Washington, DC - The Anthem (Oct. 18, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Alma Matters / Half A Person / I Wish You Lonely / Let Me Kiss You / How Soon Is Now? / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / The Loop / Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Irish Blood, English Heart / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of "Right in the Head".

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned but Moz's a capella for the night was a couple lines from this song...

great show as always. the anthem is where i almost always see him these days exceptions being the echo theatre or club once also in dc and the PA show in redding which is my fav of all of them. the anthem is a beautiful venue in a really pretty newish area of dc though parking sucks as the venue is on the wharf in a pedestrian only area. never seen him have a problem with security previously and i was at the death cab/postal service and the staff is usually pretty sweet. still have all my moz peta handouts. i use them as bookmarks for my morrissey reading like james deans not dead or auto etc. i was a bit sick though so sorry to the people near me if ive made you ill as i currently still am. for those going have fun at the ny shows

Not sure if this was mentioned but Moz's a capella for the night was a couple lines from this song...

It’s the Elvis version I know. Moz was possibly inspired by that one. Great song.

The front row seats are so close to the railing over which the orchestra pit lies that noone except the front row and the second row (the woman from the row behind jumped right behind me) could fit in between the front row seats and the railing. That's why I bought them. I knew noone would be in front of me.

The people who usually run from further back and steal the barrier from people who aren't aware they need to be doing the same had to stand in the aisles at either side which caused some friction with security. There was no barrier just a below waist height gold railing in front of the front seats hence the stampede into the pit made by many at the end.

I remember him saying he asked them to move the band members and the equipment further forward, but the stage wasn't any closer even though I wish it had been. It still felt like a gulf between the stage and front.

I hope you had just as great a time as I did! I don't like cities, but after spending 3 days in Liverpool it has become my favourite city in the UK. If he plays there again, I would go, for sure. Just mentioning as I see you're from that area.
Yeah that explains it, I was more to the side on the second night so didn't get as clear a view of the people by the barrier more centrally

why are security so rough on people,what do they think those fans were going to do,has he ever been injured by a stage invader,not to my knowledge,some can be over enthusiastic but not in a nasty way.they are nothing more than an organised gang.

Here's as much of the banter as I could understand. My recording wasn't nearly as good as usual, probably because I was looking at my phone typing in the setlist!

Two a capella lines of Eddy Arnold's "Make the World Go Away": Make the world go away; just get it off of my shoulder.
"We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful"
Thank you. I'm pleased to be here--where am I?
"Our Frank"
You (?) will not be afraid. You have nothing to fear. Relax. Get your rocks off. I can't read your sign, but I'm, I'm sure it's nice.
"Suedehead"
Thank you.
"Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before"
Thank you, thank you. Alright--this is the stage. There's a huge gap between (?) the audience and me, (indistinct)
"Alma Matters"
I realize I'm, I'm very, I realize I'm very weird, but I'm not, I'm not gonna spend the night watching security walk up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down. A very nice flag you have. I see it was censored, it was censored; I wonder why? Ah, we live in strange time. Will we make it? Will we make it? (mumbles)
"Half a Person"
And unfortunately, it IS the story of my life. GOD, help me.
"I Wish You Lonely"
It's very nice of you to drag yourself along here tonight. I'm sure you had, I'm sure you had other things to do, like, uh, washing your hair, clipping your toenails, yes. I think I just about (mumbles). Well, I'm speechless. We shall be married in the spring.
"Let Me Kiss You"
This song has been played in many ways through the ages, and this is one of them.
"How Soon Is Now?"
When you sing a song, it's a bit like taking a lie-detector test. (indistinct) taken; I'm sure you have. But if you're insincere when you sing, you can't get away with it, although, although, many of us do, so. What the hell am I talking about? (indistinct)
"Girlfriend in a Coma"
Thanks.
"Darling, I Hug a Pillow," followed by a piano solo
Thank you.
"The Loop"
Soak (?), probably. Would you please say hello to Camilla Gray (?), to Jesse Tobias, to Brendan Buckley, to Juan Galliano, to Carmen Van den Berg. Who, who am I? I am nothing, nothing. I crawl across this world, across this earth. Not the world, earth, nothing. I have a handkerchief, and that, that, that's you.
"Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way"
You see, we have many strings to our bow, many strings to our bow. Although, my bow. I was on the sofa, I was on the sofa, HA! I was on the sofa--oh, was it? How interesting--both hands shoved into a big bag of Ruffles. Such a perfect moment. Sure enough, sure enough, the blasted telephone rings.
"Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings"
I was telling a really, really boring story last week, whereby we had been invited onto a New York TV show, to sing a song--what else?--and they said "Do you have anything that's 'morning friendly." We probably just said, "Don't be silly." And sent them this song, "Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings," knowing they wouldn't accept it. THEY DID! If a miracle could happen once, it could happen twice.
"Irish Blood, English Heart"
Thank you, thank you.
Are you alright, Trinity (?) Any complaints? No complaints? I love complaints. What one? I meant Trinity.
"Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want," followed by a piano solo
"Everyday Is Like Sunday"
"Jack the Ripper"
The rats, the rats, thousands of rats, millions of rats, with their bulging eyes, they (indistinct) you, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats. I've got you, I've got you, I've got you.

