Another PJW discussion

A

Anonymous

I think people have given Morrissey the benefit of the doubt many times over the last 40 years and it comes to the point where you think to yourself, f*** maybe he is racist or if not definitely prejudice. How many times will he put his foot in hit mouth and you as a fan keep defending him for it? He keeps doing it and doesn’t learn from it because the fan base allows him to keep doing it because you keep supporting him and his conduct without any repercussions. He’s immensely talented there is no arguing that, but the things he has said last few years is definitely off putting.
Agree especially when he posts links to Inforwars (Paul Watson Jr.) on his official website to validate his views on diversity. How can he be so ignorant as to associate himself and actually promote such horrible people that called sandy hook a conspiracy and then write a song about dead teenagers? Sam has clearly said he "does not approve" what goes on Morrissey's official Website so you can't blame it on his nephew. Brilliant artist no doubt, but hard to believe Morrissey shares similar views to those peddled on Infowars and that he actually promotes these awful people on his official Website. Definitely off putting.

Agree especially when he posts links to Inforwars (Paul Watson Jr.) on his official website to validate his views on diversity. How can he be so ignorant as to associate himself and actually promote such horrible people that called sandy hook a conspiracy and then write a song about dead teenagers? Sam has clearly said he "does not approve" what goes on Morrissey's official Website so you can't blame it on his nephew. Brilliant artist no doubt, but hard to believe Morrissey shares similar views to those peddled on Infowars and that he actually promotes these awful people on his official Website. Definitely off putting.
Mmm I don't think he's posted links to Infowars, but to a couple videos by PJW on YouTube? And I don't think it was PJW who called Sandy Hook a conspiracy theory?

What Sam said is that he doesn't decide what goes on Moz Central, not that he doesn't approve (FWD made a very good case that at least sometimes it is Sam who posts on Central, though I do not think he would post any political videos).

Mmm I don't think he's posted links to Infowars, but to a couple videos by PJW on YouTube? And I don't think it was PJW who called Sandy Hook a conspiracy theory?

What Sam said is that he doesn't decide what goes on Moz Central, not that he doesn't approve (FWD made a very good case that at least sometimes it is Sam who posts on Central, though I do not think he would post any political videos).
As an analogy, you work for the KKK, but you are not a racist. Your mentor and colleague is Alex Jones, but you see yourself as not part of sandy hook and the whole Infowars trash heap. Have you ever heard of the term guilt by association? PJW was quoted as saying: "I really think you should press the button to wipe Jews off the face of the Earth", but of course he is not antisemitic. Regardless of all that, why on earth would Morrissey promote someone affiliated with Infowars (i.e. Sandy Hook) on his official Website especially when he is trying to get a record deal for a record that is about dead teenagers. I can only imagine it is complete ignorance or he actually buys into this sort of stuff.

As an analogy, you work for the KKK, but you are not a racist. Your mentor and colleague is Alex Jones, but you see yourself as not part of sandy hook and the whole Infowars trash heap. Have you ever heard of the term guilt by association? PJW was quoted as saying: "I really think you should press the button to wipe Jews off the face of the Earth", but of course he is not antisemitic. Regardless of all that, why on earth would Morrissey promote someone affiliated with Infowars (i.e. Sandy Hook) on his official Website especially when he is trying to get a record deal for a record that is about dead teenagers. I can only imagine it is complete ignorance or he actually buys into this sort of stuff.
And to clarify I think Morrissey is one of the greatest artist since David Bowie and John Lennon. It is just very sad to see him associate himself with PJW, Alex Jones, and that whole trash heap. Very sad indeed.

Accuracy is a thing. Posting a YT link of a PJW video is not posting an Infowars link, and PJW is not Alex Jones.
For all we know Moz might not even be aware of any association, nor of those (supposed?) comments by PJW... are they alleged or do we know if he said that for sure?

Accuracy is a thing. Posting a YT link of a PJW video is not posting an Infowars link, and PJW is not Alex Jones.
For all we know Moz might not even be aware of any association, nor of those (supposed?) comments by PJW... are they alleged or do we know if he said that for sure?

Whatever dude. PJW is not Alex Jones and Joseph Goebbels is not Adolf Hitler and it is "alleged" that the holocaust never happened and posting a video of Hitler is not posting a video of Mao and on and on. In my book they are all the same pile of shit and certainly not people you want to validate your viewpoint on diversity. Fu$k it who cares anyway.

Unfortunately he’s become everything his younger self has hated. A right wing conservative who feels disenfranchised by there government, which is odd because usually those people are usually poor snd he’s rich, and doesn’t even live in his home country anymore.

