The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're musical taste is shockingly infantile.

I would indeed listen to Skrewdriver at full volume, blindfolded for 24 hours in a stress position than some of that codswallop.
You forgot to mention water torture that the likes of you would bask in...

I've been listening to Pulp recently (Different Class). Great album but never really got into them.back in the day. Appreciating now.
One of my fave albums from the 90s I like the earlier stuff from a few years previous, babies ECT. Now that album really takes me back to some good times..

One of my fave albums from the 90s I like the earlier stuff from a few years previous, babies ECT. Now that album really takes me back to some good times..
Good times is what it's all about, baz.

Why don't you know Beyonce? Shocked really.
Have seen the Super Bowl from a few years back when Beyoncé does the half time entertainment, and she gets back with her old band.... it really is a good 15 minute performance... she really does put on a good pie and pea supper....

Sorry, I relent on 9 & 10. Hadn't fully read the list.
Why don't you know Beyonce? Shocked really.
I guess, when the Beyoncé hype started all those years ago I was underwhelmed and I honestly haven’t heard a song by her from start to finish, ever. Until today.

Given Nerak’s endorsement, I gave some of it a go on Apple Music. A few tracks were quite good. One has made it onto my running playlist: Sorry.

Hmmm, Abba? Best track for me is Eagle. Play it loud, good bass, atmospheric..almost believable.

But we digress

I love all her stuff.

I could add Cher, Madonna, the Ronettes, Roisin Murphy, Azealia Banks, Nicki Minaj.. so many.
..but they wouldn't be British bands...& I know how you hate to go off topic.:rolleyes:

I would rather prop Ian Staurt Donaldson's corpse in front of a microphone than listen to Beyonce's tired old girl power shtick.
It’s just a shame you weren’t mangled up in the car with this piece of vermin...

Hmmm, Abba? Best track for me is Eagle. Play it loud, good bass, atmospheric..almost believable.

But we digress
Did ABBA represent UK in Eurovision with Waterloo, or have I been spiked???

My favourite music list would go:

1. Morrissey
2. Kate Bush
3. Kylie Minogue
4. Beyonce
5. Britney Spears
6. ABBA
7. Diana Ross
8. Sophie Ellis Bextor
9. Marianne Faithful
10. Dusty Springfield

11. Randomness

He clambered his way into my heart by wringing every last bit of emotion out of a note & being funny with it.

He might fume a bit - but he loves Twinkle & Sandie Shaw, so he KNOWS why. 🙃

I'm with you on Kate Bush - the best female singer / songwriter that Britain has ever produced. Hounds of Love is a work of art.
Most of the others I wouldn't mention in the same breath to be honest. Apart from Marianne and Dusty.
And where are The Ronettes in your list?

I'm with you on Kate Bush - the best female singer / songwriter that Britain has ever produced. Hounds of Love is a work of art.
Most of the others I wouldn't mention in the same breath to be honest. Apart from Marianne and Dusty.
And where are The Ronettes in your list?

It was tough! I love the Ronettes. I could really have put in Motown & The Wall of Sound to cover them all.

Back
Top Bottom