The Official “Twin Peaks” thread: The Return

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Yeah.

I was just remembering the Agent Cooper coke-sting set up/badge surrendering subplot too. Man.

The Return doesn’t even remotely feel like the original series in the least. I think a lot of it has to do with Frost and the studio taking a backseat to Lynch this time around which wasn’t really the case so much in the original run.

The Return doesn’t even remotely feel like the original series in the least. I think a lot of it has to do with Frost and the studio taking a backseat to Lynch this time around which wasn’t really the case so much in the original run.

No question. It's pretty common knowledge Lynch phoned it in for a lot of the 2nd season....not that his influence wasn't felt or that he wasn't involved, obviously. But even the Windom Earle character (who I liked a lot) has been chalked up by him in retrospect as "totally Mark Frost; I had nothing to do with it." But without Earle, post Leland they wouldn't have had an antagonist or even really much of a plot. And obviously there was all the little Nicky/James and Evelyn/Bobby Wheeler/Save The Pine Weasel/Ben thinks he's a Civil War general/Josie is being hunted by Eckhardt soap opera subplot nonsense which I highly doubt Lynch had much of a hand in.

(It's weird how a show that was 75% filler-bullshit for the bulk of its second season can still be so good and so buoyed and so remembered decades later because of the 25% non-crap it offered.)

Also I think Lynch's style changed a lot of over the subsequent years...or, not changed, but that the weirder instincts he had blossomed fully and eventually eclipsed any regard for story.

No question. It's pretty common knowledge Lynch phoned it in for a lot of the 2nd season....not that his influence wasn't felt or that he wasn't involved, obviously. But even the Windom Earle character (who I liked a lot) has been chalked up by him in retrospect as "totally Mark Frost; I had nothing to do with it." But without Earle, post Leland they wouldn't have had an antagonist or even really much of a plot. And obviously there was all the little Nicky/James and Evelyn/Bobby Wheeler/Save The Pine Weasel/Ben thinks he's a Civil War general/Josie is being hunted by Eckhardt soap opera subplot nonsense which I highly doubt Lynch had much of a hand in.

(It's weird how a show that was 75% filler-bullshit for the bulk of its second season can still be so good and so buoyed and so remembered decades later because of the 25% non-crap it offered.)

Also I think Lynch's style changed a lot of over the subsequent years...or, not changed, but that the weirder instincts he had blossomed fully and eventually eclipsed any regard for story.

I don’t think Lynch’s style changed at all...I think studio interference forced him to make compromises...to incorporate his ideas into a more traditional narrative. I mean, you have to consider that his first full length film was Eraserhead and nothing could ever top the weirdness of that.

AA2BE09D-6C9B-474C-8F67-A754CF2068B2.gif

This is the only thread that made me think "I ought to check that site more often."

And Twin Peaks... The Return was beautiful, exciting, frustrating, heartbreaking, and a dream I thought would never come true.

I understand that sentiment completely.

I wish things had turned out differently with Michael J. Anderson and Michael Ontkean. The show just wasn’t the same without them and, other than an ending with finality, is the only thing that kept the series from being perfect.

I don’t think Lynch’s style changed at all...I think studio interference forced him to make compromises...to incorporate his ideas into a more traditional narrative. I mean, you have to consider that his first full length film was Eraserhead and nothing could ever top the weirdness of that.

That's a totally apt rebuttal. Yeah. Eraserhead. f***.

Back
Top Bottom