8 Not releasing "There is a light..." as a single when first recorded
7 Madstock
6 Writing with Mark Nevin
5 That court case
4 Going round Julie Birchil's house
3 Forthcoming Channel 4 documentary
2 Falling out with Johnny Marr
1 Recording anything after Vauxhall and I

I would make 2 exceptions, and they both are debatable. One I like Kill Uncle as a bad album of good songs. The Nevin compositions of 'Sing Your Life', 'King Leer', 'There is a Place', and 'End of the Family Line' are some of my favorite Moz songs. Ok, they're packaged with some of the worse Moz songs- 'Harsh Truth', 'Found found Found', etc.

I also am a strong supporter of Southpaw Grammar. A good album of bad songs? It might not have been the right step after Vauxhall, the lyrics are weak, but it is a rocker, and I listen to it alot.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure someone will take their time to flame me.

I'd alos like to add on Moz's penchant for cancelling/rescheduling concert dates as one of his worst mistakes.

i like both kill uncle and southpaw. i listen to southpaw more, but kill uncle definitely has some good songs on it. i think what hurts mosts about it is that it starts off with "our frank" which is as good as anything off viva hate and bona drag (and even strangeways!), but then moves into a clunker like "asian rut." it's like good song, bad song, good song, bad song, and so on. the lyrics are also bizarre, with morrissey throwing in some very offbeat, random things (i.e. homeless chihuahua, red pullover), which give it an odd, insular feel.

southpaw grammar, on the other hand, has nary a weak track. i like some better than others, but all of them are indeed rockin'. it has the rockingest first track of any morrissey project since "the headmaster ritual" on meat is murder, a comparison which he probably wanted us to make judging from the inverted subject matter. also, it has one of the best closers ever. i LOVE "southpaw."

i also think that maladjusted has some sublime moments. again, it has a very strong opener, several growers, and a great closer. "alma matters" gets a lot of flack, but i think it's a good song. for some reason, it reminds me of "at amber." i get the same feeling from both of them. "ammunition" is a gorgeous song and i WILL get flamed for this, but i like "he cried." moz's voice sounds so strange in it. i also like SWCITE because moz has a wonderful speaking voice.

Here's mine:
1, Changing the managers too often in The Smith's days, hence...
2, Not having finances sorted very well
3, Falling out with Marr
4, Falling out with Stephen Street
5, Leaving EMI for RCA
6, Not doing enough interviews in past few years to help get a record deal
7, Sticking with his band for too long (they're not as bad as some people say, but they've run out of ideas a bit in my opinion)
8, Living in Los Angeles
9, Kill Uncle (Not a terrible album, but I think Your Arsenal would have been even more successful had it followed on from a great album)
10, The outfits he wore on the last concert - it's the first time he hasn't shown good taste since the early days of the Smiths.

Again, these are just my opinions - I'm sure people will agree with some and strongly disagree with others, but there you go.

Don't rake up his mistakes. He knows exactly what they are. And what do you do? Well, you just sit there....

Back
Top Bottom