Top 100 films of all time

Well dear, we don't really give a toss, as it were, what Kev was doing, do we? The Spacester can do as he pleases!!!!

We most certainly do not and he most certainly can. :)

Yeah, I’ve used that excuse as well!

Oh, you have, have you? Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more!

I bet he gives a 'toss'... but he was walking his dog at the time;)

:mad:

Well, as Lester said in the shower,
"This will be the high point of my day; it's all downhill from here":)

:D

Even it's joke, very silly.

Most of the films listed by Cahires du Cinema I can watch more than 10 times which are called CLASSICS.

Very few films made after 1980s have that quality and standard.

A lot of movies were made after 1980. Some of them are very good.

The only movie on that list that was made after the year 1980 is Schindler's List- definitely not a top quality movie.

Do you realize that according to your definition of a classic movie, the world's greatest movie must be The Rocky Horror Picture Show or something a like?

Do you realize that according to your definition of a classic movie, the world's greatest movie must be The Rocky Horror Picture Show or something a like?

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, God said, "Let there be lips!" And there were. And they were good.

:D

A lot of movies were made after 1980. Some of them are very good.

The only movie on that list that was made after the year 1980 is Schindler's List- definitely not a top quality movie.

Excuse me, it's not audience satisfaction poll.

How many non-English launguage films have you watched?

I started watching films since 1977, mainly I watch non-Japanese films (40% English, 25% French, 5% Japanese, 30% others such as Italian, Spanish, German, Iranian etc).

Cahires du Cinema critics watch not only French films, but also all the films have been made regardless the countries and the era.
Their choice is better than AFI.

Last edited:
i've seen all of those movies. what do i win?

i think they are pretty crappy lists to be honest.

i've seen all of those movies. what do i win?

i think they are pretty crappy lists to be honest.

:eek:

Would you be able to post your all time Top 20?

Not your favourite 20 films please!

*edit*
Just noticed that Cahires du Cinema Top 20 does not have Ingmar Bergman's film which is very unusual.
I was given a book "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" 2003 edition.
It has 10 Bergman films which is unfair.
I watched about 670 films listed in the book.

Last edited:
Excuse me, it's not audience satisfaction poll.

How many non-English launguage films have you watched?

I started watching films since 1977, mainly I watch non-Japanese films (40% English, 25% French, 35% others such as Italian, Spanish, German, Iranian etc).

Cahires du Cinema critics watch not only French films, but also all the films have been made regardless the countries and the era.
Their choice is better than AFI.

There's almost a complete absence of movies from the past 3 (!) decades on that list. Surly in the past 30 years good movies have been made, English speaking or otherwise. Don't you think it says something about the relevance of that list?

(What a coincidence, I too mainly watch non-Japanese films!)

nah, sorry. can't be bothered to think. i will however list some things i disagree with.

no kurosawa, no herzog, no bunuel, no jodorowsky, no greenaway, no dr. strangelove, not enough comedy, i would switch the two murnau films, citizen kane...

i'm sure strangelove is there later in the list, but i think it should be higher. i'm also sure kurosawa will have a spot somewhere on the list, but i can think of at least three or four of his films that could take the spots of any of those in the top 20.

There's almost a complete absence of movies from the past 3 (!) decades on that list. Surly in the past 30 years good movies have been made, English speaking or otherwise. Don't you think it says something about the relevance of that list?

(What a coincidence, I too mainly watch non-Japanese films!)

Critics tends to choose older films I guess.

In your case Japanese is not your mother tongue.
In other words you mainly watch English language films, hardly bother to watch non-English language films.

nah, sorry. can't be bothered to think. i will however list some things i disagree with.

no kurosawa, no herzog, no bunuel, no jodorowsky, no greenaway, no dr. strangelove, not enough comedy, i would switch the two murnau films, citizen kane...

i'm sure strangelove is there later in the list, but i think it should be higher. i'm also sure kurosawa will have a spot somewhere on the list, but i can think of at least three or four of his films that could take the spots of any of those in the top 20.

Very good point.

Do you know that thirty years ago's poll did not have a Hitchcock film in top 20?

Critics tends to choose older films I guess.

In your case Japanese is not your mother tongue.
In other words you mainly watch English language films, hardly bother to watch non-English language films.

English is not my mother tongue. I think it's pretty obvious. Note that I didn't say anything about my taste in movies or my movie-watching habits.

Last edited:
Theneverplayedsymphony's top 20:
1. Withnail & I
2. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
3. The Boys
4. Billy Liar
5. East of Eden
6. Lolita (the original)
7. Harvey
8. Jules et Jim
9. Devdas
10. If....

Last edited:
hmmmmm

Theneverplayedsymphony's top 20:
1. Withnail & I
2. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
3. The Boys
4. Billy Liar
5. East of Eden
6. Lolita (the original)
7. Harvey
8. Rocky Horror Picture Show
9. Serpico
10. If....

Sorry mate, this is not a thread to discuss your favourite films. :o

Your list only has English language films. :(

Re: hmmmmm

Sorry mate, this is not a thread to discuss your favourite films. :o

Your list only has English language films. :(

:D Just thought I'd educate the people!:p

Hmmm, yes, it does... Rocky Horror Picture Show could go, I've gotten sick of it... I'd replace it with Jules et Jim!:D

Edit: Oh, I forgot Devdas too!

Last edited:
I've seen 15 of the French bunch and all of the American list.

The French list is pretty awful but hey that's the French for you.

Back
Top Bottom