she is clearly on the conspiracy trail tonight again.

The irony of this article is that the woke are now after John Peel for doing 'bad' stuff, rather than just saying 'bad' stuff, as with Our Moz. I think why the woke really go for Moz is because he is an apostate. He should be on 'their side' - he's gay, he's an Irish immigrant, he's anti-monarchy - but he's very clearly not. Which in their eyes is worse than being Gary Glitter.

The irony of this article is that the woke are now after John Peel for doing 'bad' stuff, rather than just saying 'bad' stuff, as with Our Moz. I think why the woke really go for Moz is because he is an apostate. He should be on 'their side' - he's gay, he's an Irish immigrant, he's anti-monarchy - but he's very clearly not. Which in their eyes is worse than being Gary Glitter.

Morrissey's politics are on the left.

Some journalists have chosen to lie about him.

As do you.

People really go for Morrissey because his actions of recent years have directly and massively contradicted the spirit of the Smiths, for which he was 97% responsible, and which was a key reason why so many were drawn to the group (and him) in the first place. The Smiths were anti-corporate, anti-meat industry, anti-royalty, and totally and utterly anti right-wing. He was Thatcher's biggest critic, reflected in the song Margaret on the Guillotine and comments such as 'the sorrow of the Brighton bombing was that Thatcher escaped unscathed'.
Morrissey promoting right wing politics would be like Jimmy Somerville promoting homophobia or Cliff Richard declaring that he's an atheist. It's not necessarily that shocking in the overall scheme of things but it's total and utter anathema to the spirit that attracted people to his world in the first place. That's why it's had such a profoundly negative impact on him, and we have two albums that seemingly no-one will release.

People really go for Morrissey because his actions of recent years have directly and massively contradicted the spirit of the Smiths, for which he was 97% responsible, and which was a key reason why so many were drawn to the group (and him) in the first place. The Smiths were anti-corporate, anti-meat industry, anti-royalty, and totally and utterly anti right-wing. He was Thatcher's biggest critic, reflected in the song Margaret on the Guillotine and comments such as 'the sorrow of the Brighton bombing was that Thatcher escaped unscathed'.
Morrissey promoting right wing politics would be like Jimmy Somerville promoting homophobia or Cliff Richard declaring that he's an atheist. It's not necessarily that shocking in the overall scheme of things but it's total and utter anathema to the spirit that attracted people to his world in the first place. That's why it's had such a profoundly negative impact on him, and we have two albums that seemingly no-one will release.

No - Mike.

The press deliberately lied about him - & I've found a huge amount of discomfort in the music press at the idea that he is actually gay & not just some asexual nerd.

A lot of people want the spirit of the Smiths to be 'definately not gay'.

standing ovation oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

The Smiths were anti-corporate, anti-meat industry, anti-royalty, and totally and utterly anti right-wing.
Moz is still all those things. Did you listen to I Bury the Living?
But maybe it's ok to be anti-woke too? Especially when the woke want to be Mary Whitehouse and get offended all the time.

No - Mike.

The press deliberately lied about him - & I've found a huge amount of discomfort in the music press at the idea that he is actually gay & not just some asexual nerd.

A lot of people want the spirit of the Smiths to be 'definately not gay'.

Take your blinders off. No one cares if an artist is gay or not. If anything, that’s a plus now, except in the Deep South of America or Uganda.

It's weird they always put in the disclaimer that Morrissey's political views make it hard for them to listen to The Smiths these days. Why do the same journo's never mention Bowie's Nazi phase or his sleeping with underage fans phase when discussing his discography?

It's weird they always put in the disclaimer that Morrissey's political views make it hard for them to listen to The Smiths these days. Why do the same journo's never mention Bowie's Nazi phase or his sleeping with underage fans phase when discussing his discography?
Because he owned it, grew, and disowned those views/actions? Just a hunch.

Ha! I mean either they've all been coloured by "the current views of the singer" or they haven't, surely?

Or maybe it's OK to still listen to songs about girls' tits, even if you think the singer might be a r****t.

And I'm amazed that the Guardian let the word "coloured" slip through their editorial net.
Songs of colour?

It's amazing to me that folks take such offense at people who write Morrissey off as someone with unfortunate views, but take no offense when Morrissey writes off reggae as "vile", the Chinese as a "subspecies" and Berlin as "the rape capital of the world". I'm still a massive fan of Moz, but I have the right to disagree with what he says. And I agree with the writer in the sense that I can no longer enjoy certain songs as much as a used to due to the stupid things that Moz has said and done. For example, I think that "The National Front Disco" is a brilliant song as long as you don't actually think that the songwriter agrees with the chorus "England for the English". It loses its power as art when Moz goes and supports Britain First.
The Chinese are a sub species. Do some research.
Berlin is the rape capital of the world, although some cities in England could claim that prize too.
I don't mind reggae but people are allowed to find it vile.

Berlin is the rape capital of the world, although some cities in England could claim that prize too.
Hold on! The Chinese are a sub species? You really typed that? You are a sick f**k and likely a loser.

Because thoughtcrime is the worst crime in the eyes of the fanatic. Nothing is worse: sexual abuse, violence against women, even murder. All of that can be forgotten and forgiven. Wrong thought? Now that's unforgivable.

Just see how not a negative word was said about John Peel in the article, who admitted to sleeping with numerous underage girls.

BTW no one would think they agree with Morrissey's politics if they didn't put that disclaimer there. It's not a logical conclusion at all. Fear of the mob comes into it.

Take your blinders off. No one cares if an artist is gay or not. If anything, that’s a plus now, except in the Deep South of America or Uganda.

So they keep telling me & I keep finding their homophobic articles & stories about how homophobic Indie music is.

This is from the Guardian a year after the NME's Madstock hit piece:

FIFTEEN years after Tom Robinson announced that he was 'glad to be gay', homosexuality is still a stigma in the music business. Despite the large number of gay people working behind the scenes in the industry, gay pop stars are still discouraged from being open about their sexual orientation.
Even now, just the suggestion of homosexuality is thought to have a negative impact on record sales. When, two years ago, The Face magazine published a photo of a T-shirt imprinted with Jason Donovan's face and the words 'Queer as f***', the teen idol immediately sued for libel (and won). Moreover, Tom Robinson, one of the few crusading gay stars, has taken refuge in marriage (to a woman) and fatherhood. The number of stars who are openly gay can still be counted on the fingers of one hand: Elton John, Boy George, Mark Almond, Jimmy Sommerville and kd lang. Others, such as the Pet Shop Boys and Right Said Fred, may camp it up but have never publicly announced a sexual preference. Sommerville excepted, these people, along with seventies disco preeners The Village People and the late Freddie Mercury are accepted by the business as colourful eccentrics rather than as gay men and women. They've been allowed to be homosexual as long as their benign with it.

(Caroline Sullivan, the Guardian, 17 December 1993)

I once said Reggae is vile, did I? Well, several tongue-in-cheek things were said in those days, which, when placed in cold print, lost their humorous quality. This track, along with Double Barrel and Young, Gifted and Black, were staple necessities to me. (Morrissey, Word, June 2003)

Back
Top Bottom