The Smiths - MTV Obituary from 120 Minutes

The Seeker of Good Songs

In a story that MTV is bringing back the 120 Minutes show is a link to the Smiths Obituary from the Original 120 Minutes program.

there are other links to The Cure, Johnny Rotten, Bob Mould and the Pixies interviews at the link

the link:
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/03/17/mtv-120-minutes-120-seconds-matt-pinfield/

the story:

The largely music-less MTV announced today that it will revive and revamp its hugely influential Sunday night alternative-music video outlet “120 Minutes” as a weekly online series called “120 Seconds” on web portal MTV Hive and a monthly show that will be televised on sister network MTV2. In a move sure to divide alt-music fans, the network is bringing back late-’90s host Matt Pinfield — whom the network labels the series’ “most beloved and respected VJ” — rather than the show’s creator and late-’80s, early-’90s host Dave Kendall. In a news release, Pinfield says, “I am elated and proud to be part of bringing back one of the most influential and longest running music shows in the network’s history.”
“120 Minutes” originally ran on MTV late on Sunday nights from 1986 to 2003, when it was rebranded as “Subterranean” on MTV2; that show ran another four years. Kendall was the series’ first producer, although the show used a rotating cast of hosts until 1989 when he took over on-camera, with Lewis Largent and then Pinfield serving as the main permanent host through the rest of the ’90s and early 2000s.
While MTV is announcing the new series as a relaunch of the franchise, the network has continued to use the “120 Minutes” brand for early morning blocks of classic-alternative videos on VH1 classic. The new online show debuts sometime Friday, according to MTV, while the on-air revival on MTV2 is expected “later this year.”
For much more on the history of “120 Minutes” — including this interview with Kendall and Pinfield conducted after the final taping in 2003 — and to peruse playlists from over the years, visit the indispensable 120 Minutes Archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
we(in germany) didnt get 120 minutes here as far as i can remember.
..but alternative nation(UK) with toby amies
that was when mtv wasnt divided into countries i.e. mtv germany etc-that dividing thing happened in the late90ties-
MTV Uk was great in the early /midtineties...good memories..i have recorded many shows of AN on video...
many of the videos of the bands i saw were very obscure....
i think i remember even the time monday from 0.00 -2-am.i always had to record it as i was going to school at the time..
we in germany also had wahwah at viva.
later viva 2.who played alternative/indie stuff all day-but vvia 2 dissapeared due to making not so high rates
i also remembered lots of bands performing in the A.N. studio
i saw sunday there as the first moz video but wasnt a fan back then. years later when i saw the sunday video on a dvd compilation, i saw again the only scenes that stayed on my mind from that moment years ago: the dog running away with the fur and the annoyed older ladies,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom