The Operation (2018)

S

SOUTHPAW GEEZA

Its Southpaw Geeza back here

I might make the trek from Brum to Manchester for the shows depending on setlist (If similar to Birmingham show he can forget it) Anyway The Operation is in my opinion the greatest Morrissey song. Anyone know if there is a demo/instrumental or any covers? I am shocked that the only versions of it are the original and the shorter remix.

Anything The Operation related will please me, f***ing love that tune

I might have to start a petition to get him to perform it like at the upcoming Manchester shows

Its Southpaw Geeza back here

I might make the trek from Brum to Manchester for the shows depending on setlist (If similar to Birmingham show he can forget it) Anyway The Operation is in my opinion the greatest Morrissey song. Anyone know if there is a demo/instrumental or any covers? I am shocked that the only versions of it are the original and the shorter remix.

Anything The Operation related will please me, f***ing love that tune

I might have to start a petition to get him to perform it like at the upcoming Manchester shows
yip,nothing more to add,fantastic song.

They played a bit of the drum intro once a few gigs ago that I went to then went into a different song. I felt a bit cheated.

He could play it again. There's a line that paricularly suits the atmosphere these days

"You say pleasant things, and there is no need to." :D
#rmael #everyoneIknow.

But he could sing "what the hell have they stuck into ME" at the end, because enquiring minds want to know what happened to him for him to be so...well...not different, but...

Indifferent?

I think the only "variant" version of "The Operation" that has seen light of day is this edit*, which extracts the drum solo and the outro jam. They added some faux fade-in/hi-hat count-off and looped the first few bars to repeat. It's a proper, compact little pop song without the solo/jam.

It appears this video was posted a few years ago, but the audio has circulated since circa 2009-2011.

To my knowledge, a demo or early version of the song has never surfaced or been shared in wider fan circles. There certainly has been no "Miraval session" version with a vocal, so, perhaps like "Do Your Best And Don't Worry," it wasn't cooked up until the proper album session at Hook End in March-April 1995.

* EDIT: removed "fan-made" because I am unsure of the provenance.

Last edited:
I think the only "variant" version of "The Operation" that has seen light of day is this fan-made edit, which extracts the drum solo and the outro jam. They added some faux fade-in/hi-hat count-off and looped the first few bars to repeat. It's a proper, compact little pop song without the solo/jam.

It appears this video was posted a few years ago, but the audio has circulated since circa 2009-2011.

To my knowledge, a demo or early version of the song has never surfaced or been shared in wider fan circles. There certainly has been no "Miraval session" version with a vocal, so, perhaps like "Do Your Best And Don't Worry," it wasn't cooked up until the proper album session at Hook End in March-April 1995.

I thought that was an official radio edit? It's fan-made? In any case, it's great.

As a Southpaw sceptic, this is my favourite song on my album. If he’d lost the drum intro, he’d’ve had a 3* record on his hands.

Back
Top Bottom