WPINOYB: Is the album growing on you?

a song like bullfighter makes much more musical sense when listened with the album straight through. youve got the heaviness and unpleasantness of neal cassidy, world peace doing its thing, the long weighty im not a man, the dourness of istanbul and the suddenly this accordion just opens up and smiles as it introduces three of the albums breeziest songs in bullfighter/staircase and kiss me a lot before going back into dense more sour territory.

Years of Refusal is the only Morrissey album I've never owned as absolutely none of it appealed to me and still doesn't really. I bought Autobiography on day of release but only ever dipped in and out as I've never been too interested in his private life. But this album is incredible. For me, it's absolutely without question my favourite that he's done since 1997 and I would probably agree that's his best ever along with Vauxhall and Arsenal.

Yes! Highlighs of my first listen were:
"Oboe Concerto" - flawless gem
"Forgive Someone" – timeless, avoiding fad or fashion
"Istanbul "– sweaty, oppressive and made me physically shrink.
"Mountjoy" - has the authentic voice of incarceration

I wonder if Mountjoy was written in hospital - after prison hospitals must be the most limiting and soul destroying places there are. Believe me! Upon release from hospital simple things (like the sky) can overwhelm.
Neals Cassidy…. is the song that has climbed most in my esteem – there is a song I CAN STAND and stuck in my head. The song I most looked forward to hearing was Staircase… In my imagination I could hear an emotional epic to rival "Angel, Angel, We Go Down Together". Sadly, Staircase…. has not delivered, but I might be wrong; the style might be right – the people who should care about the student are emotionally stunted.

I am off now to meet a bridesmaid and get giddy on red wine. I hopes she tell all (and more than she was willing to say). In return, I will provide the scissors to take to that awful dress she wore! She has a natural beauty that does not need make-up.

Laugh long my friend.

maybe mountjoy is a song about mental illness and the roller coaster it can send you on. a continuation of something is squeezing my skull from the previous album. or maybe the prison of un returned love and lifelong yearning for something or someone you cant have with no understanding why it has to be this way. like a sniper in the wing like a shadow on your lung itll always be waiting (cause its a part of you and could take you down at any time). dont really believe its about either i suppose but i havent looked as closely to those lyrics yet as i have to other songs.

Back
Top Bottom