I think he used the word 'flagrantly' in the sense of 'obviously' or 'undoubtedly' but the 'racist' word itself is now so over-used and mis-used that it has become totally meaningless. Everything and everyone is considered 'racist' these days. Thomas the Tank Engine is 'racist'. Even just being white is considered 'racist'. It's similar to the accusation of being a witch - if you deny it, then you definitely are one, and if you admit it, then the accusation is confirmed. Sink or float, when they chuck you in the social media witch-trial pond, it's all the same in the end. The accusation sticks.
If you go back in time and read this site it was mostly about Morrissey's music, his tour, his band, The Smiths, Johnny Marr, and other artists. People meeting up at a concert, concert experiences, lyrics, tablature, and such. Now it is about Paul Joseph Watson and Fox News. He was a notional treasure and is one the greatest singer / songwriters England has ever produced bar none, but now he peddles the folks from Infowars on his official Website. It is like going to Depeche Mode's official Website to see a link to Josh Hawley's homepage and how they think he should be the next president of the USA, how much they admire him, and how he stands for what they believe.

If you go back in time and read this site it was mostly about Morrissey's music, his tour, his band, The Smiths, Johnny Marr, and other artists. People meeting up at a concert, concert experiences, lyrics, tablature, and such. Now it is about Paul Joseph Watson and Fox News. He was a notional treasure and is one the greatest singer / songwriters England has ever produced bar none, but now he peddles the folks from Infowars on his official Website. It is like going to Depeche Mode's official Website to see a link to Josh Hawley's homepage and how they think he should be the next president of the USA, how much they admire him, and how he stands for what they believe.
If you actually research before typing, you will find the amount of 'Watson' references is a tiny, tiny fractional minority out of the recently passed figure of 2.25 million comments even if you only look at the last couple of years ("Fox news" - even less).
The current concert & tour posts get a huge amount of traffic - as they did previously.
FWD.

If you actually research before typing, you will find the amount of 'Watson' references is a tiny, tiny fractional minority out of the recently passed figure of 2.25 million comments even if you only look at the last couple of years ("Fox news" - even less).
The current concert & tour posts get a huge amount of traffic - as they did previously.
FWD.
Point well taken. Now let's hope Depeche Mode does not post a link on their main home page aligning themselves with Ted Cruz, how they share his views, and suggest we nominate him for president.

Why not? And if they did, do you have to obey and vote for Ted Cruz? Have you lost all control over your own mental faculties?
No, but they will lose a fan and instead of releasing the best record of their career with sold out shows all over the world they will be relegated to the dustbin of history as somewhat of a joke.

No, but they will lose a fan and instead of releasing the best record of their career with sold out shows all over the world they will be relegated to the dustbin of history as somewhat of a joke.
You can’t like someone because they disagree with you? What a sad way to live. Grow up. Use your own brain. Have your own views/opinions, and let others have theirs.

Will they lose you as a fan? Or will you lose
the pleasure you experience when you choose not to listen to their music?

The choice is yours, it has nothing to do with the artist.

Will they lose you as a fan? Or will you lose
the pleasure you experience when you choose not to listen to their music?

The choice is yours, it has nothing to do with the artist.
No I'm a massive Morrissey Fan, saw the Smiths live in DC in the 80's, thought Dog on a Chain was his best record in years, love the melodic feel of Bonfire and totally understand where he is coming from, Notre Dame reminds me of Start me Up by the Stones and is an excellent track, and for the most part just put it down to Morrissey being Morrisey. May I ask is there anything an artist could do to stop you from loving their music? What if the artist was a convicted podophile would that sway you at all? Would you still buy their new record, wear their T shirts, and attend their concerts (after they were released from prison)? How about promoting (on the main page of your website) people that made there living from dead elementary school children i.e. Infowars and PWJ? Any limit at all or it all has nothing to do with the artist?

And the loss is so much bigger to the fan.

I wonder if the word ‘loss’ ‘lose’ etc. is the correct word to use in our discussion here.

But yes, ultimately it’s a choice. And everyone should make choices based on what’s important to them. Again, it has nothing to do with the artist.

Johnny Marr has moved on and is doing his own thing. He doesn’t live his life hanging on Morrissey’s every word. He praises Morrissey when it is deserved, and criticises what he doesn’t agree with. As most rational, well-rounded adults do.
How about Morrissey is the best singer/songwriter England has ever produced, but is it is rather sad that he associates himself and promotes Infowars on his official Website. Is this valid enough praise/criticism for you?

How about Morrissey is the best singer/songwriter England has ever produced, but is it is rather sad that he associates himself and promotes Infowars on his official Website. Is this valid enough praise/criticism for you?
Yeah. Now, don’t spend your time trying to impress me. Do something more productive; wipe away those tears, go and change the blu tack on all your Morrissey posters in your little bedroom in your mum’s little house.

Yeah. Now, don’t spend your time trying to impress me. Do something more productive; wipe away those tears, go and change the blu tack on all your Morrissey posters in your little bedroom in your mum’s little house.
My mom died recently, but I will take your advice and throw away the Morrissey posters.

Back
Top Bottom