(encore)
Each band member returns to the stage and says a few words, most of which is in Spanish that I can't possibly translate.​
It depends on what you're looking for, I suppose, but could we, could we have a HUGE hand for somebody who was very unwell today, but she's done very well, Fatan (?). Oh, Washington, so much to answer for.
"Speedway"
He repeated "steady, steady, security, steady" to the bouncers and stage invaders.
Humming after the "shut, good and proper" break, before the engine starts up.

😍:clap: thank you! Now that’s how it’s done!

Screenshot_20231019-160811~2.png

Roxy's Virginia Plain added (last Roxy song used in pre-show reel: The Pride And The Pain '14-'17).
I'd query the Anything Goes - I believe it's the Lypsinka version of said.
Everything else already logged.
FWD.

why are security so rough on people,what do they think those fans were going to do,has he ever been injured by a stage invader,not to my knowledge,some can be over enthusiastic but not in a nasty way.they are nothing more than an organised gang.
All it takes is some deluded/demented nutcase to smuggle a knife in, and then no more MOZI. Surprised he still lets people on the stage.

Hmm, yes. M would do better to hire the Hell’s Angels.

I agree. Also, as I mentioned in another thread there always seems to be a chasm between the front row/barrier and stage at UK shows making it difficult for people to shake his hand or stage invade. In America there is often no barrier and the front row are right up against the stage. That isn't exactly fair.

He was telling the security to leave. He was upset with them the whole night and they were being rough with people who got over the barrier.
This was my 17th show. Like clockwork the video montage begins at 8:00. It runs approx. 1/2 hour then he takes the stage. HSIN has been played first on occasion. In 2019 he played it first for most shows. However, he is either playing it first, somewhere around song 5-7 or last on this tour. I knew it would be in the set but wasn’t sure where it would land. He likes to switch up the set list order each night. He was mad at security. He made many comments and gestures throughout the night regarding it. It is tradition for the “stage storming” to occur at most shows. The last show he played at The Anthem in 2017, the rail was only about 2-3 feet from the stage. I was able to shake his hand. He thrives on interaction with the audience. When I stood for 3 hours and finally got inside to find they had pushed us back that far from stage, I knew there would be trouble. It was a huge disappointment. I feel like the large gap was way more dangerous than just setting us up closer. There are those satisfied with a handshake and those who, no matter what, will attempt to make it on stage. That 8-10 foot gap just made it so much more dangerous. I saw at least 2 people whack their heads on the floor. I get it, their choice, but still. I’ve seen him leave the stage a few times during the encore because it just got too overwhelming but last night I think the biggest issue was the security. The security getting in was also WAY more “extra” than is has previously been and they also roped off the area going into the venue to keep people from entering and immediately running for the front. I get liability issues but it was a bit excessive. Show was great otherwise and his voice was magical as always - band was fantastic considering newer members overall and one was under the weather. Glad I could take my son this time.

It’s the Elvis version I know. Moz was possibly inspired by that one. Great song.
I had to Google it. I recorded that and then put my phone away for the rest of the show.

Here's as much of the banter as I could understand. My recording wasn't nearly as good as usual, probably because I was looking at my phone typing in the setlist!

Two a capella lines of Eddy Arnold's "Make the World Go Away": Make the world go away; just get it off of my shoulder.
"We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful"
Thank you. I'm pleased to be here--where am I?
"Our Frank"
You (?) will not be afraid. You have nothing to fear. Relax. Get your rocks off. I can't read your sign, but I'm, I'm sure it's nice.
"Suedehead"
Thank you.
"Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before"
Thank you, thank you. Alright--this is the stage. There's a huge gap between (?) the audience and me, (indistinct)
"Alma Matters"
I realize I'm, I'm very, I realize I'm very weird, but I'm not, I'm not gonna spend the night watching security walk up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down. A very nice flag you have. I see it was censored, it was censored; I wonder why? Ah, we live in strange time. Will we make it? Will we make it? (mumbles)
"Half a Person"
And unfortunately, it IS the story of my life. GOD, help me.
"I Wish You Lonely"
It's very nice of you to drag yourself along here tonight. I'm sure you had, I'm sure you had other things to do, like, uh, washing your hair, clipping your toenails, yes. I think I just about (mumbles). Well, I'm speechless. We shall be married in the spring.
"Let Me Kiss You"
This song has been played in many ways through the ages, and this is one of them.
"How Soon Is Now?"
When you sing a song, it's a bit like taking a lie-detector test. (indistinct) taken; I'm sure you have. But if you're insincere when you sing, you can't get away with it, although, although, many of us do, so. What the hell am I talking about? (indistinct)
"Girlfriend in a Coma"
Thanks.
"Darling, I Hug a Pillow," followed by a piano solo
Thank you.
"The Loop"
Soak (?), probably. Would you please say hello to Camilla Gray (?), to Jesse Tobias, to Brendan Buckley, to Juan Galliano, to Carmen Van den Berg. Who, who am I? I am nothing, nothing. I crawl across this world, across this earth. Not the world, earth, nothing. I have a handkerchief, and that, that, that's you.
"Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way"
You see, we have many strings to our bow, many strings to our bow. Although, my bow. I was on the sofa, I was on the sofa, HA! I was on the sofa--oh, was it? How interesting--both hands shoved into a big bag of Ruffles. Such a perfect moment. Sure enough, sure enough, the blasted telephone rings.
"Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings"
I was telling a really, really boring story last week, whereby we had been invited onto a New York TV show, to sing a song--what else?--and they said "Do you have anything that's 'morning friendly." We probably just said, "Don't be silly." And sent them this song, "Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings," knowing they wouldn't accept it. THEY DID! If a miracle could happen once, it could happen twice.
Thank you, thank you.
Are you alright, Trinity (?) Any complaints? No complaints? I love complaints. What one? I meant Trinity.
"Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want," followed by a piano solo
"Everyday Is Like Sunday"
"Jack the Ripper"
The rats, the rats, thousands of rats, millions of rats, with their bulging eyes, they (indistinct) you, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats, rats. I've got you, I've got you, I've got you.

(encore)
Each band member returns to the stage and says a few words, most of which is in Spanish that I can't possibly translate.​
It depends on what you're looking for, I suppose, but could we, could we have a HUGE hand for somebody who was very unwell today, but she's done very well, Fatan (?). Oh, Washington, so much to answer for.
"Speedway"
He repeated "steady, steady, security, steady" to the bouncers and stage invaders.
Humming after the "shut, good and proper" break, before the engine starts up.
Weird. He did the rats thing at my show in Nashville, too. I wonder why

There are lots of complaints on Morrissey Solo about the set lists.

I assume that Morrissey’s position is he sings the songs that he wants to sing.

I imagine he feels that the moment he sings songs solely because the audience demands them he ceases to be an artist and becomes merely a performer.

That may be frustrating if it means he doesn’t sing the songs you want to hear.

But that’s Morrissey and always has been.

If you don’t like him, don’t look at him.
Most of the people complaining didn't actually attend the show. The people who did attend have been positive overall. I went to the St. Pete show and it was outstanding. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and he played plenty of hits. In all honesty, it was one of the best concerts I have been to, and I have attended hundreds including Morrissey several times.

Weird. He did the rats thing at my show in Nashville, too. I wonder why
The rats thing has been going on for a few years.

Someone in Vegas last year brought a plastic rat to try to give it to him but I don't think she was able to.

It comes from this...

"I Wish You Lonely"
It's very nice of you to drag yourself along here tonight. I'm sure you had, I'm sure you had other things to do, like, uh, washing your hair, clipping your toenails, yes. I think I just about (mumbles). Well, I'm speechless. We shall be married in the spring

The last two lines were in response to a lady shouting “I love you”

"How Soon Is Now?"

The first ‘indistinct’, he said “which I’ve never taken”.

Thank you, thank you.

I thought that for the first “Trinity’”, he said “Tennessee”, where the previous two shows were. I was watching a recording on YouTube and he did say “Trinity” first, I think.

(encore)
Carmen, at least, spoke in Italian.

Last edited:
Pic by @basia_ana

baska.jpg

Someone in Vegas last year brought a plastic rat to try to give it to him but I don't think she was able to.

It comes from this...

At times I've half expected him to change this routine to something like 'phones, phones, thousands of phones', but guess that would detract slightly from the theatre of the whole JTR song...

It comes from this...

think you may want to watch that particular clip, lol.

Most of the people complaining didn't actually attend the show. The people who did attend have been positive overall. I went to the St. Pete show and it was outstanding. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and he played plenty of hits. In all honesty, it was one of the best concerts I have been to, and I have attended hundreds including Morrissey several times.
I saw him in Folkestone doing a similar set list and thought it was marvellous.

Back
Top Bottom