This months Q Mag

mishima

Banned
The one with the 100 best songs ever (apparently) has a free booklet of 20 years of Rock Photography. the centre spread is the pic of Moz taken at the Griffith Observatory in 1994. Very lovely.

ooh surprise surprise another list from Q

The lists go on, and on, and on

Michael Hann
Friday September 1, 2006
The Guardian

I picked up the Sun on Monday. Its comment page carried a piece about the best songs of all time, based on a poll by Q magazine of its readers (Live Forever by Oasis is that group's favourite ever song). I picked up the Sun on Tuesday, too. Its showbiz pages carried a piece about the best albums of all time, based on a poll by Radio 2 of their listeners (topping that one? Sgt Pepper's). On Wednesday I took a break, and visited US website Pitchforkmedia.com, to catch up with its recent writers' poll of the 200 best tracks of the 60s (the Beach Boys' God Only Knows, this time).

God only knows why they bother with the lists. Well, actually, I know, because I used to edit a glossy football magazine. And I tell you: do not believe any editor who says polls make a great talking point and get readers involved in the publication. I used to commission lists and polls because I knew some news editor, somewhere on one of the nationals, would run it as a news story. I knew radio producers would call me up to talk about my magazine. My greatest triumph - a poll of UK football managers to discover the greatest manager ever - got coverage in every paper and across TV and radio. The actual content was largely irrelevant: just feel the free advertising.
Before listmania took over magazines, polls had a point. In the mid-80s, when the NME ran a greatest-albums-ever poll of its writers, it was fascinating. It had last conducted the same exercise 10 years before, and in the intervening decade punk had changed the landscape of music completely. The poll acted as a barometer of how tastes and perceptions had changed. It informed, it didn't just list. But when a new poll of the greatest bongo solos ever, or the best album cover of all time comes along every 10 minutes, it serves no purpose whatever. There is no way to offer new analysis about something that has already been picked over as assiduously as city rats take apart a discarded piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken. So we suffer the same endlessly repeated platitudes: that the Stone Roses' first album revolutionised British indie, that Nevermind captured the feelings of an alienated generation. I knew that. I read it in Q, or Mojo, or Uncut. Last month, or the month before that, or in June. Polls reduce discussion to the level of soundbite, and force comparisons where none should exist (who's the greater? The Velvet Underground or Prince? Can you answer that? Honestly? Without resort to prejudice?).

And they cheat, the pollsters. Not always - and doubtless the ones I mention at the top are wholly innocent. But I've heard enough music magazine writers tell tales of despairing at their readers' tastes and inserting some of their own choices to feel that some of them, at least, must be true. One friend, working on a major TV channel pop poll, happily told me that filming of the programme had ended that day, and listed the top 10. The channel in question continued imploring its viewers to use its premium rate phone line to vote for a further week. Note, too, that you never know how many people voted. That's because it's probably - especially in the lower reaches of the list - bare handfuls. (That greatest triumph of mine? The 20th placed manager in that list received - count it - one vote.)

So next time a magazine asks you to shell out four quid to read its list, or email in your vote, ignore them. Protest. Spend an hour instead compiling your own list: the 50 most pointless rock polls of all time.

Thats a young Tony Blair :)

Nah James Harries. I gave a potted biography somewhere else on this website.. See if I can find it for you

Yes.. BACK BY PUBLIC DEMAND!!!

"I work in an antique shop. My name is James Harries and I'm very clever for my age. No ruffians in here please."

I wish I was cleverer and could link back to it but heres the text:

"Aaargghhh I've been rumbled

His name was James Harries. He was on Wogan and Oprah and all sorts. He also used to live down the orad from me and get his brother for tea when we were playing football over the park.

"Adam, dinners ready Mummy says...." Obviously gay as f**k back then! He had ridiculous curly hair even then

Anyway what a local celebrity!!! His father tried to sue the government about the environment or something. And lost. And then burnt down the shop in an insurance fraud scam. (this may be not chronologically correct but...)

Her name now is Lauren Harries (I think) She and her brother recently got beaten up. It was on the front page of the "Echo" (local evening rag) The photo was hilarious (I think I'm a bit sick!) and looks slightly fake IMHO. But then people are narrow-minded too...

And a search on google reveals this. Maybe I'll change my avatar to Lauren soon....

http://www.tongs.org.uk/wiki.pl?JamesHarries"

ENJOY

mishima said:
The one with the 100 best songs ever (apparently) has a free booklet of 20 years of Rock Photography. the centre spread is the pic of Moz taken at the Griffith Observatory in 1994. Very lovely.

Yes I love that photo, looking forward to going to the exhibition. Can a print of that photo be bought does anyone know ?

wizbit said:
bluebirds i congratulate you lol
that was one of the funniest things ive read today! wonder if he looks like his dad?! i remember the show the salon, when "lauren" made an appointment and wanted to go blonde but they refused saying shed go bald, a few weeks later she did it anyway. keep that userpic ! i demand it! its the little things in life!
this is a pic of lauran when he went "blonde"---:)
HA! I remember that. She was all confused. Her hair was like a nest, though. You could've made a fire with it. And that is definitely face paint.

Did you see that Dave Allen documentary on Channel 4 about two years ago? It was all about their family and how fraudulent they are. All they're degrees were fake and from the internet and they were trying to defend them. It was hilarious.

Last edited:
That creepy wee bugger!

I remember him on Oprah, he freaked me out! Had a real weird voice, he was givin Oprah some sob story about teachers stealing his cake at school, even Oprah looked bored as f***.....

Anyway, can anyone post the image that was in Q Catalogue, I refuse to buy that piece of shit magazine again. Will never forget the issue YATQ got 2 * while Avril Lavigne's 2nd album got 4 *!:mad:

PS Wizbit, your avatar is great!:)

wizbit said:
yup go for it! that pic always makes me laugh! just watched the ending of pink flamingos on youtube, god divine must have gums of steel wonder if she took the rest home in a doggy bag lol
Oh, God... Even thinking about that makes me feel queasy. She doesn't even flinch.

Back
Top Bottom