Q Mag special - Vini Reilly comments

A

Anonymous

Just a morsel from the current Q mag 'Manchester' special. There is an interview with Vini Reilly in which he states that he loved working on Viva Hate (already known) and that he suggested to Moz that the follow up be like Patti Smith's 'Radio Ethiopia' which Moz agreed to at first but then changed his mind.

Anyway, the interesting bit is that Reilly says, when asked about working with Moz, that he would "definitely do it again".

Since the band are a bit 'repetetive' these days in terms of their songwriting, how about it Moz? Give Vini a call. The next album would certainly be different and, since Reilly consistently produces quality music, most likely excellent.

Won't happen though sadly.

I'd recommend you watch Vini's comments in the 'Morrissey: The Jewel In The Crown' unoffiicial DVD - the guy is clearly mentally unstable, and Moz would do well to keep his distance...

> I'd recommend you watch Vini's comments in the 'Morrissey: The Jewel In
> The Crown' unoffiicial DVD - the guy is clearly mentally unstable, and Moz
> would do well to keep his distance...

Agreed. He comes across as someone who has completely lost his grip on reality.

By the by - the Jewel In the Crown DVD has a very poor reputation - but if you want some real in-depth stuff on the messy Viva Hate/Bona Drag period it's bloody interesting stuff.

> By the by - the Jewel In the Crown DVD has a very poor reputation - but if
> you want some real in-depth stuff on the messy Viva Hate/Bona Drag period
> it's bloody interesting stuff.

Yes. Sheds light on the real reason why Morrissey split with Stephen Street as well from people who were actually there. Very different to the version we often get from journalists.

Wanting Moz to get rid of Alain and Boz is like wanting him to get rid of Johnny in 1985.

i.e. bloody stupid and unrealistic.

Do people not realise they're a BAND???

Suprised how close it seems Moz came to getting back together with Graig Gannon and co permanently during that period. Would have been strange if the ex-Smiths band of the Interesting Durg/Playboys period had kept together on a long-term basis- though I also wonder if Moz was just trying to use that as a carrot to stop them suing him, then would have dumped them all again a few years down the line...

how about someone put this jewel in the crown thingy on youtube.com? Oh go on.

yeah, i would like to see it too (though there seem to be very mixed opnions about it).

> how about someone put this jewel in the crown thingy on youtube.com? Oh go
> on.

This comparison is greatly exaggerated

This is a heck of a band.

Spencer, Woodie Taylor, Spencer, Spike Smith, Deano, Matt Chamberlain, Matt Walker on drums

Alain, Little Barrie, Jessie Tobias on lead guitar

Gary Day, Johnny Bridgewood, Gary Day on bass

Roger Manning, Mikey Farrel on key.

Boz on 2nd guitar

Alain has very little to do with the current record and nothing to do with the tour.

The rhythm section keeps changing.

Saying that bringing Vini back in would be like ditching Marr is crazy. Marr is a legend. Boz, Alain, Jesse and everyone else Moz has worked with are pretty much no-names with Morrissey and Vini Reilly is the same.

I'm not saying they don't have talent. They do. I've enjoyed the work of all of them but if Vini Reilly came back to do some work, that wouldn't break up this "band" since they have had replaceable parts for over 10 years.

Re: This comparison is greatly exaggerated

You say Alain has had little do with the new album - It's 12 songs long and Jesse has written only five of them, Boz has written none. I'll leave you to work out what that means.

The threesome of Moz, Boz and Alain is the band, the rest are irrelevent, as were Mike and Andy back in the day. Without those two Morrissey career would've ended back in 1991 with Kill Uncle.

Is it any good the Manchester special of Q, as i was in the centre of Rock n roll today (asda) and i saw it and thought, right thats for me, that is.
£5.99 the robbing bastards, is it worth it, or is it the same old shit they constantly churn out.

cheers

Re: But ... It IS a band

Gary Day is clearly not irrelevant. Just listen to him on any of his recordings, watch him on the 'M in Manchester' DVD etc. Sheer class and really part of the band. I think going for Boz, Alan (and Gary) was an inspired choice of musicians, writing partners and colleagues. They have come up with some real gems over 15 years of working together and everything turned out for the best... Morrissey does give them the respect they deserve, too ... see the Q & A in True to you.
It's a pity Alan is not on this tour due to his Red Lightning committments ( I think he is in spirit though)... but at least Jesse seems to be the ideal live replacement. Can't wait until Amsterdam!

Back
Top Bottom