The Queen is Dead - Under Review

This is actually pretty interesting..thank god they got permission to use the original music and video footage.

I have to second this, it's a great documentary. I was never a big fan of those unofficial DVDs before, but this one is great. It's like a visual mix of the best of Rogan's "The Severed Alliance" with Simon Goddard's "The Songs That Saved Your Life". Actually maybe more like a visual/audio version of the Goddard book. It makes me want to see that sort of documentary for the complete Smiths catalogue, not just the Queen Is Dead material.

Of course no one from the band is involved, but there are many interviews with Morrissey and Johnny from back then, and at least we can hear the music as it is being discussed. Anyhow I trust more Stephen Street's or Craig Gannon's recollections of what happened in the studio than I would of Morrissey's if he had been involved. Like many real artists of his stature Morrissey tends to be a revisionist of his own history. That's if he doesn't just evade subjects altogether.

I also like how the documentary sticks to the facts and doesn't feature any gossipy information.

Stephane

The main contributors to the documentary are Stephen Street, Craig Gannon, Johnny Rogan, Grant Showbiz, an NME writer and someone from Guitar World magazine. I held my breath at the beginning when all I saw were pictures and some generic music that Gannon composed to be Queen is Dead like but about six or seven minutes in you actually get to hear the songs they were discussing along with live videos instead of poorly attempted reproductions.

The director also intersperse clips of films that inspired Moz's writings (Billy Liar, A Taste of Honey, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning etc). The time period the documentary encapsulated for the most part is the release of the Shakespeare’s Sister to the Panic single after TQID. I agree that it is pretty much a visual documentary of Songs that Saved your life or Johnny Rogan's book titled Morrissey-The Albums.

Just watched it. It is way better than any of the recent documentaries, including the Mike & Andy one. I love the video they put together for Some Girls... Wish they showed it for the full song! Very interesting snippet that Johnny thought the music to Some Girls was one of his finest achievements but was peeved with Morrissey's silly & flippant lyrics to the masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom