Bands you can't "get"

I try to broaden my musical tastes as much as possible. Stuff I wasn't into as a "kid" I am now into.....that being said, I still don't "get" (understand) certain bands.

That list includes:

-Nick Cave
-Pogues

Not flaming or criticizing them or their followers, just never understood 'em. What albums should of theirs should I listen to?

Post bands you don't get here....

Listen to Nick Cave's "The Good Son"

Those lyrics represent what I just can't get into about the Clash. It's a series of talking points, blunt and without romance.

And its my favorite Clash song, so..... different folks, different strokes!

And its my favorite Clash song, so..... different folks, different strokes!
Exactly. I'll never mock anyone for their musical tastes (unless you're just a massive Katy Perry fan or something) since it's all subjective anyway. I know my tastes are pretty schizophrenic so I can't talk.

American bands and artists and especially The Ramones, what a completely untalented and boring outfit and they looked like freaks from the wild.

The thing with americans is that they can make a song or two worth listening to like Pixies and Sonic Youth but they can never produce something that feels complete when it comes to albums.

Other than that I sort of agree with most people on here so far but music is as we know dead and buried since way back so who really cares about it?

We need to distannce ourselves from music and embrace something better cause in the end it is a bloody waste of time innit?

We need to distannce ourselves from music and embrace something better cause in the end it is a bloody waste of time innit?

So's masturbation but it still feels nice.

There must be room for music in life unless a person wants to live as a mountain hermit somewhere out in nature. Only then could I imagine a life without recorded music, and even then I imagine I'd still spend a fair amount of time singing.

pink floyd. where i come from, people seem to have an obsession with this band. is this happening all around the world? i don't dislike them, i just don't get them, or the people who can say they love gilmour or roger. am i missing something?

Hahaha... I like The Clash.
There are no nands I do not "get", there are bands I absolutely dislike and I do not think I am not getting something.

The idea of "am I missing something? Is there something I do not get?" happens to me in other fields of the arts.
I.e, I understand that there must be something fantastic in the writings of Marcel Proust, but I can't get along with his books.
I.e, I understand that there must be a reason that makes people appreciate Lucien Freud and David Hockney, but I certainly don't get it.

On a similar vein is there anything that you get that nobody else seems to? I'm constantly saying Sufjan Stevens is great to people I know and saying have a listen to this and everyone is like, eh, no, no!?

It usually comes down to whether you like someone's voice. Stevens is a great musician and composer. Come on Feel the Noise (or whatever it's called) is flipping amazing as is Chicago but his voice is pretty irritating. When the music's great, one can overlook the singing.

I agree with everything on here except Kate Bush who I worship. I think we maybe see a little of ourselves in the artists we admire and I feel no kinship with the priveleged Nick Cave and Radiohead whose lyrics are utter gibberish. Only middle class boys would write such bilge. You can't blame them for trying and nobody in their right mind would say "Stop with the plaudits" which they seem to recieve on a daily basis. Good luck to them. I'm not really into serious artists like Floyd and Zeppelin man and I think Christie Hynde is more important than Mick and Keef rolled together.

It usually comes down to whether you like someone's voice. Stevens is a great musician and composer. Come on Feel the Noise (or whatever it's called) is flipping amazing as is Chicago but his voice is pretty irritating. When the music's great, one can overlook the singing.

Yeah, I played someone who hates Sufjan with a passion Gallant's version of My Blue Bucket of Gold and she said "I like this". Like with Morrissey, you either like it or you don't.

pink floyd. where i come from, people seem to have an obsession with this band. is this happening all around the world? i don't dislike them, i just don't get them, or the people who can say they love gilmour or roger. am i missing something?

You sum it up well and it is about not getting it but the most overrated band in the world was of The Beatles. This sorry scouse lot produced some sort of hand clap garbage that was not even pop or rock or blues, it was just simply annoying.

Their music is the equivalent of a tick feeding off your blood and more people than Lennon deserved a bullet for it.

I forgot ABBA, a yawn fest of epic proportions. Not exactly proud to know people from their past.

Music you can dance to that includes the movement of your hips is beyond VILE (yes I said that word on a Moz site for crying out loud).

Breathe!

hristie Hynde is more important than Mick and Keef rolled together.
I sometimes enjoy kief rolled together. Not with Mick though. But you'll never catch me listening to reggae.
It's got nothing to do with Morrissey's opinion, but I guess I am saying I don't "get" 99% of reggae. In a similar vein, I don't get the Grateful Dead, Phish, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwood Mac, or any of that other hippy shit.

Morrissey. I have enough problems of my own without listening to his.

The belly button stare of a grown man turning dull days and no life into attempts at poetry.

The greatest sport has always been to bash Morrissey.

I sometimes enjoy kief rolled together. Not with Mick though. But you'll never catch me listening to reggae.
It's got nothing to do with Morrissey's opinion, but I guess I am saying I don't "get" 99% of reggae. In a similar vein, I don't get the Grateful Dead, Phish, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwood Mac, or any of that other hippy shit.

Oh the Dead.....forgot about them. Also, thanks to anon up above for the Nick Cave suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom